Sweet Caroline, Bum, Bum, Bum. A Groovy Mother/Daughter Trip Nov/Dec 2016. Updated 6/6 X 5! The End

Pluto0809

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone and welcome to my latest TR. I’ve done quite a few of them in the past and links are in my signature. It took me a while to get this TR up and running due to some craziness at my workplace. Hopefully now that I’ve got it going I can update maybe once a week. I was completely and totally lazy with the intro and copied most of it from my PTR.

From East Coast to West Coast in Under 3 Months

That PTR is still ongoing at the moment because I am still planning the West Coast (Disneyland) portion which takes place in 29 days. For those of you who know me already, you can skip on down to the next update if you want. For the newbies, here’s a little bit about me.

My name is Ariana and I live outside of Atlanta GA with my husband Jim and our four dogs. Here we are hanging out with Pooh and Tigger last January.

Jim’s actually not involved in either trip this report will cover but we are planning another trip back to WDW in January 2018 and also a long weekend at Williamsburg, VA in May 2017. Jim is a huge history buff and has been wanting to go there for ages.

Since I think my doggies are adorable, I’m going to share some pictures with you. First up is Eddie. He’s a Miniature Schnauzer and is 15. I have an awful time getting pictures of him because he is solid black and is missing both of his eyes. He lost them a few years ago to glaucoma. Lately I’ve been calling him my “Timex Dog” because he “takes a licking and keeps on ticking”. He's blind, deaf and quite a bit on the senile side. He has been through so much in his life, I’m honestly surprised every day that he is still kicking.

Next up is Alex, he’s a Schnauzer mix and is 10 years old.

Sierra is also a Schnauzer and is 6 years old. She is 100% Jim’s baby.

Last but not least is Remy. He’s a Yorkie and just turned 7 years old.

So, let’s move on and focus this trip which was a Mother/Daughter trip to Walt Disney World. Many of you may remember Mom since we have done several Mother/Daughter trips in the past. Here we are on the last one which was October 2014. I haven’t gotten my Photo Pass pictures from this current trip uploaded yet.

This trip was not supposed to happen at all. We booked it back in April 2016 when free dining came out. We were only going to go if the Disneyland trip fell through. We were waiting on my Brother and SIL to decide if we were actually going to DL. When we finally did make the decision to go to DL, Mom and I could not bring ourselves to cancel this trip. We decided to keep it and make it as inexpensive as possible.

Our dates were Saturday, November 26th through Saturday, December 3rd. We stayed at Pop Century and upgraded the free Quick Service Dining to Regular Dining because we really love our sit down meals.

A few months after we booked and already had our ADRs, we found out that my Cousin and her family would be there the same week! We didn’t overlap on all of our days but they did join us a few times. So joining us on some days were Morgan, her husband Steve and their three kids, Jacob, Jordyn and Kennedy.

Her parents, Esther and Jim (Esther is my Mom’s sister) were also along for the trip. Here they are with little Jordyn.

Finally, Morgan’s little sister, Sydney, flew down for just a few days. She couldn’t get the whole week off. Here she is with her husband, Kevin. He was not able to join in on the trip.

Up Next: Holy Magical Express Lines Batman!

Reactions: DLo
Holy Magical Express Lines Batman!

Before I start this chapter I figured I would explain the title to the TR. As you know, we stated at Pop Century hence the “Groovy” part. And every time, and I mean every time we got on a bus to or from Pop, we heard Sweet Caroline. It got to be a running joke the whole week. I'm still singing the song in my head and it's been almost a month. We even heard a guitar player at Disney Springs playing it! OK, let’s move onto the actual trip.

My vacation started a few days before the trip since I was off Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving. Since it’s just Jim and I (the rest of our family is up North and we didn't go home), we usually go see a movie on Thanksgiving Day and this year was no exception. We saw “Magical Beasts and Where to Find Them” which I loved. I’m a pretty huge Harry Potter fan.

I wanted to see Moana on Friday but our furnace guy came over instead to finish up some work. Our furnace went out in the middle of November (of course on the first week we had freezing temperatures in Atlanta). Both it and our Air Conditioner were over 23 years old so we decided to replace both. Luckily he had the heat up and running within a few days but still had some work to finish on the air conditioner.

Saturday dawned super early for me at 4:30 am because I wanted to be out the door around 6 am. My flight wasn’t till 10:10 am but I wanted to make sure I was waiting for Mom at her gate. She left up North at 7:05 am and her plane arrived at Atlanta at 9:20 am.

We made it out the door a little later than I wanted and you get this riveting picture to prove it.

We got to the airport around 7 am and Jim dropped me off at the Southwest counter. Bag check lines were huge but it went faster than I expected. I have TSA Pre-Check so security was a breeze. It took me a few minutes to find a smart board that gave me Mom’s gate but I was there waiting for her by 7:30 am. I thought I would have two hours to kill but surprisingly Mom’s plane landed at 8:40 am, 40 minutes earlier than scheduled!

We were both hungry and since we had lots of time, we decided to get some breakfast. We kind of wanted Chick-Fil-A but the nearest on was quite a hike from our gate. So we settled on breakfast sandwiches from Charley’s Philly Steaks. I got the egg and cheese, hold the cheese so basically egg on a bun.

Mom got a version with some kind of meat on it but I didn’t get a picture. We were pleasantly surprised at how good these sandwiches were. And the picture doesn’t show how big the things were. They were on a six inch bun which was soft and fresh. We really enjoyed the sandwiches. I’m kind of bummed because I don’t think they will be open yet when I go to Disneyland since my flight is super early.

We enjoyed our sandwiches and chatted until it was time to board. I had gotten both of us Early Bird Check in so we had great numbers in the A group and got seats near the front of the plane. The airline staff had mentioned that there were going to be quite a few empty seats so I sat in the window and Mom sat in the aisle. We put some stuff in the middle seat as a deterrent and ended up with no one sitting there.

When we landed in Orlando, Mom wanted to stop at a book store to get a book. She had brought a crossword puzzle book that turned out to be really hard so she wanted something different for the rest of the week. We also discussed getting something to eat since it was getting near noon but we were both still pretty full from the breakfast sandwiches. After a quick 5 minute detour through a book store, we headed down towards the Magical Express and ran into this.

Yep that was the Magical Express line before you even got into the individual bus lines! We crept along and finally were placed in a line.

It took us a total of 50 minutes to get on the bus from the time we got in line. But everyone on our bus was going to Pop Century and we made record time to the resort. I kid you not, it was only 20 minutes from the airport to Pop. I have no idea how our bus driver managed that one.

We were pretty far back so I didn’t get a very good picture of the welcome sign. But this picture cracks me up because you can see the ear of my Stitch backpack.

We exited the bus and I took one picture as we entered the lobby (no worries I took lots more later).

Then we got in line even though I had done online check-in. I wanted to get Mom’s credit card attached to her Magic Band so she could use it for charging. Our room wasn’t ready yet but the CM who waited on us told us where we would be. I had requested 70s and near transportation and we were placed in the 90s building which is pretty much the furthest from the buses. The CM said ever before I opened my mouth that we didn’t want to be in that building and started looking for something else. She found a 3rd floor room in the 50s that was ready right then but Mom wanted to be on the first floor. She then put us in a 1st floor room in the 70s section that was not ready yet. I was very happy with that but little did I know, it would come back to haunt us later that day.

We took a bathroom break and then headed out to check our carry-on bags with Bell Services. This took forever as there was a line and very few CMs around to help. Finally around 2:30 pm we got in the bus line for the Magic Kingdom. I was so ready to catch a glimpse of my castle!

Up Next: I knew It Would Be Crowded but I Never Imagined This!

Last edited:

Wow that is crazy for magical express! I've never seen that! Can't wait to hear more. I'm in WDW as we speak.

Yay glad you've started!

Wow that line for the magical express was no joke! Uh oh, curious to find out what the issue with the room will be!

Can't wait to read more :)

I'm here!! Going back to read now!

The lines were INSANE!! Glad you and mom started off great!!
Im going to sit back here and just read along..

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Last edited:

That Magical Express line makes my skin crawl! Good gravy. I think I would have been climbing the walls.

(Also, I've been a lurker on this board for a long time and rarely post, but I wanted to say that I always enjoy your trip reports--they're some of my favorites!)

I've never seen DME line that long (and I hope to keep it that way!). Looking forward to the TR. And now I've been singing Sweet Caroline all day (guess it's a better ear worm than Small World).

Joining! We were down for Thanksgiving and left on the 26th :) And as you said, holy magical express line Batman :scared1: Lol can you imagine if its your first time using ME and you encounter THAT???
Looking forward to reading more, also my sister lives outside Atlanta in Alpharetta.

Ugh, I still can't believe that DME line. I would have turned around and gone to rent a car! But you said it did move along pretty fast.
Can't wait to read along....I'll try.

Your title caught my eye because my name is Caroline and I am often called sweet Caroline! I love all your cute dogs.
I have never seen the ME line that long wow very busy. Excited to join in on your report!

I can't even get my brain to understand that ME line. Woah. I've never seen it anything like that before!

Looking forward to reading how your trip goes! I"m taking my MIL for her first ever trip in May, and my own mom for HER first ever trip in October, so I'm curious to see how you guys planned your days.

My family and I made our first visit to Disneyland in June...I hope you have an awesome trip out west!

Your title caught my eye, I was guessing it was Jellyrols related, lol. Can't wait to read more! That DME line was nuts, we're taking it Saturday, I hope it's not that bad.

I am here - and that is TOTAL craziness - I have NEVER even imagined lines like that! I sure hope the rest of the trip is less crowded - though due to it being TG week plus the title of your next update - I am a little fearful for you. I do, however, know that you survived to tell about it - so that's good.

Hmmm... Jan 2018 huh??? :scratchin

D~

Joining in! Oh my, that line! I'm sure you went knowing there would be holiday crowds. I hope with ADR's and FP's, it wasn't too bad.

I'm here, too :) That ME line is MADNESS!! Our flight landed so late this time that there were no other people around but us. Guess I should count my blessings!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter