Talk me into/out of buying RIV direct...

No. The ground lease for OKW was extended to 2057, which means all contracts were extended.

The other 2042 resorts have not had that happen…and I don’t think it will…so DVD can’t sell anything at those places without legally changing the ground lease for those resorts.
That's what I figured, otherwise they probably would have started already lol

We used to get a discount on the Platinum pass. At one point, we got a 25% discount on the Platinum Plus pass too and we could purchase a 7 day park hopper for the price of a 5 day park hopper.
I don't even know if this applied to DVC or it was just a special, but there was one year where it was essentially a BOGO (free) on Platinum passes. Come to think of it, that was what led us into this spiral of APs + DVC ...

Bumping this back up with a related question for RIV owners.

Am I asking for trouble buying RIV with the intention of staying in August? The daily torrential downpours never really bothered me much when staying at other CL resorts but I could see myself getting annoyed if the skyliner is down on a daily basis. Is it inevitable? For those who deal with this, do you just time your park visits to work around afternoon showers?

Bumping this back up with a related question for RIV owners.

Am I asking for trouble buying RIV with the intention of staying in August? The daily torrential downpours never really bothered me much when staying at other CL resorts but I could see myself getting annoyed if the skyliner is down on a daily basis. Is it inevitable? For those who deal with this, do you just time your park visits to work around afternoon showers?

I stay at RIV a lot and have in the summer months and TBH, have not had but two situations where the Skyliner was down when it mattered…most trips, it was not down at all.

But, we also always go back to the resort in the afternoons for pool time because of the heat, so that has helped.

I honestly dont Worry about it.

I stay at RIV a lot and have in the summer months and TBH, have not had but two situations where the Skyliner was down when it mattered…most trips, it was not down at all.

But, we also always go back to the resort in the afternoons for pool time because of the heat, so that has helped.

Thank you - we usually do the same (re: resort/pool time in the afternoon) so that's good to know!

We have had a similar experience. We have visited several times in July and had one experience it was down. We took the bus then but would have been fine getting an Uber/Lyft also. We just plan each trip on needing a few ride app transports, and for the tiny fraction of the vacation cost, it sure cuts stress way down!

Last edited:

Coming to the experts for some much needed advice - thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Background: my family and I have vacationed on property at WDW regularly my entire life (now in my 40s) and the past several years we've gone multiple times a year. I'm also a huge planner...so on paper I am the target demographic for DVC :)

For the past 15 years, we've stayed exclusively at the Swan or Dolphin - absolutely love the location, and we've been blessed to benefit from substantial discounts. Had explored DVC off and on but it never made sense until our most recent Christmas/NYE trip when Swan and Dolphin prices skyrocketed. Even during the off seasons, the prices are not what they once were.

Started looking into DVC seriously and stumbled into a resale CCV Guaranteed week 52...addonitis soon followed w/ a resale GFV contract.

My dilemma: I am in the market for my *final* 150-200 points and want those points to be at a home resort near EPCOT, as it's our absolute favorite park. The Swan/Dolphin have spoiled me - being able to walk to EPCOT and HS is a gamechanger for my family - but can't rationalize resale BWV and BCV. The next closest option would be RIV.

I've looked into direct and while I'm not bothered by RIV resale restrictions I'm struggling with what direct is really getting me:

1) Annual Passes: We always travel the week between Christmas - NYE, so I need the Incredipass...so no benefit there.
2) Staying at other resorts: I'm really buying these points to be close to EPCOT/HS - and unless I wait for 2042 - I don't envision any new construction getting us any closer than RIV. So if I use these points exclusively at RIV, I'm basically treating them like restricted points.
3) Combining with other contracts: Since I plan to use the FW at CCV, and my GVF points at GVF or another monorail resort, I don't expect us to need to combine...

The only upside to buying direct that I can see would be securing a Guaranteed Week, which I do think will come in handy down the road when there are many RIV resale owners only able to book there...but is that premium worth 15k?

What am I missing?

There's also part of me that says stick with Swan/Dolphin for our non-Dec trips and just wait and see what Disney has up their sleeve...

Decisions, decisions...!!
If you're only planning to use a Riv contract at Riv regardless of it being direct or resale, then ABSOLUTELY buy resale. Don't waste that extra money just to buy direct. You'll have absolutely no issue booking 11 months out even with a resale Riv contract.

With that being said, it seems that Boardwalk and Beach Club contracts can be had on the cheap right now. Prices are definitely dropping at both with the 2042 end date being on people's minds. Not sure how old you are or if you plan on passing the contracts along to family years down the road, but that's still 18 years of use at an Epcot/HS DVC property. Good price and can walk to 2 resorts for 18 years is pretty nice, so definitely something to consider! I know both of these aren't as beautiful as Riv, but they're walking distance vs a skyliner or bus ride in bad weather.

After some loooong consideration about 150-200 OKW for direct SAP (I still think it’s a great deal and might kick myself later for not jumping on it), I think we’re back at purchasing more RIV, probably only 100pts to leave room for Poly if we feel we need to buy more points there, though realistically we’ll just get more Poly resale later on if it does end up being the same association.

This next purchase we really want to buy direct for the ease of it all, as well as, wanting more direct points in our portfolio for future resorts. My thought process is if we think DVC direct is expensive now, I don’t even want to know what it will look like in 2-3 years when the next new resort goes on sale. At least I’ll have plenty of “cheaper” (lol) direct points to use there as SAP. What’s that old adage about buying DVC? I wish I bought more, sooner? Well, we were too poor/uneducated/young to buy years ago but hopefully, future us will feel like we took advantage of it properly now 😅 Think we’ll probably wait until the end of this incentive period so we have the grace period to change things if summer incentives are any better. Sad we’re not getting more points right away lol but excited to have more points at Riviera soon!

If my little monologue is tickling something in your FOMO brain, you are correct I am 💯 enabling you. Go on, free your yourself, buy a little direct contract, what’s 20 grand amongst friends?
:dancer:

If my little monologue is tickling something in your FOMO brain, you are correct I am 💯 enabling you. Go on, free your yourself, buy a little direct contract, what’s 20 grand amongst friends?
I feel like I have it all figured out, what I want & what I'm looking for, but the not finding or buying... Is killing me!!

So glad I can't afford 500 OKW points. lol

I feel like I have it all figured out, what I want & what I'm looking for, but the not finding or buying... Is killing me!!

So glad I can't afford 500 OKW points. lol
Hah I completely understand. We know we’re buying direct soonish so I definitely shouldn’t be looking at anymore resale and yet here I am, checking the aggregator sites on the daily. I might be unwell.

Hah I completely understand. We know we’re buying direct soonish so I definitely shouldn’t be looking at anymore resale and yet here I am, checking the aggregator sites on the daily. I might be unwell.
I am on them daily as well... I have even contemplated adding on BWV 25pts direct. lol (i mean what's the big deal, just a couple buck's one time. ;) )

I am on them daily as well... I have even contemplated adding on BWV 25pts direct. lol (i mean what's the big deal, just a couple buck's one time. ;)
At $240/pt?? Whew that’s a lot. I feel like there’s a few 25pointers available resale right now that looked pretty good! Saw one in an Oct UY just now in fact! I'd ask you to consider just going for 50 direct RIV before getting 25 direct BWV and keeping those 50 for life lol

Yes the Oct 25 has been tempting over the last couple days, but I’m holding out for Sept as my new WDW UY. (keeping June for anything in CA or Hawaii)

Not really, but who can predict how extreme the weather will get? While that does concern me, it is not likely to be an issue in the next few years, I believe. We also stay in August a lot and when we use SAP to stay at BCV and BWV then we don't also stay at RIV. When we have stayed in the summers at RIV (usually August), we've maybe seen the skyliner down 1-2x ever (owned since 2019). I'm more apt to notice weather closures when we booked BCV in summer to go to SAB for our midday break and it's closed .... !

When staying at Riviera, if there's a day when it's almost sure to be big thunderstorms, we'll go to Animal Kingdom or MK instead. Bus transportation always runs, AK get super deserted when it's raining, and MK has lost of indoor things to do that don't close down because of weather. Last summer we were at BWV when the hurricane came in, and we saved ourselves the walk to EP by going to AK and riding FOP and Navi River as walk ons!

After some loooong consideration about 150-200 OKW for direct SAP (I still think it’s a great deal and might kick myself later for not jumping on it), I think we’re back at purchasing more RIV, probably only 100pts to leave room for Poly if we feel we need to buy more points there, though realistically we’ll just get more Poly resale later on if it does end up being the same association.

This next purchase we really want to buy direct for the ease of it all, as well as, wanting more direct points in our portfolio for future resorts. My thought process is if we think DVC direct is expensive now, I don’t even want to know what it will look like in 2-3 years when the next new resort goes on sale. At least I’ll have plenty of “cheaper” (lol) direct points to use there as SAP. What’s that old adage about buying DVC? I wish I bought more, sooner? Well, we were too poor/uneducated/young to buy years ago but hopefully, future us will feel like we took advantage of it properly now 😅 Think we’ll probably wait until the end of this incentive period so we have the grace period to change things if summer incentives are any better. Sad we’re not getting more points right away lol but excited to have more points at Riviera soon!

:dancer:
Haha, this is so great.

I bid on a few BWV contracts but my low-ish offers were rejected - can't rationalize paying more given Swan/Dolphin rates when we travel.

And also, like you, I want this next (final??) purchase to be direct. Once I go down the RIV path, suddenly two contracts totaling 250 seems to be the sweet spot...which my wallet will absolutely not appreciate but the future me most certainly will!!!

Last edited:
Haha, this is so great.

I bid on a few BWV contracts but my low-ish offers were rejected - can't rationalize paying more given Swan/Dolphin rates when we travel.

And also, like you, I want this next (final??) purchase to be direct. Once I go down the RIV path, suddenly two contracts totally 250 seems to be the sweet spot...which my wallet will absolutely not appreciate but the future me most certainly will!!!
if you’re insistent on having Riv because you want an Epcot area resort, would you be willing to part with your VGF resale contract? Just wondering if it financially makes the most sense to sell your VGF resale contract, buy Riv resale on the cheap, and then buy direct at Poly when it goes on sale in a few months.

In theory, this gives you everything you’re looking for while best protecting your financial investment at Riv. If you buy direct riv and ever have to sell it, then you’ll take the biggest financial hit there. By going the resale route, your purchase price is more well protected. Adding Poly direct also benefits you long term because it doesn’t appear it will carry the same resale restrictions Riv has. Just a thought to consider.

Haha, this is so great.

And also, like you, I want this next (final??) purchase to be direct. Once I go down the RIV path, suddenly two contracts totally 250 seems to be the sweet spot...which my wallet will absolutely not appreciate but the future me most certainly will!!!
People are really stubborn with their BCV/BWV contracts. We got our BC at $135 which I’m happy with because I know we really wanted to be there but it still pained me a bit at how much it cost lol

We really want more poly points as the collective family favorite is the Polynesian and we know we’ll do one larger family trip a year there too, but I’d want direct to be around $180 for 150 pts and I’m not sure that’ll happen so we just think it makes the most sense to get our direct points at RIV and wait for resale prices to come down a bit once it’s back in active sales.

Are you still thinking about doing favorite weeks?

People are really stubborn with their BCV/BWV contracts. We got our BC at $135 which I’m happy with because I know we really wanted to be there but it still pained me a bit at how much it cost lol

We really want more poly points as the collective family favorite is the Polynesian and we know we’ll do one larger family trip a year there too, but I’d want direct to be around $180 for 150 pts and I’m not sure that’ll happen so we just think it makes the most sense to get our direct points at RIV and wait for resale prices to come down a bit once it’s back in active sales.

Are you still thinking about doing favorite weeks?
We need to start taking bets on when BC will average under 100 dollars per point. 2041? 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter