Teacher to Parent Letters

DG-12

Mouseketeer
Since most of you have school age kids let me ask you something-
There's a fabulous book out there for new teachers and one of the suggestions the author makes is to send out "welcome back" letters to all the families, about 2 weeks before school starts... I am "looping" (keeping the same class) with my kids and thought that a letter would be a nice way to start the year! My dh thinks it's kind of silly but as parents would you be happy to get a "welcome" letter from your child's teacher?
Dana

We got one this past year. She did postcards and had her picture on it. We didn't know which teacher Kevin had so it was nice to know. When we went to orintation she had goody bags for all the kids. A pencil,eraser, pencil sharpner and some candy. Kevin just loved it.

That sounds like a great idea. I hate going to school the first day and checking "the list" to see which teacher DS has. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, we've gotten postcards before, too! Usually when it's a new teacher. But, very thoughtful, imo. Gets the kids a little excited to receive the mail, too! ;)

I am a about to start having my own class this year after doing supply work for quite a while. I am sending out little notes to the students that I will have....I was writing them out yesterday :p I am sooooo excited! :bounce:

I would absolutely love that. My DS got one last year from his soon to be kindergarten teacher & he was thrilled. I have a friend who's children get their supply lists ahead of time along with a letter like that which is what I would find helpful. To be able to have all of the shopping done before school actually starts would be great. I buy all the things that I'm sure they'll need in advnce but there is always that one thing I didn't think of.:)

My son just finished the 8th grade. He just recieved a letter from one of his teaches saying she hopes he's enjoying his summer and to make sure to stop in and say hello from time to time thru out the new school year. I thought this was just so nice. She must be an awesome teacher.

this reminds me of something else. I have an older son that already graduated high school....the summer after his graduation...he received an envelop from his past 5th grade teacher full of memories....some papers he had done and stories he had written and pictures from field trips along with a letter wishing him well in his life. This was so beautiful I cried...she did this for all her students. I thought this was outstanding!! :)

We used to get postcards from our childs teacher just before school started. It was always a nice treat for my dd and it helped us know what to expect too. If you have the money to do it..I say its a nice idea.

You suggested teacher to parent letters, I think teacher to child letters would be appreciated more.

I work in a looping classroom and every year the classroom teachers have sent out letters. The kids really love it:)

My kids have gotten them before and they get so excited. Actually my youngest dd is in a special class and has the same teacher every year (k-5) and every summer she gets a postcard from her. I think it's a wonderful idea!

I'm a sub and my classes I sub in get cards from me all the time. Just little notes. Often from Disney when I go on the weekend. They love it. Mail is a big thing to kids

From the parent of a soon to be Kindergartener, I think its a great idea. DS did get to meet his(and the other K)teacher this past June in a "Get Ready" program, but he didnt know which one he would end up having. A little welcome back letter or card would be a nice idea.

My son was going into 1 st grade last year... public school

WE got a home visit from the teacher (very nice!,), explaining first grade to him

But before the visit, he sent postcards from where he was vacationing. He said he was looking forward to meeting them, etc.

We also got goodbye letters mailed to him, the same with Christmas break cards....

My DD just finished 7th grade and one of her teachers had them write a little something about themselves and their lives and hopes, they then addressed these letters to themselves and the teacher promised to mail them out when the kids are graduating. Apparantly she's done this for years.....I think it's a pretty cool idea!

The times that my guys have received the letters they were appreciated. Last years teacher made a project out of it once they got back to school and they had answer her by writing a letter telling about themselves. It was one of the few writing projects my DS enjoyed.

Another cute idea was when a previous teacher had all the kids bring a paper bag in to school that they could decorate with pictures from mags, papers, etc. but the pictures had to mean something to the kids and in the bag were some of the kids fav. things. She brought one in too. It was a get to know you project.

I think that's a great idea!

Our kids receive a postcard in the mail notifying them who their teacher for the new year will be. It always arrives the Friday before school starts and it's just a generic postcard that the school provides. There is nothing unique about it, that's just how they notify students here. The post card has the child's name/address printed on a label on one side. On the other side, the teacher fills in the child's name, room number and her name. Sometimes, the teacher will draw a happy face.

I wish my ds's teachers had done something like this :)

My girls got letters in K and 1st grade, telling them when they could come in, meet the teacher, bring their supplies. After that they are in the same boat with the other kids in school--they post the "list" of who is in what class the Friday before school starts, and that's when you find out who you have!
I remember when DD#1 was in 3rd grade she was helping with an orientation program, and I saw that the new 3rd grade teacher was putting up little apples with the kids names on them--when she left I checked it out and saw that Kelly was NOT one of her students. I was so sly LOL!
I can't send letters out because I get my class rosters on our teacher work day the day before school starts! I sometimes send letters home with the kids, but with HS juniors and seniors who knows what makes it home.
Robin M.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter