Taking your kids-why you love it!

smilie

I've been unwonked!
Recently I've been talking to people I know about planning our cruise for this year. Dd's first cruise was last May when she was 6 months old. I get a lot of comments about why they wouldn't take their kids, how she'll never remember it so why spend the money... so on and so on.

So I thought I would start a thread on why you take your kids with you on vacation?

I personally love the experience with my child. I know she's young and won't remember this, but I will. I am in no way harming my child, she has a great time in fact. The pictures and memories I have will be with me forever.

Adorable kid! :) Can I guess that that picture was *NOT* taken on your cruise? ;)

Sayhello

Well, we always took our kids out of school (until they got into college anyway), our school system had no issue and they were able to maintain their grades so away we went. I have memories of WDW of our fall and early winter trips when the crowds and temps were tolerable that no one will ever be able to take from me. Now they are all grown and are on their own so DH and I go alone :love: and that is a good thing as well.

I take my children on vacation so that I have uninterrupted time with them. I enjoy my children and don't want to look back and wonder what it would have been like to have them with me.

That said, we do take short (1 or 2 days at the most) breaks to be grown ups just to renew our relationship. I truly believe that it makes us better parents and the children get a break from us as well. :)

DS's first trip to WDW was when he was 2.5 years old. He doesn't remember much of it, but we do and that's all that matters. I remember, and will never forget, his face the first time he saw Mickey Mouse! Or how he played his Mickey Mouse guitar while waiting for the bus at WL. Or how we had to look at the fountain in the WL lobby every morning before we left and every evening before we went to our room. Or how he wanted to ride the Carousel as his first ride at WDW but I talked him into Dumbo instead. I think I have more memories of that first trip than his second a year later. And I have a TON of pictures and some video, too. :)

We're doing our first cruise this year and can't wait!!

Everyone says I am nuts but I am taking my 2 kids 9 and 3 on a 7 day cruise just me. I also enjoy the time with my kids and think altho my son may not remember any of it that is what pictures are for ;-)

We have never taken out sons on a cruise but are looking at doing a cruise and then a week at the WDW next Christmas. However we have always taken out kids on trips with us. I love the one on one time with them. some of the best memories I have are of us on vacation together. You get to see them in a different setting and they are relaxed and don't have the pressure of school or friends. Our son is home from college right now and we leave in 5 hours to head to Disneyland for 5 days.

On another note about taking little ones on trips - it teaches them how to travel. I have friends who's kids have frequent flier numbers of their own - they are 3 and have racked up tickets of their own. They are better than some adult travelers and now how to get thru security with the best adult travelers. I hate traveling with people/families who have no clue what to do in an airport.

I used to work for the airlines so I took advantage of my passes. My two elder sons went to Italy when they were just under two and 4. I took them by myself and we toured all over venice and Rome. Also took them to England. It teaches them so much and most of all socializes them! I can take my sons anywhere and they'll always know to behave themselves.
Im taking my three younger sons on the 10 night Med cruise on my own. I have no doubt we'll all have the time of our lives and they'll even learn a thing or two!

I take my kids on vacation with us (12 and 5) because with our jobs, that is the time that I can put the BB away and really enjoy them. There is no homework, no pager, no customer barking at me... That is worth every dollar I spend, and then some. We don't always get along for the entire time, but that is life. What we do get are memories that we laugh and smile about for years!

I'd miss him and worry about him if we didn't take him! Hard to enjoy a vacation if you're worried about your child being miserable at home.

We feel our daughter is too young to leave behind (2 y.o) while we go on vacation. Maybe when she is a bot older. Also, ditto to what Tiffany said! ;)

We took our 2 girls on their first cruise in 2007 when my youngest was 6 months old and my oldest was 5 1/2 years old. I heard the same thing...why would you spend the money??? They'll never remember??? You're crazy!! You know how I feel about that...well maybe they won't remember the cruise itself (which by the way is completely not true with my oldest) but I will!! We went with my parents and my sister who live very far away from us and the memories we made with them are absolutely priceless!! I have lots of pictures of my 2 little princesses dressed up on the cruise and I proudly display them all over my house...my youngest, who is now 3 1/2, will tell you all about the cruise. She "remembers" what we tell her about the trip. I would do it over again a million times over...in fact we went on our second cruise last year and are planning to bring home the Magic in Sept. of this year!!

We took our 2 girls on their first cruise in 2007 when my youngest was 6 months old and my oldest was 5 1/2 years old. I heard the same thing...why would you spend the money??? They'll never remember??? You're crazy!! You know how I feel about that...well maybe they won't remember the cruise itself (which by the way is completely not true with my oldest) but I will!! We went with my parents and my sister who live very far away from us and the memories we made with them are absolutely priceless!! I have lots of pictures of my 2 little princesses dressed up on the cruise and I proudly display them all over my house...my youngest, who is now 3 1/2, will tell you all about the cruise. She "remembers" what we tell her about the trip. I would do it over again a million times over...in fact we went on our second cruise last year and are planning to bring home the Magic in Sept. of this year!!

You are my kind of family! :thumbsup2

My DD(6) has traveled with us all over the place. People always say that she won't remember, but I'll remember when she saw Cinderella and believed with all of her heart that it was the one and only true Cinderella!

I also believe that every family is different, and you have to do what works with your financial situation, work situation, and your individual kids. People may tell you what they wouldn't do, but you may not do things with your kids that other families may enjoy. To each his/her own!
:hippie:

I hear the same thing all of the time, I took my sons to WDW knowing they would not remember but I knew I would. My son was born with a heart problem and knew he was going to have open heart surgery the next year and I wanted those memories of us three at the happiest place on earth because you just never know what the man upstairs has planned for us all. Thankfully everything turned out great and he is now a healthy little boy.

Kudos to all of you with little ones who can and do take them on vacation. Yes, it's a lot of work and sometimes a lot of money. But the memories and fun are something you will always have. We could not afford to take any vacations (other than our week at the Jersey shore) until our kids were 10 and 14, and the first place we took them was Disney World. Our "kids" are now 23 and almost 19, and we're taking them on our 2nd DCL cruise this Saturday. They were the ones who asked if we could do the cruise. They're getting older now, and I'm not sure how long they will want to come with their parents on vacation, so I cherish any and all time I can spend with them. Believe me, they grow up so fast, every moment you can spend with them is precious. :grouphug:
Now, having said all that, by the end of the week, with four adults in one cabin, we'll probably not be speaking to one another, but we'll get over it and love each other again once we get home:laughing:.
Sheri

Everyone says I am nuts but I am taking my 2 kids 9 and 3 on a 7 day cruise just me. I also enjoy the time with my kids and think altho my son may not remember any of it that is what pictures are for ;-)

Raven, You might be surprised by how much your 3 yr old remembers. The year my dd was 3 we did two 7 nt Disney cruises. She still remembers and talks about them. Taking lots of pictures will help.

I take my kids on vacation because many of my happiest childhood memories are those from family vacations. We haven't had the $$ to do Disney each year but have had many fun vacations at the beach or mountains. Just spent two weeks last summer on a whilrwind driving tour from ATL to the SouthWest U.S. - 6 of us crammed in a minivan driving many hours a day just so we could see places like New Orleans, San Antonio, Carlsbad Caverns, Anasazi cliff dwellings and the Grand Canyon - crazy yes! - but my kids will remember that trip for the rest of their lives.

It's all about investing time and money in creating "forever memories" for both you and them.

You are correct in assuming that your daughter will not remember your family vacations from when she was a toddler/ young child.... I know I dont remember the ones my family took when I was that young! However, I really do believe that taking fun trips together, like a Disney Cruise, or a trip to WDW, allow you to bond with your kids in ways you wouldnt at home! At home, there is everyday life to deal with. Work, school, housework, stress..... on a vacation, its all about you and your family! I always enjoyed, and still do, looking through photo albums of trips we took as a family when I was a child. I even show them to MY son NOW! He LOVES seeing pics of me at WDW when I was his age, then looking at pictures from our own trips, with him posing with the same characters, standing in front of the same attractions, etc. My best advice to you is take lots of pictures! Your daughter will love to look at them for years and years to come!

we take both our kids on all our vacations and started when our firstborn was 1, they are now 16 and 13 and our 16 year old still loves to go with us. Many of our friends vacation without their kids and I don't get it, my husband and I will have lots of years to vacation alone, time with the kids goes so fast as it is, I couldn't imagine leaving them behind no matter what age they are. Who cares if they don't remember, you will.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter