Tell me about cruising with a non-potty trained older toddler.

melsmom12

Look, Mommy, it's Cinderbrella!
My DD is 2.5 years old and not potty trained. I don't think she will be by the time we go on our cruise at the end of January. I am not a rule-breaker and would not risk having her pee in the pool by taking off her diaper, but I also know that they won't let her in the pool with a diaper on. So basically, my almost-3 year old will not be able to swim in the pools the entire week.

Did any of you find yourselves in a similar situation? How did you handle this? How did your child handle this? I'm wondering if we should go on the cruise at all - see my other (very long) post about this.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. :love:

I'll let you know after we get home Nov 1 from our cruise with DS (2 years old!) LOL I think I read that there are splash fountains or something like that by the Mickey Pool for kids with swim diapers. I do wish they'd allow swim diapers in the actual pool since he LOVES to swim.

That's true that the Wonder is the only one with the splash area, but the Magic does have one of the Mickey ears for little ones in swim diapers.

I worried about this same thing in 2005 when DD was 2.5 when we took our cruise. I also worried that since her big brother would be in the Mickey pool, I'd have a hard time keeping her in the designated ear - but she had a great time splashing about and I would distract her from time to time, by having her get out and have a treat/snack or something. She had a popsicle etc. Don't worry about it too much, there's so much to do onboard that providing distractions is easy.

Here's my little one in 2005 having fun in the designated "swim diaper" ear.

DSC00003.jpg

I do wish they'd allow swim diapers in the actual pool since he LOVES to swim.

They can't allow swim diapers because it is against health rules. So even if they wanted to, they can't allow them.

I wanted to say that it caused us a few problems. Both my lo love swimming. They were just 2 (not trained) and almost 4 (trained). My 2 year old had tantrum after tantrum, he would be great in the splash area for a short while then want to join his big brother in mickey pool. It also meant we couldnt use the family pool. We didnt restrict ds1 usage of the pool as he is autistic and water is his great love and it was nice to spend some quality time with both of them alone. ds2 made up for it on CC. Had i been fully aware of this i probably would have waited till ds was a little older. Did it ruin our cruise; No. He did enjoy the splash area although it will fill up with older kids every now and then!

They can't allow swim diapers because it is against health rules. So even if they wanted to, they can't allow them.
I know. Most town pools and places that allow them don't realize that they don't hold the urine in, they just filter it out when the kids pee. I wouldn't want that in my pool either! LOL But it is a shame that the younger ones can't "swim" with the older ones. I hope DS doesn't get upset and not being in the regular pool with DD!

good thing they do not let not potty trained kids in - one child went in during our cruise without his swim doctors - had a poop accident

then they must close the pool for hours basically messing up the sea day for all the other young kids - they must drain the pool, scrub it down, and refill the whole pool

took hours - very inconsiderate of that family - they said - "we took her to the potty before we left the cabin, we thought she was good for as few hours" until she pooped

in addition - an untrained child under 3 is not allowed in the kids club either, they must use Flounders for baby sitting and you pay by the hour for that

if in doubt - reschedule the trip after they are 3 and trained

I was posted a question of why there was so little to do for the 2 to 3 year old on DCL, and that thread got pretty heated and more than a hundred responses. Carnival opens up their kids clubs to 2 and up.

I'd say a fair amount of parents are surprised that their tots can't go swimming on the boat when they CAN go in pretty much every other pool with a swim diaper. My son has been swimming in pools since he was six months old. In Florida, it's standard to have babies in pools, and to get them swim lessons. Doctors pretty much demand it in Florida!

Here's what really happens on board...people ignore the rules. I witnessed this on both cruises we were on. They either just put their child in the pool with a swim diaper until somebody notices...then they tend to take the diaper off and put same child back in the pool. Or they use the hidden swim diapers that are undetectable.

We just got back from the 7night EC on the Magic. I did have trouble keeping DS 3 in the mickey ear for him. He really wanted to be with big sis. Actually he wanted to walk in the water area between the two big ears - and no flames please but being my first time, I though he could walk in that area since it seemed to be separated from the pool. A CM asked me to move little guy to the ear only and I did - no problem (well no problem with me, but little guy wasn't happy). Two times we took him into the Oceaneers area for the 3 year olds and they let us stay with him and play no problem. The Counselors were very nice and he had a ball. I was really worried about keeping him occupied but he had fun. He loved the shows and we bought him a few little toys that he wanted to play with in the cabin for a little bit each day. Over all he did really well. I am glad that on our next voyage he will be potty trained because that will make it a lot easier.

I was posted a question of why there was so little to do for the 2 to 3 year old on DCL, and that thread got pretty heated and more than a hundred responses. Carnival opens up their kids clubs to 2 and up.

Do you have a link to this post? I'd like to know what people said about this topic. Didn't realize it was such a hot one.

Thanks!

I was not aware of the pool rules until reading this thread and I depart on my 7 day Disney Magic cruise with my 2.4 pull up wearing DD THIS SATURDAY! I figured for cleaniless reasons that non potty trained babies would be secluded to specific pool but they only have one ear?? I am disapointed. I mean it is Disney?!?!? I would think they would have a bigger swim area got the little guys in swim diapers. With this new information can those who have cruised with non potty trained children share with me what other options there are to entertain a 2 year old on the days we are at sea???

Lisa, I haven't gone on my cruise yet with the kids, but we went on the 7 day cruise 5 years ago just us. There seemed to be tons to do even w/o swimming (granted I wasn't looking at the kid stuff then! LOL). There are movies and activities as well as the shore excursions (wait, you asked about sea days, didn't you?!). We only have 1 sea day on the 4 night cruise, but I know DS will be entertained enough by going on deck and walking (sorry, RUNNING) around and wandering around the ship, etc.

Lisa, I haven't gone on my cruise yet with the kids, but we went on the 7 day cruise 5 years ago just us. There seemed to be tons to do even w/o swimming (granted I wasn't looking at the kid stuff then! LOL). There are movies and activities as well as the shore excursions (wait, you asked about sea days, didn't you?!). We only have 1 sea day on the 4 night cruise, but I know DS will be entertained enough by going on deck and walking (sorry, RUNNING) around and wandering around the ship, etc.

PHEW! My little one and I are both very pale anyway so I am sure after a couple of hours in the sun we will be ready for some indoor entertainment. I appreciate the post. I would not think Disney would neglect the little guys. On a good note we recently had some progress in the potty department. But she won't be ready for our trip this weekend :)

Thanks again!!!

No prob! Enjoy your cruise, I'm sure you will! I totally remember thinking how great that the DCL was perfect for families with young kids as well as adults and I can't wait to take our kids on Sunday!

I was not aware of the pool rules until reading this thread and I depart on my 7 day Disney Magic cruise with my 2.4 pull up wearing DD THIS SATURDAY! I figured for cleaniless reasons that non potty trained babies would be secluded to specific pool but they only have one ear?? I am disapointed. I mean it is Disney?!?!? I would think they would have a bigger swim area got the little guys in swim diapers. With this new information can those who have cruised with non potty trained children share with me what other options there are to entertain a 2 year old on the days we are at sea???

There are tons of family activities so check the navigator daily. You can also attend Oceaneer Club activities so long as you stay with your child. Musical shows are offered at a matinee time (usually 2pm) so it's easier on the little ones to attend that show than a 8:30pm showing if you have the early seating.

Our DD loves swimming in pools and so we made it a point to splash around in the ear for about 2 hrs per day. The ear is a decent size, and on any given day we never had more than 4 other kids + 1 adult per kid supervising - we were always very comfortable and didn't feel crowded.

Does anyone have a picture of the area on the Wonder? I'm curious to see it because if we rebook for when she's not potty trained I think we may go that route so she can play in a larger area.

Oops, just saw the other thread asking about it and some people posted their pics. Thanks!!

I don't want this to sound mean because I don't mean it to be in any way, but I don't think I'd want my child in a pool where there are lots of children only in swim diapers. The bacteria count would be astronomical. It would have to be cleaned and sanitized really well several times a day for me to be comfortable with that idea. The Mickey ear is probably small enough to be cleaned frequently. It's really not a matter of discriminating against the little ones, but more of a health issue. I'm sure Disney wouldn't want your little ones becoming ill on board or shortly after getting home because of unsanitary swimming conditions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter