Target or Sams Club?

disneyjes

DIS Veteran
Hi there! I've heard from a few people that they either use a Target card to save 5% on Disney gift cards to pay for their trip. I've also heard some buy from Sams Club to get a free gift card - can't remember the amount.

Which do you do or do you do something else? Thanks!

(Our trip balance is about $2,000 if that makes a difference.)

I buy my gift cards from Target using the redcard for the 5% discount. I've never seen a promotion for free gift cards at Sams, but I might have just missed it. :confused3

In my local Sam's, the 3 pack $150 cards runs $142.98, or 4.68%, so while it is really close to the 5% at Target, it doesn't beat it AND I drive by a Target every week, while Sam's is 20 minutes out of my normal route.

I think a few years ago Sam's sold a Disney gift cards that came with a free $10 (?) card that could be used at the Disney store only. I think that's what the OP may be talking about. I haven't seen them in a few years.

Last edited:
I buy my gift cards from Target using the redcard for the 5% discount. I've never seen a promotion for free gift cards at Sams, but I might have just missed it. :confused3

In my local Sam's, the 3 pack $150 cards runs $142.98, or 4.68%, so while it is really close to the 5% at Target, it doesn't beat it AND I drive by a Target every week, while Sam's is 20 minutes out of my normal route.
When you buy Disney tickets do you have to call in to purchase them since you would be using so many gift cards?

I load our gift cards in my Disney Vacation Account. That way it's one account number to pay whatever we need for our trip. It saves a lot of hassle making payments.

Sam's hasn't had the free gift card deal in at least three to four years. If I have cash on hand, I buy from Sam's. If I need it to come out the checking account, I use Target. Faster to go to Sam's since they don't have to scan every card though!

When you buy Disney tickets do you have to call in to purchase them since you would be using so many gift cards?

Actually, when I buy Disney tickets I do so through UnderCover Tourist. I can get a better deal there. But when I have to pay things directly to Disney (Memory Maker, DVC fees, etc.) yes I have to call in or, as someone else mentioned, put them all in the Vacation account and use that to pay it.

Actually, when I buy Disney tickets I do so through UnderCover Tourist. I can get a better deal there. But when I have to pay things directly to Disney (Memory Maker, DVC fees, etc.) yes I have to call in or, as someone else mentioned, put them all in the Vacation account and use that to pay it.

Sometimes you can combine eBates (or another rebate program) with a deal from one of the travel sites (like Expedia or Orbitz). Last year there was a time when that combination was the best going for tickets.

Sometimes you can combine eBates (or another rebate program) with a deal from one of the travel sites (like Expedia or Orbitz). Last year there was a time when that combination was the best going for tickets.
Exactly! I have bought from UCT in the past, but I no longer find that they offer the best deals for me. Ebates/Orbitz is cheaper for the tickets I need.

Exactly! I have bought from UCT in the past, but I no longer find that they offer the best deals for me. Ebates/Orbitz is cheaper for the tickets I need.

Thanks for the information about better deals, but for the point of the reply it still wouldn't change the information. Buying lots of Disney Gift Cards to pay for the tickets won't do any good if you are buying your tickets from an authorized third party vendor. But if you have multiple cards to use to pay Disney, you have to call in to do so.

Thanks for the information about better deals, but for the point of the reply it still wouldn't change the information. Buying lots of Disney Gift Cards to pay for the tickets won't do any good if you are buying your tickets from an authorized third party vendor. But if you have multiple cards to use to pay Disney, you have to call in to do so.

The point of the response is that there are better deals than the gift cards from time to time. If you've already bought the gift cards, then you would need to use them - or use them for something else. But the OP doesn't seem to have bought the gift cards yet.

Hi there! I've heard from a few people that they either use a Target card to save 5% on Disney gift cards to pay for their trip. I've also heard some buy from Sams Club to get a free gift card - can't remember the amount.

Which do you do or do you do something else? Thanks!

(Our trip balance is about $2,000 if that makes a difference.)

Does any credit card pay under 1% rewards? If you take the Sams discount of 4.68% and combine it with a 2% cash back or rewards of many cards you are at 6.68%. Even if you only get 1% at sams its still 5.68% which is better than target

The point of the response is that there are better deals than the gift cards from time to time. If you've already bought the gift cards, then you would need to use them - or use them for something else. But the OP doesn't seem to have bought the gift cards yet.

Exactly. The OP doesn't seem to have bought the GC yet. So it really depends on what the OP needs to buy or pay for. There are better deals on tickets than through Disney, but if adding Memory Maker, or paying Disney directly for rooms or DDP, then multiple cards have to be called in, unless they are first loaded into the DVA.

I think we are in agreement, just focused on different parts of the question. I was trying to address the need of how to use multiple gift cards for the purchase directly from Disney, less than when or where the best deal may be found.

Does any credit card pay under 1% rewards? If you take the Sams discount of 4.68% and combine it with a 2% cash back or rewards of many cards you are at 6.68%. Even if you only get 1% at sams its still 5.68% which is better than target

I know it's a long thread but the Disney Gift Card Deals thread has a lot of great information regarding Disney gift cards. Currently through gift card resale sites, Target gift cards are up to 8% off. When you purchase Disney gift cards online and use yor Red Card as your primary form of payment you will still get 5% off AND be able to use your discounted Target gift card. So 1% back for buying the orignal Target gift card, up to 8% off the Target gift card AND an additional 5% off the Disney gift card. It ends up being A LOT more than 5.68%.

Also remember to keep the gift cards, because if you should need to cancel your trip the credit needs to go back to the gift cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter