Take Your 2-Year-Old to Disney! Aug '17 TR * COMPLETE 1/10/19

Congrats on the baby! Fingers crossed from one allergy mom to another that it’s either the same allergies or no allergies! And BTW...I ate the same with all 3 of mine and only my middle kid has the food allergies.

And I don’t think you are bad parents for giving your kid Cheerios and crackers. My ds (the allergy kid) on his 1st Disney trip ate ice cubes. Yep you read that correctly, ice cubes. It was July and hot and he was 22 months old and the ice cubes went on his stroller tray, he was cool, wet and happy! He also had a pretzel. I am excited for our August trip since he can have cooked dairy now...opens up so much! Can’t wait to eat pizza in Italy, him not so much but too bad!

One last thing, enjoy this time. Your daughter just reminds me of my oldest when we took her, so happy. Enjoy the time with just having one kid on your next trip...well until you pop.

Congratulations!!!!!
:jumping1:

Glad to hear you are starting to feel better. I had pretty bad morning/afternoon/evening sickness with both of the girls. So, I know how that is. Fingers crossed it will be completely gone by the time you head to Disney!

Thank you so much!

I'm a couple posts behind on your TR but saw the "life update" and right away thought...................::yes:: So CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm very happy for you all! I also remember when you announced your pregnancy here with Ryann :goodvibes

Glad you're starting to feel a bit better and I hope it continues. My DIL is due in July with her first and had an extremely rough first 4 months. Luckily she's feeling great now.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Thank you!!! Seems like yesterday I was pregnant with Ryann. Time is flying for sure. I think I saw on fb that your DIL had the baby? If so, congratulations!!!

Congratulations Heather!!!!!! So happy for you all. I went to Disney pregnant with Casey (I was about 4 months) and all I can say is know where all the bathrooms are and eat all the food!

Thank you!!!

Congratulations!

Thank you!

Congrats!!

Thank you!

That's wonderful! Congratulations!

Thank you!

Congratulations! I hope you feel well on your trip and have a wonderful time!

Thank you!

How exciting! Congratulations!!

Thank you!

Congrats!!!

Thank you!

Congrats on the baby! Fingers crossed from one allergy mom to another that it’s either the same allergies or no allergies! And BTW...I ate the same with all 3 of mine and only my middle kid has the food allergies.

And I don’t think you are bad parents for giving your kid Cheerios and crackers. My ds (the allergy kid) on his 1st Disney trip ate ice cubes. Yep you read that correctly, ice cubes. It was July and hot and he was 22 months old and the ice cubes went on his stroller tray, he was cool, wet and happy! He also had a pretzel. I am excited for our August trip since he can have cooked dairy now...opens up so much! Can’t wait to eat pizza in Italy, him not so much but too bad!

One last thing, enjoy this time. Your daughter just reminds me of my oldest when we took her, so happy. Enjoy the time with just having one kid on your next trip...well until you pop.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the allergy thoughts... you know I think about it a lot. I wish we knew more about what causes them, I so wish there was some aspect of this I could control.

So glad your son enjoyed ice cubes on his first trip! That cracked me up.

Congratulations!!

Thank you!

Hi Everyone! :wave:

So sorry that I'm literally the worst and disappeared again. I'm 5 months pregnant now and finally feeling like myself again, just in time that I also feel enormous so it's still hard to get through the day :laughing: Thank you so much for all of the well-wishes. They were much appreciated.

We had a great trip in May and DD is already begging DH to go back. So far he hasn't given in, but I'm hoping to plan a trip for next August. We'll see...

Now that it's summer I'll have some more time to dedicate to the DIS and I really want to wrap up this TR before we reach the one year mark. We're almost at the end...

Chapter 23
In Which He's a Little Teapot

I was feeling like a new woman with my new, dry [pajama] shorts and ready for dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe!

IMG_4174.png

DH went to the bathroom and I asked our waitress if they still do the enormous fountain sodas. She said that they do but you can't request it, it's up to the server and she already did one this hour. I said no problem, I was just wondering because my husband doesn't know about it and thought it would've been funny to play a trick on him. She was apologetic but I completely understood and just ordered a coke for him and water for me and DD.

When DH came back it was time for a horse race! But they ran out of horses! :guilty: A CM told me they'd do another round so we waited and DD ended up being the leader of the next group. She was super excited.
IMG_4185.png

Unfortunately for every other child, she didn't quite understand what to do and was holding everyone up :rolleyes1 So DH gave her some assistance to speed things up...
giphy.gif

And then she got the idea
giphy.gif

We sat back down at our table and lo and behold the waitress brings out an enormous soda and casually puts it in front of DH. He was sooooo confused. He thought we were supposed to share it and asked if I ordered coke too. I casually said "No, I got water," and sipped from my normal-sized cup. It was so funny. He looked at me confused for a while, afraid to drink until I explained what was happening.
IMG_4193.png

A CM announced that someone's getting married and in honor of him, all the "boys" age 18+ have to get up and line up at the front of the restaurant. We saw a young man who didn't get up and his server went over and made him join everyone else. DH, ever the ham, went pretty willingly with only a slight act of hesitation. Once all the men were lined up, this amazing CM led them all in a rousing rendition of "I'm a Little Teapot" complete with interpretive dance. It was amazing. It was so funny, I couldn't stop laughing. DD was laughing too.
giphy.gif

When DH returned to the table DD gave him a high five and said, "Nice job, Daddy!" The best part was, I didn't even tell her to do that. She came up with that all on her own :rotfl2: She definitely enjoyed the performance!
giphy.gif

Later on they did the Hokie Pokie but DD didn't want to dance. She called it the "okie dokie" which was adorable though.

DD screamed "Weeee neeeeeed ketchuuuup!" every time another table did it and thought it was hilarious. I don't think she could even see all the ketchup bottles. She just loved the yelling.

It was a really delicious and fun meal and I was glad we switched it from our original plan of having dinner at Be Our Guest.
IMG_4210.png

IMG_4206.png

IMG_4215.png

IMG_4214.png

IMG_4209.png

IMG_4207.png

IMG_4217.png

DD thoroughly enjoyed her dessert, particularly the light up Tinkerbell. And she certainly didn't want the chocolate sauce on her elbow to go to waste.
giphy.gif

(continued in the next post)

Last edited:
We enjoyed our desserts too.
IMG_4219.png

IMG_4220.png

We really enjoyed our meal here. We did have a small incident because DD seemed to have two contact reactions during the meal. First I noticed about 6 small hives under her hand. I guessed it may have been from the horse stick ride, since countless other kids had touched that horse while eating. I washed her hands and the hives went away quickly. Then during dessert she got a widespread rash on her chin and cheeks with some hives. I don't think she was served any of her allergens and think she just came into contact with something, maybe on the table or high chair. Our waitress told us to stay as long as we need (and added that she "likes us anyway"). We had mentioned we were planning to go back to Magic Kingdom that evening and she said that if anything happened and we needed an EMT to let anyone with a walkie talkie know. She also let her manager know what was going on. She had even told her earlier on in our meal about DD's hives on her wrist, but I didn't know that at the time. It was nice to hear they were so on top of it. The rash went away on its own, and the waitress and manager both checked on us before we left. With that little bump behind us, we were ready for the rest of our night!

DD was quite exhausted and literally log-rolled around on the floor in the lobby because she thought it was fun. DH went chasing after her and bumped into someone that knew him, though he had no idea who it was. He did a good job of playing along and pretending he knew her though, he fooled me! :laughing:

Up Next: Back to the Magic Kingdom!

Last edited:
sked our waitress if they still do the enormous fountain sodas. She said that they do but you can't request it, it's up to the server and she already did one this hour. I said no problem, I was just wondering because my husband doesn't know about it and thought it would've been funny to play a trick on him. She was apologetic but I completely understood and just ordered a coke for him and water for me and DD
Strange thing to say. And intresting that they are to only don one per hour...

When DH returned to the table DD gave him a high five and said, "Nice job, Daddy!" The best part was, I didn't even tell her to do that. She came up with that all on her own :rotfl2: She definitely enjoyed the performance!
giphy.gif
So cute!

I washed her hands and the hives went away quickly. Then during dessert she got a widespread rash on her chin and cheeks with some hives. I don't think she was served any of her allergens and think she just came into contact with something, maybe on the table or high chair.
Oh man! Poor girl. Glad it wasn't too bad.

Chapter 24
In Which We're In the Sky with the Fireworks

We took the boat back to Magic Kingdom from Wilderness Lodge after dinner. It's such a nice nighttime ride.
IMG_4227.JPG

IMG_4228.JPG

IMG_4231.JPG

The first thing we did was one of my must-dos!
IMG_4232.JPG

The People Mover at night! I just love it so so so much. I love it during the day too, but it's magical at night with all of Tomorrowland lit up. Bonus points if there's a dance party going on. DD loved it too and wanted to ride again.
IMG_4239.JPG

We had a FP scheduled for Magic Carpets of Aladdin since we had promised DD we would go back when we didn't have time to ride earlier (Thanks again to the woman in line in front of us who ended DD's meltdown with her quick-thinking and kindness). I changed that FP to Teacups since it was much closer and I assumed I would be able to get a FP for Carpets later if we really needed it. The FP time for the Teacups was pretty much immediate so we headed right over.
IMG_4242.JPG

It was empty and the FP was totally unnecessary. Oh well.
IMG_4243 (1).jpg

There was a photopass photographer taking nighttime shots in front of the ride which was pretty neat. I had never seen anyone there before.
MK_TEACUPSSLOWSHUT_20170828_404512087049.jpg

Next I booked a FP for Dumbo that was ready to use immediately and that we also didn't need. We just walked through the standby queue with zero wait. The fireworks started while we were riding and it was pretty cool.
IMG_4256.JPG

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Most of the elephants were flying empty, and when we landed the cast member made an announcement, "If you want to ride again please remain seated and keep your seatbelt fastened." We decided to stay on, as did the few other people who were riding with us. We ended up riding three times in a row and that seemed to be everyone else's limit too, as everyone cleared out after that, even though we were invited to ride again if we wanted.
(Side note: this is now a family tradition as DD insisted that we watch fireworks from Dumbo on our most recent trip and she still talks about it)

We wanted to catch Tinkerbell's fight so we booked it back to Tomorrowland to find a spot we could watch from. Good thing I have the Happily Ever After soundtrack completely memorized so we were able to time it perfectly. We made it to the Tomorrowland bridge with a minute or two to spare.
IMG_4262.JPG

[Continued in the next post]

IMG_4264.JPG

giphy.gif

Watching her wave at Tinkerbell had me so choked up. I still cry when I watch the video. Pure magic.
giphy.gif

After the fireworks I suggested we stay rather than exit the park with everyone else and deal with all that human traffic. DD had said earlier that she wanted to ride Winnie the Pooh so we headed there. We rode twice in a row with no wait. Then we finally made it back to Magic Carpets and rode that twice in a row too (no fastpass necessary). We could see some of the projections on the castle from the Happily Ever After show from the carpets which was cool.
IMG_4270.JPG

It was 9:55 at this point with the park closing at 10. I wanted to squeeze in one more ride and suggested Pirates of the Caribbean but DH nixed that idea. It was probably the right choice since we noticed as we left that a lot of people were still watching Happily Ever After and there weren't any huge crowds exiting at the same time as us.
IMG_4272.JPG

I turned back to get my last look at the nighttime castle :sad1:
You can see in the picture that most people are standing around watching the castle as opposed to actually leaving.
IMG_4273 (1).jpg

We only waited two minutes before a bus pulled up. It was standing room only though, so DH stood with the stroller and our bags while I stood holding DD, who actually fell asleep on me. Go figure she does it on a night that I had to stand :confused3

When we were exiting Storybook Circus after riding Dumbo, a CM approached us and asked if we wanted a free bag of caramel popcorn. We said sure and took it with us. DD couldn't eat it but DH and I would. When we got back to the hotel room I took a picture of it (with my hand included for scale :laughing: - it was a big bag!)
IMG_4275.JPG

Before bed we discussed tomorrow's plans, and I made some big last minute changes at DH's request...

Last edited:
Chapter 25
In Which We Relax

giphy.gif

You probably read the chapter title and were properly horrified. Relaxing in Disney!? :rotfl:

We were supposed to Rope Drop Animal Kingdom this morning with hopes of riding Flight of Passage since I wasn't able to get FP for it. Last night DH was campaigning hard to sleep in this morning and go swimming. I didn't really want to but I eventually gave in and changed our AK FP to Epcot ones for later that afternoon before going to bed.

So naturally, since we had already decided to sleep in, I woke up at 6:30. For a minute I considered quickly getting ready and taking an Uber to AK by myself but decided I just really didn't feel like it. I laid in bed for a while and at 8:15 I heard trucks or some other construction vehicles beeping. DD actually slept until 9am which is very unusual for her, so I guess she really needed the sleep. About an hour later we left the room to get breakfast at Pepper Market. It was cloudy and drizzly. Not great weather for swimming.
IMG_4280.JPG
Ready for breakfast and checking out the Donald, Panchito, and Jose construction pins that were in our room when we checked in.

Here's some construction
IMG_4284.JPG

And some non-construction
IMG_4287 (1).jpg

For breakfast, the chef made DD egg-free milk-free Mickey waffles which was exciting. He also prepared her a bowl of fruit.IMG_4288.JPG

giphy.gif

I got an omelette. I didn't note what was in it but if I know myself it's probably spinach, mushrooms, onions and tomatoes.
IMG_4291.JPG

Pre-refurbishment Pepper Market. It looks different now and has a different name: El Mercado de Coronado.
IMG_4298.JPG

I picked up these bad boys for later
IMG_4299.JPG

The weather had cleared up after breakfast so we walked over to the pool. I took a bunch of pictures.
IMG_4300.JPG

IMG_4302.JPG

IMG_4303.JPG

Continued in the Next Post

Someone else liked our drinks too :laughing:
IMG_4325.JPG

IMG_4326.JPG

It's so convenient that Disney has life jackets by the pools rather than having to waste suitcase space bringing our puddle jumper from home.
IMG_4331.JPG

She loved the splash area.
IMG_4336.JPG

giphy.gif

That's right, splash him and run away! :rotfl:

DH took DD into the pool and I relaxed with my drink for a little while. Okay, so maybe relaxing in Disney isn't SO bad after all...
IMG_4341.JPG

And DD was having a blast and that's always worth it
IMG_4374.JPG

DH decided to try out the slide. I love how it looks like he's legit in a tropical jungle :laughing:
IMG_4409.JPG

giphy.gif

Continued in the Next Post​

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!