Switching Hotels on a 2 night stay - Portofino and Cabana Bay

mlggator22

Mouseketeer
Background
We are coming out to Orlando for a short trip in July--6 days split between Universal and Disney. We will be staying 2 nights at Universal.
We have two people in our party who use DAS at Disney, but based on reports here of how hard it Is to get the DAS equivalent at Universal, I'm nervous about relying on that. I won't get into reason that I need it here (you can see my other posts/threads), but I cannot stand or sit for prolonged periods of time.
So now we are thinking of upgrading to one of the hotels that has the EP attached to it. The question becomes do we do that for both nights or just one and switch hotels. We will be in the parks on day 1 and the water park on day 2 and have 5 adults in the room (myself, my husband, and 3 adult kids between 18 and 21).
We were thinking of Portofino on night 1 and Cabana Bay on night 2. This would save us $550.
So now to my questions,
How much of a pain the you know what is it going to be to change hotels?
If we do, should we check in to Cabana Bay first thing in the morning? Or should dear hubby leave park mid-day and check in?
I don't want to do it after the park, because I will be tired. Also, I have heard check in lines at Cabana Bay can be a nightmare. When are we likely to avoid that?

I'm nervous about relying on that. I won't get into reason that I need it here (you can see my other posts/threads), but I cannot stand or sit for prolonged periods of time.
No judging at all, however, as stated, that seems to fall under mobility/stamina issues. :confused3They will likely will initially suggest renting a WC, same as WDW generally does. you will probably need to go into detail with them as to your specific needs.

Not sure, do believe you can email guest relations ahead of time To discuss your concerns.

note that 5 adults will incur extra nightly fee for numbers 3, 4 & 5.

While CB would be handy for the WP, I’m not a fan of it due to our checkin experience(s). YMMV. Would think that waiting well after the suggested 4 pm might be beneficial. Otherwise, have the mr breeze by in the early afternoon

you might get lucky & get the online checkin option I’ve seen mentioned:wizard:

if anything, I’d do the WP the first day & stay @ CB. Move over to PBH the next & you would have the EP for that day & the one you checkout.

For only 2 nights I think switching will take too much time. If you decide to do it, I stayed at Cabana Bay in May and had no line at checkin around 9 AM.
I’m confused how your day 1 and 2 line up with resort stays - will you be staying at Portofino the night before your park day, then staying at CB before your waterpark day? You will have to pack up each morning before you head out for the day if switching and get your stuff out of the room.

Also be aware, Cabana Bay does not have Bell Service to your room. You can leave your luggage with them but they do not have a service to deliver it to your room.

Thanks for your input. I want to suck it up money wise and just stay at the Portofino and hubby wants to switch and save the money.
I am going to share this with him and see what he says.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!