Teen son's ocean baptism

Tiggeroo

Grammar Nazi
My 15yo son has decided to be baptized tomorow. In our church, you choose this whenever you are ready. We are a shore town and the Baptisms are in the ocean. However, he does not want me to make a big deal out of this. He does not want me to tell my parents or brother or sisters. This is bugging me, although I have honored his wishes. Our extended family does not share our religious beliefs, however, they will be hurt that he did not give them a chance to share the moment. They all happen to be in town for a get together, so would be able to attend at a moments notice. I plan to talk to him tonight and give him another chance to invite them. He is shy too, and I think he figures they will do pictures and stuff.

What blessed news!!!! So happy for you and him, too!

I would think like you, too, and try to work out a compromise. Maybe ask them to attend but not take pictures?

Again, I am rejoicing with you!

I am really happy he has decided to do it. I don't really mention it to my kids. But I know they hear about it in youth group and church services. This is completely his own decision. This year he has shown a real spiritual side which is interesting.

How wonderful - please extend my best wishes to your son! I was baptized at age 14 in the pond of one of the congregation member's. Fish swam around my head!

I would talk to your son and ask him to reconsider. Growing up, my Mother's parents were dead (GF died when my Mom was only 6, her step-father died when she was pregnant with me and my GM died when I was 7), and my Dad's parents couldn't give a rip what any of us did.

My parents love everything the children and grandchildren do - the inlaws (only MIL left) DON'T!!:rolleyes: It really adds to the ocassion when you know that you are loved and that your family and friends want to share your joy with you.

And the photos would be a treasure in years to come, although they seem like a pain in the butt at the time!
Pam

I was baptized in a lake at 18......awesome experience!!! How special this will be for your son.:D

When I was baptized at the age of 26, I was dunked, along with 7 others, in the baptismal on the alter of our church during a special Sunday service that was packed. I really wanted a more intimate baptism, one like your son is going to have. Best wishes to your son on this special occasion. :)

If he wants to keep it private I think you should honor his feelings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter