Taking Pack and Play on Airplane

thinkerbell

DIS Veteran
We fly plenty but never with the grandchildren. We will be heading to Disney in June with my daughter and her family. The baby will be 18 months. We just thought about what he would be sleeping in. I know you can request a baby bed at the resort but would prefer taking our own. Has anyone ever flown with a pack and play? Can we take it as one of our checked bags? I’m sure I can call and ask the airlines but thought this might be quicker. We are flying Southwest, if it matters.

I thought you could request a pack-n-play at your resort? When we stay at DVC resorts there is typically one folded up in the closet.

I fly Southwest with my bike so I'm betting you can fly with a Pack and Play. I would find a large duffle or put it in a box. If it's below the dimensions for free bags it will be free. If it's larger than the specified dimensions they will charge you. Don't be surprised if one end of your trip charges you and the other doesn't.

We fly plenty but never with the grandchildren. We will be heading to Disney in June with my daughter and her family. The baby will be 18 months. We just thought about what he would be sleeping in. I know you can request a baby bed at the resort but would prefer taking our own. Has anyone ever flown with a pack and play? Can we take it as one of our checked bags? I’m sure I can call and ask the airlines but thought this might be quicker. We are flying Southwest, if it matters.
As noted, Disney uses pack N plays as their "baby bed".

I'd be wary about checking it. Checked bags are not handled all that gently. And the hassle of getting from your car to check in desk (to check it) and then from baggage claim to transportation and into your room, just not worth it to me.

I fly Southwest with my bike so I'm betting you can fly with a Pack and Play. I would find a large duffle or put it in a box. If it's below the dimensions for free bags it will be free. If it's larger than the specified dimensions they will charge you. Don't be surprised if one end of your trip charges you and the other doesn't.

Thanks monsterkitty. Hadn’t thought about boxing it up. It folds up into its own duffle like bag but a box would definitely protect it more. I think we actually still have the box it came in.

Jennasis— I do know that we can request one at the resort but I want our own if possible, not the resort’s pack and play. Cleanliness issue. Baby puts his mouth on everything and everything in his mouth.

Thanks monsterkitty. Hadn’t thought about boxing it up. It folds up into its own duffle like bag but a box would definitely protect it more. I think we actually still have the box it came in.

If you get a box that's a bit larger than the Pack and Play, you can stuff it with diapers and other essentials so that valuable space isn't taken up in the luggage. When I fly with my bike I use my husband's clothes to act as padding for the bike (just kidding- I use hoodies and other bulky clothes we may wear). It cuts down on what needs to go in our regular checked bags and what I need to stuff in my carry-on.

Jennasis— I do know that we can request one at the resort but I want our own if possible, not the resort’s pack and play. Cleanliness issue. Baby puts his mouth on everything and everything in his mouth.
I agree with putting it in a box. If you do, I would get some good packing tape and tape up all the corners and seams just as added protection.

I agree with putting it in a box. If you do, I would get some good packing tape and tape up all the corners and seams just as added protection.

Great idea. See...this is exactly why I asked here instead of calling Southwest. Much better input, I’m sure!

If you get a box that's a bit larger than the Pack and Play, you can stuff it with diapers and other essentials so that valuable space isn't taken up in the luggage. When I fly with my bike I use my husband's clothes to act as padding for the bike (just kidding- I use hoodies and other bulky clothes we may wear). It cuts down on what needs to go in our regular checked bags and what I need to stuff in my carry-on.

As long as the dimensions are good, I think we should be good on number of bags. We each get two free bags. We also will have a five year old with us and we get two free bags with him also. I’m thinking that I read that the stroller will be free.

Just a tip before you go to the trouble of bringing the pack and play- make sure the baby is still comfortable sleeping all night in it (maybe a couple of dry runs the week before at home). At 12 months my son was no longer comfortable in ours for a whole night. He just slept between us in the bed on vacation.

Most airlines have a H+W+L maximum of 62 inches, and a folded up Pack N’ Play should easily meet that. Depending on the model and what accessories you pack with it, it should be around 25 lbs, so checkin weight won’t be an issue. I agree about packing it in a box. They won’t treat it gently like they do car seats or strollers. Maybe even some bubble wrap. Finding a box that’s the right dimensions may be an issue though.

Yes multiple times (twice a year for 8 years) It does count as checked baggage (unlike strollers and car seats that are free) but our large sized one met the requirements for size and weight for checked luggage.
One trip we bought one that was small enough to take as carry on but that one was a disaster for sleeping in so we went back to the full size.

Just a tip before you go to the trouble of bringing the pack and play- make sure the baby is still comfortable sleeping all night in it (maybe a couple of dry runs the week before at home). At 12 months my son was no longer comfortable in ours for a whole night. He just slept between us in the bed on vacation.

Ours slept in ours until they were past 3 while we on holidays.

I'd be wary about checking it. Checked bags are not handled all that gently

You can just get a fragile ticket on it, ours has made it through 32 long hall flights plus connecting flights many times on either ends of those and is still in great condition

Yes multiple times (twice a year for 8 years) It does count as checked baggage (unlike strollers and car seats that are free) but our large sized one met the requirements for size and weight for checked luggage.
One trip we bought one that was small enough to take as carry on but that one was a disaster for sleeping in so we went back to the full size.

Ours slept in ours until they were past 3 while we on holidays.

Awesome to hear someone’s experience. Thank you mummabear. We will take your advice and put a fragile sticker on it.

I brought a pack and play on my last trip to Japan. We threw it in a suitcase and had no problems whatsoever. We bought it used on Craigslist for $20 and left it at our air bnb for the next person to use - excellent way to make room for souvenirs!

We also brought along a baby futon to keep her comfy. The bottom of the pack and play is was like a rock.

I have been to Disney 4 times with littles. I opted to bring our pack play 3 times. We also flew SW and it came in with a bag and we just checked at a piece luggage. No problems at all. It was nice to just carry it into airport and check it and it arrived at our hotel in Disney property with the rest of out luggage. I too liked that it was ours and I did not have to worry that there were a million other kids that slept in it. No problems at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!