Taking the Plunge (going back to school) this summer... need advice

moopdog

Dreaming of Disney....
I'm finally doing it! I'm turning 31 this summer and have finally decided to transfer my measley 28 Penn State credits and go back to college! I am just going to go to a 2-year school at this point and will go to our local "used to be junior" college (Lackawanna College in case anyone's ever heard of it - doubt it!). Anyway...

I am torn between 3 vastly different degree programs: biotechnology, environmental science (sciene emphasis, not policy), and paralegal.

I don't want to answer phones for a living (been there/done that) and I want an actual career doing something FUN, so... does anyone have any insight on any of the above?

Also, a couple of the courses I took in *gulp* 92 and 93 will transfer, but I think it might be smart to retake them anyway. For example, the intro to chemistry and intro to college writing. I'm thinking it was over 10 years ago and will remember NONE of it, plus I'm sure that things have changed for the writing of papers these days, right? Should I pay to take the same class again or take a chance and just take the next class along the sequence?

Thanks so much if anyone can help a nervous returning student....

~Danielle :teeth:

Well, I took the 'plunge' at the ripe ol' age of 34, and let me tell you i was really nervous. i am currently going for my BA in zoology. I am hoping beyond all hope too take it to Disney and get into their animal behavioral aera at AK.

Now for your dilema, it really depends on what you want to do once you graduate. paralegal, can't say that i would want to work in an office. bio tech sounds more fun, possible research potential there and environmental sci, :scratchin don't know what to say about that.

definately agree about taking intro chem though, i struggled with all my chem (1yr of basic chem, 1 semester organic 1semester bio chem).

sorry for all the typing mistakes DS (6 months) is on my lap while i am typing, difficult to keep him from the keyboard.

I had 30 credits from when I was 17/18 back in 1988/1989.

I went back at 32 ish and finished up with an Associates this year in Elementary/Secondary Education.

Don't worry about the courses. If you receive credit for them, don't stress over it. You will never need to recite any courses for a job interview. (at least in my case, no one has asked me what my US History II grade was)

In fact, I can't really remember some course from last year. I usually take 6 week online courses back to back and they all run together after awhile. I pay close attention to the education classes though! I agree with chem intro as well. I took that, with a poor science skills, and got an A in the course. I worked very very hard but an A in chemistry feels good!

I had 30 credits from when I was 17/18 back in 1988/1989.

I went back at 32 ish and finished up with an Associates this year in Elementary/Secondary Education.

Don't worry about the courses. If you receive credit for them, don't stress over it. You will never need to recite any courses for a job interview. (at least in my case, no one has asked me what my US History II grade was)

In fact, I can't really remember some courses from last year. I usually take 6 week online courses back to back and they all run together after awhile. I pay close attention to the education classes though! I agree with chem intro as well. I took that, with a poor science skills, and got an A in the course. I worked very very hard but an A in chemistry feels good!

I'm a science major right now (Animal Sciences/Pre-Vet). I would really reccomend you take general chem over again. Its a pain, and kinda hard, but necessary for any kind of science career.

Have you tried talking to an advisor at your school? They could probably help steer you in the right direction depending on what you want to do after you have your degree.

Because the ultrasound program only runs at night and on weekends, that pushed me in the direction of Vascular Technology. My latest sick-to-my-stomach-if-I-think-about-it FEAR is the Physics classes. I'll have to take "intro to Ultrasound Physics" the first semester, then Ultrasound Physics II and THEN...Ultrasound Physics III. BLECH! I am really petrified since I never had Physics in high school or college. How bad is it??? Never mind, don't answer that... it's BAD isn't it?!

Hmmmm. I just have to take baby steps don't I? My "other" fear needs it's own thread so I'm posting it now. Please read & help.

Thanks. ;)

physics is really not that bad!! I liked it because (in my head) the concepts made sense. I could see, in the real world, how they worked. To me that makes more sense than chem which are tiny things that I can't see. Don't stress about physics, as long as you're willing to put the time in to learn it, the class should be pretty easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter