Tab and Greg PJ: 9/30/08 - Update! Our "Highlights" video from Cinema Chic

Tabetha

DIS Veteran
Hi Girls, I know I haven’t been around much and I wasn’t all that well known before I vanished for a while, but I thought it would be nice to put a planning journal together and get to know folks a little bit better.

About us: Greg and I met through comedy. We’re both actor-types who specialize in improvisational and sketch comedy in Toronto. I’d met Greg here and there through the “scene”, and always thought he was pretty cute. We did a show together (an improvised whodunnit) and during the course of the show I was surprised to find that although my character started out flirting with Greg’s, before long it wasn’t the character anymore. I was flirting with him. After the show, he introduced his girlfriend. Well, darn.

Months later, we met again at the Canadian Comedy Awards (where my improv troupe won “Best Improv Troupe” for the second year in a row, thank you very much!). We were backstage and he greeted me with a hug and a “What is that intoxicating perfume you’re wearing?” I laughed, and told him I wasn’t going to tell him what perfume I was wearing so he could go home and get it for his girlfriend! He replied, “What girlfriend”. Apparently they had broken up. I didn’t believe him so he enlisted the help of many people to prove they weren’t together anymore.

He had to leave the Awards weekend early, and I spent the rest of the weekend flirting with others, thinking that pursuing Greg made no sense, thanks to the 9 year age gap. I swore I’d never date a younger man. Seemed pointless, since we’d be at such different points in our lives. But, in an uncharacteristic move, when I got home, I emailed him to see if he wanted to get together and watch football. He did. We had a wonderful time. Long story short, never say never. Turns out Greg is the most wonderful, generous, kind and loving man I’d ever met. And Scooter, my dog, loves him!

The Proposal: Disney World, where else. I had been working on a cruise ship (actually, working for a comedy theatre called “The Second City”, doing shows on NCL cruise ships) and we had a week off since Rosie O’Donnell chartered the ship we were working on and brought all her own entertainment. I took that week and met Greg at Disney World. We love going there. It was where we took our first vacation together, and I had recently bought into DVC thinking that I’d like to bring kids there someday (if I ever have them). It was the week after my birthday, so Greg had planned a special “Birthday” night for me. All he told me was to bring a dress, and so I did. We got ready and hopped in the car and drove from Saratoga Springs over to the Magic Kingdom area. When we pulled into the Polynesian, I figured we were going to the Luau. Greg parked me at the bar by Ohana, and said he was going to “check in” at the Luau desk. I ordered drinks, and when he came back he said we had time to watch some of the fireworks, so we walked to Sunset Pointe. This is where Greg started to get agitated. There were people already there, sitting on the grass. He didn’t want to stand close to them, so he pulled me back a bit. Then more people came. He didn’t want to be near them… so we walked down the hill on the grass. I slipped my shoes of and walked barefoot on the cool, damp grass. We stood there in each other’s arms, watching the Electrical Water Parade. I didn’t think it was possible to be happier. We had been apart for almost 3 months, I only had to go back to the ship for one more week and then I could go home, but we got a trip to Disney in the meantime! What could be better? Only one thing. Before I realized what was happening, Greg was down on one knee asking me to make him the happiest man in the world by being his wife. I don’t think I even let him finish, I said yes so fast.
We watched the fireworks for a few minutes more, happy tears in our eyes, when Greg said, “We’d better get going if we’re going to make our Victoria and Albert’s reservation”. Just perfect. Our menus said “Congratulations on your engagement”, which makes a wonderful souvenir. A perfect end to a perfect night.

The Aftermath: If you could call it that. Our parents were thrilled. Our friends were ecstatic. Happiness reigned. We just had to decide on where to have the wedding (as if there were any doubt), what kind of wedding to have, and when to have it.

The Planning: We took a look at dates we wanted to work around – we didn’t want to get married in the summer – too hot. We needed to wait until Greg was finished school, though, so that ruled out spring. I wanted to keep the date sometime in “low” season, to help keep costs down (which also meant avoiding a weekend). In a perfect world, I also wanted the wedding to coincide with the Food and Wine Festival – a favourite of ours. Originally we chose September 29th, but when I contacted Randy Chapman to book him, he had just received a deposit from another bride for that day. Well, boo! So we bumped the date to the 30th, and all was right with the world again.

On a visit in September of this year, we met with Bill Barchik at Disney, and set up plans to be married in the Wedding Pavilion at noon on September 30, 2008, with a lunch reception to follow in the Whitehall Room, and a dessert Party later that night at French Island, Upper. I am thinking of keeping the dessert party as a surprise for our guests.

The Clothing: As soon as the idea of an engagement was even hinted at, I started looking at dresses. I knew it was going to be a chore, because I’m not into the whole “princess for a day” thing. I don’t like big and poofy, and the idea of this imperfect, bumpy body being coated in white satin seemed to be a bit more than I could handle. It wasn’t long before I came across a photo of a Jenny Packham’s “Claire” design. I fell in love with it. It was perfect - kind of Art Deco, kind of vintage glamorous. Love. This. Dress. I went to the only shop in Toronto that carried it - $2900, pre-tax (14%) plus alterations? Ouch, and no. And so I kept looking. Boy did I look. But I figured if I wasn’t going to settle on the man, why settle on a dress? Ok, I’m really trying to justify spending more than twice what I wanted on a dress… its corny, but it’ll make me happy. I found a place in New York that has it for less, and they’ll ship it. So. That’s how it’s going to be.

The Dress:

clare.jpg

Not sure about a veil – possibly a birdcage. Definitely no tiara. Probably will wear blue shoes. Greg will wear a morning suit for our daytime ceremony and reception, and may change into a tux with tails for the Dessert Party.

The Flowers & Décor: Absolutely no idea. I’m totally lost.

The Food: Again, no idea. Something awesome, though. The food is very, very important to us.

Entertainment: I would love to have a jazz trio at lunch.

The Wedding Party: I will have my sister, Rachael, stand up for me, Greg will probably have his sister, Kathryn, stand up for him.

The Officiant: Rev. Randall Miller. I saw Caitlin’s sneak peek on STVS’s website, and I knew I wanted him. Greg’s family is Catholic, and since a Catholic ceremony wasn’t an option we’re having a blessing at home before our “at home reception”.

The Photographer: Randy Chapman, of course.

Hair/Makeup: I’d like my step-mom to do my makeup – and I know she’d really like to do it. She sells Mary Kay and has done my makeup for other things – including a photo shoot. She’s really good, and I think it’d be nice. Problem is, my mom really dislikes her, is afraid of her, or is intimidated by her, or some weirdness like that. Either way, bad blood. And I think my mom would want to be around, and have her makeup done too. Hair – no idea. Maybe I’ll just have someone come and do everything for all of us, and find another way for my step-mom to be involved.

The Politics: Yes. At every wedding there is always some form of drama or another. And mine is that my parents are divorced – they separated 5 years ago. Time has passed, but things are still raw. I’ve told my mom that she needs to figure out a way to be able to be in the same room with my dad without having an emotional breakdown, but she hasn’t figured out how to deal with her feelings yet – even after all this time. It’s the only thing that worries me. And it’s a doozy. I’m already stressed out about it and the wedding is still 10 months away.

Invitations: No idea.

Favors: No idea.

Gift Bags: Seems like a nice idea. We’ll see if it’s in the cards. And by cards, I mean budget.

Budget: Interesting that you should mention that. The minimum for our day/time of year is $10,000. We’ll have no problem hitting it, I’m sure. We decided on a Custom Wedding after talking out the differences between the two. Ultimately, we figured we’d rather have the option of having more than 18 guests and would prefer the structure and planning that goes along with the Custom (Wishes) wedding option. For me, it was all about the cake tasting. You think I’m kidding? Did I mention, we love food?

Money?: I’m currently halfway through the first of my two, four-month contracts on the NCL Spirit. Its hard being away, but Greg and I recognize that this is the best (and only) way for us to come up with the money we need for the wedding. He has some money saved, and I am paying down my own debts and generating savings to fill up our wedding budget goal. Being away from home for 8 months sucks pretty hard, but my life on the ship is pretty easy, and it is very rewarding to actually be a working actor for a change. Our current home port is New Orleans – which I’m falling in love with, and in March we’ll be making the trek back to New York – which will be our home port for the rest of my contract.

And Tah-dah! That is my planning so far. I’ll try and update when I have more info, and are in a port with free internet!

So Exciting!!!! The beginning of your story sounds familiar. Have you posted it somewhere else on here?

I'm pretty sure I posted the proposal story back in Feb/March, so that might be why it sounds familiar...

Thanks for the compliments on the dress. I'm sending my measurements today - although I was pretty preturbed when my friend and I did the measurements last night. How did I get so thick!? Oh right - lethargy and ship food. Ouch.

Every go on a cruise and gain 5 pounds? Yeah, try living on a ship for 8 months. Yowza.

very exciting! i always wanted to work on a cruise ship! i am wearing a birdcage and it is so beautiful, i can't even tell you! i got mine from www.mybirdcageveil.com the lady melody who owns the company is fantastic! i love her, she is so sweet and my veil is striking! can't wait to hear about the rest of your plans!

very exciting! i always wanted to work on a cruise ship! i am wearing a birdcage and it is so beautiful, i can't even tell you! i got mine from www.mybirdcageveil.com the lady melody who owns the company is fantastic! i love her, she is so sweet and my veil is striking! can't wait to hear about the rest of your plans!

Thanks for the link, Caryn. I can't seem to get it to work, but that could just be the crappy ship internet. I'll check again in a port somewhere. It's going to be expensive, planning a wedding from afar, considering I will need to pore over a zillion web pages - and ship internet is expensive (although cheaper for us than for passengers). Worth it, though.

Working on the ship is fun, although we don't work that much. We're pretty lucky, we just do our shows and hang out the rest of the time. Not like the real crew who work a zillion hours a week! We're weenies compared to them.

Thanks for the new link - that works!

Ok, so now I'm having dress ordering stress. I'm working on losing weight right now, and I need to either order my dress in 16 or 18. I feel like the 18 will be too big. The 16, I'm 2 inches too big in my waist and my hips right now. If I lose the 10 lbs I'd like to, my waist drops by 5 inches and my hips by around 3, based on my history. I feel like I should order the 16, but now I'm scared - what if by some fluke I'm unable to lose ANY weight?

More salads, more gym time...

I admit, I am prone to hyberbole.

If it were any other dress, I probably would order the size up. I'm just concerned with the sparkly overlay. It's pretty ornate up around the torso, and I don't think it would take well to major tailoring... The silk sheath would be no problem.

What I may do is wait, and take the hit on a possible price increase in January.

Hiya Tabetha!

You're proposal sounds absolutely beautiful and your dress is stunning! That is exactly the kind of dress I pictured myself in... Floaty and dreamy and light and lovely.... Hmmm.... my choice of dress when we went shopping didn't QUITE end up with me getting floaty and dreamy and light though!! Hahahaha

Is it possible to wait a little while before you order your dress? Planning a wedding is stressful enough without giving yourself the added hassle of HAVING to fit into a dress too... Although I appretiate the incentive for it to fit is what some people thrive on and gives them the determination to lose weight. I'm not really sure I could put myself through that though. I bought my dress in a UK size 10 (which I think is a size 6 in the US?) and although in an ideal world I would really like to be a size 8 when I get married and probably will be down to healthy eating and the gym, I just didn't want the extra stress of HAVING to get to my goal by March. I also chose a lace up back style dress so i'll get away without having to have the sides taken in (or out!!)

Good Luck with your plans... everything sounds wonderful!!

Christina

xxx

Hi Christina!

Thanks for your comments - good advice. The embarassing point for me is that I really have no excuse to NOT be in good shape right now. I could go to the gym 24 hours a day if I wanted to. Its not like there's a huge demand on my time here. But, I do have to cut myself some slack, I'm almost all the way through a running training program which will have me running 5K in another week's time, and the time that I've put in so far has made a marked difference in my hips, legs and derriere.

Now, I need to start working the rest of me. And I need to get over the fact that the lettuce on the ship "tastes weird". It really does though, sometimes. It tastes like it's been stored in a tin can or something.

I suppose I don't need to order the dress immediately, whatever I save in a potential price increase could be lost to massive alterations if I order a dress that ends up being way too big when I lose weight. (Yes, WHEN I lose weight. Go positive thinking!)

Well, it's a done deal. I've ordered the dress. The very nice lady I've been dealing with concluded that the smaller size should be fine, now that I'm "in training to be a bride". What a funny phrase! She's right though.

After our shows last night, I passed on the cocktails and had a club soda when I was hanging out with the cast, AND I left after an hour so I could get in the gym time that I had procrastinated on during the day time.

Hooray me! I'm gonna do it!

Greg and his family are on board the ship this week so we can all celebrate Christmas together.
For our Christmas gift, they've kindly offered to pay for our photographer. I was so surprised, it was a very sweet gift!

I've started creating newsletters for our guests, and I'm pretty pleased with how they're turning out. The first issue outlines when the wedding is happening, why we chose that date, hotels, reasons to stay on property, and other events going on at WDW while we'll be there. I hope to get them printed up at Office Depot, and then get them mailed out in the next couple of weeks.

We're still waiting on our Letter of Agreement and whatnot, we'll probably get it next month sometime.

We're considering these invitations:
345_c3_front.jpg

I like the vintage look of them a lot. Plus, they're relatively reasonably priced.

We're thinking of blue and green as wedding colours - green is Greg's favourite colour, and I keep seeing wedding stuff I like in blue.

So that's where we are at the moment. Greg will be coming to visit me on the ship again in February, so we'll be able to sort out ceremony ideas then so I can send the couple interview back to Rev. Miller. On his last visit over Christmas, we sorted out a guest list (A's and B's) and he's at home gathering addresses of his friends and family. Whatta guy!

Wow. My ticker says 8 months until our wedding. So I guess we'll get our Letter of Agreement soon, unless we have to wait all the way till the end of the month, since we're getting married at the end of September.

Greg's coming on Feburary 17th to spend the week with me, so I emailed Bill to see if we could get it that week. Doubt it, but it's worth asking, right?

Meanwhile, I caught a Mardi Gras parade on Sunday afternoon. How FUN! And I caught a bazillion beads, which will come in handy at our "at home reception", which is being held at a New Orleans themed restauarant.

I really like the invitations! Getting your letter of agreement is the best part(besides paying the deposit:rotfl: ) That's when the ball really gets rolling!!!

Whee! We're a step closer!
Bill sent us an email detailing the info he needs from us to create our letter of agreement, and our room block!
Now the room block stress begins...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter