Tale of the Lion King is a MUST SEE!

DLgal

DIS Veteran
Wow! What an amazing show! We finally caught it today. The cast is SO talented! This is the best show I've seen in a Disney park, ever. Puts Frozen and Aladdin to shame, to be honest. I can't believe this show isn't getting more hype. It's an absolute knockout and exactly what Disneyland needed.

Do NOT miss this if it's playing during your visit.

I’m sad it’s dark mid week. Was there with friends from out of town yesterday who would have loved to see it (one of them will major in theater when she goes to collage next year). Can’t wait to catch it at some point!

This review surprises me unless we really are looking for different things in a show. When I saw Tale of the Lion King in DCA, I'd consider it completely skippable for someone who didn't have an annual pass. Definitely very cheap looking compared to Festival of the Lion King in Hong Kong and WDW. I was a bit neutral on Frozen but liked Aladdin.

It was unfortunately closed the last time I was in the parks so I haven't had the chance to see the Disneyland version of the show. I was mostly expecting it to be cost cutting replacement of Magical Map which was a good show.

This review surprises me unless we really are looking for different things in a show. When I saw Tale of the Lion King in DCA, I'd consider it completely skippable for someone who didn't have an annual pass. Definitely very cheap looking compared to Festival of the Lion King in Hong Kong and WDW. I was a bit neutral on Frozen but liked Aladdin.

It was unfortunately closed the last time I was in the parks so I haven't had the chance to see the Disneyland version of the show. I was mostly expecting it to be cost cutting replacement of Magical Map which was a good show.
It is NOTHING like that show they had in DCA. Not even close. It is more similar to the Lion King Broadway show.

In terms of costumes, it's not elaborate. It's basically a 25 minute version of the story, with the song highlights. The set is pretty impressive as well. There is some light puppetry.

I didn't love Mickey and the Magical Map, though, to be fair. I found it "okay." I liked this show much more than that one.

It is NOTHING like that show they had in DCA. Not even close. It is more similar to the Lion King Broadway show.

In terms of costumes, it's not elaborate. It's basically a 25 minute version of the story, with the song highlights. The set is pretty impressive as well. There is some light puppetry.

I didn't love Mickey and the Magical Map, though, to be fair. I found it "okay." I liked this show much more than that one.

Good to hear that it's much better than the DCA version.

I didn't love Mickey and the Magical Map either. Mickey and the Wondrous Book in Hong Kong is better even with their awkward language switching dialogue. I'm also one of the weird people who actually preferred Mickey and the Magical Map before Stitch was added to the show because that part of the show was a bit more acrobatic.

Good to hear that it's much better than the DCA version.

I didn't love Mickey and the Magical Map either. Mickey and the Wondrous Book in Hong Kong is better even with their awkward language switching dialogue. I'm also one of the weird people who actually preferred Mickey and the Magical Map before Stitch was added to the show because that part of the show was a bit more acrobatic.
This show is mostly about the singing and narration and the singing is VERY good.

Have you seen Beauty and the Beast at WDW/HS? Based on your description (25 minutes, costumes & set, focus on narration and songs) it sounds similar to that, which we enjoyed.

Saw this show yesterday and absolutely loved it! The singing was fantastic but I was really blown away by the dancing. So much energy! Everything was very well done, highly recommended!

Have you seen Beauty and the Beast at WDW/HS? Based on your description (25 minutes, costumes & set, focus on narration and songs) it sounds similar to that, which we enjoyed.
I have. This show is less "theatrical" than that one, but also just a lot more fun. I was practically seat dancing. As mentioned above, it's a high energy show with just loads of talent (singing and choreography).

Wow! What an amazing show! We finally caught it today. The cast is SO talented! This is the best show I've seen in a Disney park, ever. Puts Frozen and Aladdin to shame, to be honest. I can't believe this show isn't getting more hype. It's an absolute knockout and exactly what Disneyland needed.

I was lucky enough to catch the first showing on Thursday at 12:30pm and I was crying start to finish. I made some friends waiting for the show and was one of the first standby to get a seat. There was honestly not even that big of a crowd , nothing like how Mickey and Magical Map was though there's not a bad seat in the house. I was second row back and if not for my first time I will probably go a little further back next time.

The energy was PHENOMENAL. I loved this telling as I feel it hits the key points but also a lot of emotional moments too that have become iconic.
I think every one of the performers brings something really special to the stage and telling of the story.
Definitely a must see for me whenever I can.

Where is this showing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter