Tangaroa Terrace same as Trader Sam's?

disneyerin

DIS Veteran
If we went to Tangaroa Terrace and asked to sit outdoors, would we also be sitting in the outdoor seating for Trader Sam's?

If we went to Tangaroa Terrace and asked to sit outdoors, would we also be sitting in the outdoor seating for Trader Sam's?

Tangaroa Terrace is a quick service location. You don't ask to sit anywhere. You sit at any open table. There is both indoor and outdoor seating. The outdoor seating area is NOT the same as the outdoor patio of Trader Sam's. They are divided by the outdoor bar.

The food menus at the 2 places are identical. You only go to Trader Sam's if you want cocktails. (Although most cocktails are available at the outdoor bar too).

They reserve the Trader Sam's outdoor seating for Trader Sam's guests. Those tables, if empty, have a reserved sign on them. The Tangaroa Terrace ones are open seating. You can get the same drinks at Trader Sam's at the Tangaroa Terrace outdoor bar, just no show. There is also no show at the Trader Sam's outdoor seating.

They reserve the Trader Sam's outdoor seating for Trader Sam's guests. Those tables, if empty, have a reserved sign on them. The Tangaroa Terrace ones are open seating. You can get the same drinks at Trader Sam's at the Tangaroa Terrace outdoor bar, just no show. There is also no show at the Trader Sam's outdoor seating.
I'm not exactly sure I'm reading this the right way, so forgive me if I misinterpreted, but there is often a very nice "show" on Trader Sam's terrace. It's a band that plays island music and it's wonderful to listen to the band/singer while you're there. But you're right that they don't do any of the showy stuff when you order the specialized drinks like they do inside TS's.

Edited to say: actually, when I was there last month they did light the Uh Oa on fire and do some chanting, but no special effects :)

Trader Sam's does offer food, the food comes from Tangaroa's Kitchen. The fried long beans are very good and I hate beans.

Outside there usually is a singer at night, it is lovely to listen to.

So if we want to go to Trader Sam's just for a cocktail, do we still need to make a reservation?

So if we want to go to Trader Sam's just for a cocktail, do we still need to make a reservation?
1,000 times yes yes. If you do not make a reservation it can take anywhere from 10 mins (rare) to 3 to 4 hrs (most common) to get called for a walk up. And if you are not there within 10 mins they give it away (so you cannot leave). Trader Sam's is a really fun time inside. Same exact menu as Tangaroa Terrace for food.

If you do not need to see the "show"/decor inside the bar, you can get the same cocktails at the outside bar at Tangaroa Terrace. Trader Sam's did seem to be seating people outside for walk-ups in their outdoor section. The only way to guarantee inside is a reservation.

If you do not need to see the "show"/decor inside the bar, you can get the same cocktails at the outside bar at Tangaroa Terrace. Trader Sam's did seem to be seating people outside for walk-ups in their outdoor section. The only way to guarantee inside is a reservation.
This is so much faster and easier! Walk up is for outside only last time we were there anyway and we waited an hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter