Taking Someone Else's Child On An Airplane?

laurenk

DIS Veteran
On Saturday we will be going to WDW. My DS is brining his 13 year old friend. Do I need anything in writing from his parents to get him on the plane? We are flying Southwest.

Thanks!

We never have. They just need their ticket/boarding pass, unless something has changed in the last few months, children don't need to show I.D. at the screening posts. You may already have this, but you may wish to take the health insurance cards for your guests along with you. Also, sometimes a preauthorized statement from the child's parent granting you limited time approval to have certain health related treatments performed is a good idea.

We took my 13-year-old niece last year and didn't need anything, although her last name is the same as ours. I don't think it makes any difference, though. We had a note from her mother with our names and a sentence or two giving us authority for her care while on the trip, but never needed to produce it.

We usually take one of DD's friends with us on vacation and always have the parents sign a notarized statement authorizing me to seek medical treatment for their child in case of an emergency. A doctor or hospital CAN NOT treat a child without permission from a parent or guardian.

I also have put in the note that I have permission to take their child to X destination (usually Disney) from our home state.

Better to be safe than sorry.

As far as the airlines go, they don't care or check any form of ID for children - at least for domestic travel. I am flying with my 2 girls today. The TSA agent will ask the girls what their name is and check it against their boarding pass. That's it.

It's always best to have a signed note from both (if possible) parents when you are traveling out of state with a minor. It may not be required, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I know if you leave the country it's required. My BIL took my niece to Canada for a fishing trip this summer and they had to go back home and get my SIL's signature that it was ok for her husband to take their daughter out of the country. Sounds crazy - but that's pretty standard.

It's absolutely not required for travel within the US. You won't need anything. I travel all over the country each year for different events with my junior high and high school students and have never been asked for anything like that. Most recently, I flew to Orlando with them. Just me and 12 kids (ages 11-15) on our way to Disney World! I wasn't asked for any doccumentation and none of them had to show any kind of ID at all.

I guess it depends on the TSA agent, but while you don't have to have ID for a child, some agents will ask the child questions. My DS is 8, we've flown on 3 trips in the last year, and each time he's been asked (and we, too fly out of Boston) his first and last name and to identify the people (DH and I) that he's with. It threw us all for a loop the first time it happened (and being a doting mom, I tried to answer for him but the agent semi-nicely said she wasn't talking to me, she was talking to him!). So along with all the other great advice you've already gotten, I would have the kid prepared to answer calmly and clearly, "My name is Joe Guy," and if the agent wants to know more, be able to say, "these are my best friend's parents, and I have a written note from my parents giving them the approval to take me on this trip to Disneyworld" or whatever.

laurenk said:
On Saturday we will be going to WDW. My DS is brining his 13 year old friend. Do I need anything in writing from his parents to get him on the plane? We are flying Southwest.

Thanks!

We do this all the time with Southwest and never have a problem.

bleeps said:
I guess it depends on the TSA agent, but while you don't have to have ID for a child, some agents will ask the child questions. My DS is 8, we've flown on 3 trips in the last year, and each time he's been asked (and we, too fly out of Boston) his first and last name and to identify the people (DH and I) that he's with. It threw us all for a loop the first time it happened (and being a doting mom, I tried to answer for him but the agent semi-nicely said she wasn't talking to me, she was talking to him!). So along with all the other great advice you've already gotten, I would have the kid prepared to answer calmly and clearly, "My name is Joe Guy," and if the agent wants to know more, be able to say, "these are my best friend's parents, and I have a written note from my parents giving them the approval to take me on this trip to Disneyworld" or whatever.

That's wierd. I've traveld with probably 40 or so different kids on 15 or so different trips over the past 3 years, and I've never had a single one of them asked anything like that.

Last year when I went to Disneyland with my own kids, and their Dad stayed home, I needed a notarized letter to take them across the border. I would check with a lawyer.I cant believe you would be able to take someone elses kid across the border with no questions asked. Scary. :scared1:Sorry I was thinking I was still on the Canada forum! I would still check on it before your trip.

~luvthemouse~ said:
I cant believe you would be able to take someone elses kid across the border with no questions asked. Scary.

You can't. But, you absolutely can travel with them within the US with no doccumentation needed.

~luvthemouse~ said:
Last year when I went to Disneyland with my own kids, and their Dad stayed home, I needed a notarized letter to take them across the border. I would check with a lawyer.I cant believe you would be able to take someone elses kid across the border with no questions asked. Scary. :scared1:Sorry I was thinking I was still on the Canada forum! I would still check on it before your trip.

We drove over the border last year and the guy asked my three year old if we were his parents. Thankfully DS was having a good day and nodded yes. We also had the birthcertificate as well which we mentioned and they neede to see. However for the OP within the US nobody seems to care as long as they have a ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter