Talk to me a bit about check-in and check out processes, please?

PacingOamy

Earning My Ears
Kids have a bucket list item to go on a cruise. When a last minute opportunity to jump on the Majesty of the Seas next month (yes, old ship. yes, inside cabin...but it's all about an adventure for us since I usually plans trips a year out) with just me and my two boys (blended family), I leapt! We will be driving down the day prior and staying at the Best Western Cocoa Beach before catching a shuttle to Port Canaveral for a 4 night cruise. I have only cruised once before and so while I am a A&C member, I am in the lowest area. Can you help me fill in some blanks? I'm the type of personality that can be much calmer when I know the expectation (so thank you!!)

Because I am traveling alone with two kids (12 and 14 year old boys), can you help me visualize a bit what the check in process may look like? A shuttle will drop us off (how do we know which terminal?) and then we go in to a big building for check in? It sounds like there a lot of check-in options based on your cruise experience and booking .... is it a long process? Anything I need to know other than keep important documents with me?

Once you board, your room is not prepared...so is the ship pretty open or are you corralled into certain areas? I want my boys to check out the teen area...anything else you recommend when boarding? Is there an announcement when your room is ready?

I'm excited that this vacation will allow my boys a bit of 'freedom' to try. I will make them stick together and they will have spending limits on the SeaPass. Anything else tried and true you would recommend?

Finally, does disembarking happen in reverse order of check in? Or do we just drag our suitcases off the ship, declare and catch the shuttle back to our hotel? Are we given specific times to disembark?

Obviously, I am quite the newbie! But, this was an impetuous and 'totally not like me' decision so now I feel that I am fact gathering with 'no' time to spare (we actually leave in about 4 weeks lol)

I can help a little bit. I have only done one RCCL out of Tampa , older ship too but it was awesome.

I found out the terminal from someone on cruise critic message board. I don't know where else it was but it was printed somewhere - maybe it was the cruise documents after you can do online checkin had it on the directions to get to the port. Check there for it. And do the online checkin on RCCL website too in case you didn't know that. The shuttle should drop you off, and I would personally get there about 10:30 because the line gets long around 11 am. But we went dropped our bags off with porter outside (must do this unless it can fit through airport size scanner). Then go through security. Then go get in another line to check in and fill out medical form. Again, this was in Tampa. It took us about an hour getting there at 11 am.

the ship is very open, you are not corralled - you just have to carry your carry on bags with you - feel free to use pools, check out all the areas, eat! I THINK there was an announcment but it was around 1:30 I believe.

Disembark you can carry your own bags off and get off whenever you want after it clears customs - this is what I do. or you put your bags out the night before and have an assigned time to leave

Hi @PacingOamy! This is exciting; you're going to have great fun! Start by doing your on-line check-in on the RCCL website and make sure you print your boarding passes (called Set Sail passes) and have them ready to present at the terminal. Some terminals require you to show them to security before you can even enter the pier area.

As for your transport - any professional driver from the area will know which pier to deliver you to; you will just need to tell him the cruiseline and ship name. Upon arrival you will get out of the vehicle and immediately be approached by the Porters to take your baggage (make sure you have printed and attached your luggage tags to each piece). Your luggage will then be delivered straight to your cabin but keep a small carry-on with you for necessities and maybe swim suits as it will take several hours to receive your bags. (Don't forget to tip the Porter a few bucks.)

Once in the terminal you will be directed to the general boarding line and you will need to present your boarding passes, your identification and either a credit card or cash to deposit into your spending account. You will also need to answer a short health questionnaire. You will be given your Ship Card (a plastic, credit card type thing) that is VITAL to keep track of - it's used for opening your cabin door, purchasing on board and getting on and off the ship. Depending on the time you will either board immediately or be sent to wait. Personally, we prefer to board in early afternoon - crowds are a lighter and the cabins are accessible immediately (others disagree with me on this though). The Adventure Ocean program will have representatives right where you board and will be looking out for youngsters to welcome them; they'll give your boys the low-down immediately! Your cruise begins when you cross the threshold and you'll be informed of all the dining and entertainment options you can enjoy right away.

FFWD 4 days and unfortunately it will be time for you to disembark. :( The night before you will have written instructions delivered to your cabin. There will also be a thurough explanation on the ship's tv system and a live presentation in the theatre to give you all the details you need. You will receive your final statement account to your room the night before as well as luggage tags. I DO NOT recommend hauling your own luggage off as it is a crowded gong show of grumpy people all trying to rush off at once. Much more civilized to have your luggage removed for you and to disembark at a pre-scheduled time with a smaller group. You will have had your bags collected the night before - be sure to leave yourself something to sleep in and something to wear the next day! You will need to vacate your cabin by 8:00 am and will have breakfast and wait for your scheduled departure time in one of the common areas.

You will exit into the terminal and have to collect your bags and go through US customs (save receipts for any purchases just to be on the safe side). Once through you will proceed outside to your ride - either pre-arranged or easy to catch a cab from there. :wave2:

We actually had really good luck disembarking ourselves at Port Canaveral. We got in line about 6:15 (this was on the Oasis) and were off the ship by 7. Customs was easy-peasy. We were at WDW inside the Animal Kingdom by 8:35 that morning. It was not at all unpleasant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter