Sweating our way around the world! August with a 1yr old with lots of tips to come!

How did I miss this link? I only found it after you mentioned it in your last post on the New Moms thread. I leave in 47 days:cool1:, and Katie will be 12 1/2 months. I'll let you know how it goes!

I can't take vacation during the school year either-we only get 2 personal days. And we aren't allowed to take them the day before or after a holiday.

One day I will get to go the week before Christmas. I went Thanksgiving 2007, and the Christmas stuff was amazing!

Yay! So many of the new moms are going soon! DH gets 3 personal days, but has the same rules as you. Makes me feel better that its not just us!

My husband grew up in Painesville and when we first married, we lived in Willoughby, so we know Lake County very well!!!

Cool! :goodvibes

So in lieu of an update to the planning process I thought I would post some random thoughts.

A few months ago I was obsessed with finding a quality baby carrier to tote Lily around in. I even learned the lingo on www.thebabywearer.com which in case you've never heard of it, takes A LOT of dedication. ;)

So I bought a Beco. It's great, but we barely use it and there is no why we will use it any more than that at Disney. Lily is just too heavy. She's over 20 pounds. I spent sooo much time, it's sad. I still have plans to get it some real use at the zoo before I really make up my mind, but I can't imagine the sweat of the carrier in August.

I also stressed over bringing the right stroller. I finally bought a Maclaren off of ebay for a steal and we all really like it (even DH who was a major stinker about it). I love how small it is after using our giant Graco. I just have to buy a couple of accessories for it. We already have a RayShade that I got for $3 on clearance at Marshall's (Score!)

So we have our major touring gear. I plan on using my...crap I can't think of the brand name...it's the bag that is always recommended on here? Oh! Bagalini..ugh mommy brain. I've used it the past 2 trips and barely had anything actually in it, so I'm hoping it'll fit most of her stuff, because it'll fit in the stroller bag.

I picked out a baby sunscreen...who knew that was so difficult? Got Lily a hat and sunglasses (which she actually wears for the most part so far!) I bought her a bunch of super light sundresses, but now worry about sun exposure. lol

K enough rambling. I think I need to read more PTRs and see what other people write about before I bore you all to death!

My modem went out 2 days ago, and I was going through withdrawals! No one in my area had one, so I had to send dh to Best Buy, an hour away!

I've bought some stuff for the stroller, too. I have a rain cover and sun cover. I ordered the sunscreen, and think it is at the post office (had a note on my door yesterday that they had a package for me, but haven't had time to go and get it-it is either that or some cute Disney outfits for Katie for the trip). I also ordered a fan for her stroller and got it yesterday.

I haven't even thought about sunglasses! I'll have to think on that one!

I've bought some stuff for the stroller, too. I have a rain cover and sun cover. I ordered the sunscreen, and think it is at the post office (had a note on my door yesterday that they had a package for me, but haven't had time to go and get it-it is either that or some cute Disney outfits for Katie for the trip). I also ordered a fan for her stroller and got it yesterday.

I haven't even thought about sunglasses! I'll have to think on that one!

Which fan did you get?
I figured we start with the sunglasses now in hopes she'll be used to them by August. So far she loves them. She looks so adorable with the hat and the sunglasses on, a little movie star. I'll post a pic.

Update:
We are officially booked for December!! I can't believe DH let me rent points this far out!

More details to come!

So how in the world did I convince my very frugal DH to take not just one, but 3 trips in one year?

I really have no idea. I do have some educated guesses.
1. DH hasn't been to WDW in 2 whole years. It's driving him nuts. It's very funny, since every year he tries to tell me that we shouldn't go, but we always do.
2. He loves me and secretly really wants to go for Christmas to avoid the drama we had last year.
3. He has his own little princess to spoil now.

Did I mention said princess, is saying "Pooh?":lovestruc And she absoultely freaks out when Mickey Mouse Clubhouse comes on? The brainwashing has been a success! :laughing:

So I mention my idea to DH and he was actually interested and I eventually talked him into it, by showing him we could take 2 trips for less than we got back on our tax return! Go me!

So I started researching renting DVC points, since we are going to do that and get an annual pass. After 2 months of looking and waiting to hear if SIL wanted to stay with us in December, I finally rented from a nice Diser!

So we are staying December 18-23 at the Boardwalk Villas!!!!!:woohoo::woohoo: We'll be right in the middle of the holiday action on the BW, plus within walking distance to DHS and EPCOT!

Is it wrong to be WAY more excited for that trip? I'm worried about crowds, but so excited to be down there for the pre-holiday!:santa:

So my next update will be the plans for August. hopefully by talking about it with you guys, I can get in the mood! Though just thinking about it has me:banana::banana:

hey..coming from the mom's board. cant wait to see how ur trip turns out. I so never thought about getting DS first haircut in disney. i think ill have to do that but maybe next time cause he deosnt really have any hair!

hey..coming from the mom's board. cant wait to see how ur trip turns out. I so never thought about getting DS first haircut in disney. i think ill have to do that but maybe next time cause he deosnt really have any hair!

:wave2:

I really didn't think Lily would have enough hair, but even though she doesn't have enough for a real cut, we could get a token one, if we weren't going to be back for a while.

If you think of any questions about tips or strategies, ask away. There are a few moms following that have already taken their LO and can answer. :thumbsup2

So here's my August itinerary:

We're leaving Ohio on August 13th, probably in the early evening? I'm so terrified of the drive, I don't even want to think of it. We usually stay in Orangeburg NC on the way down, which is about 10 hours away. I think we may need to stay somewhere closer this time? What do you think? I'm figuring we may be stopping more often.

So anyway, we'll arrive at POR sometime on August 14th, hopefully we won't be regretting the trip! Our Free Dining package starts on the 15th. If we arrive early enough we'll head to DHS and get the park passes from the package started early at Guest Services. (You all know you can do that right?) If not, we'll just chill and recover from the drive.

August 15--head down to check in desk to check in and out and get out dining plan started at 7am (I guess this is the earliest we are allowed to do so).

8:05am--Breakfast at CP; Morning at MK--afternoon break at resort--back to MK depending on DD for the evening as long as she's happy. (heh)

August 16
Epcot--break--Epcot for dinner at the Garden Grill 5:25

August 17
AK--Breakfast at Tusker House at 8:05am--no evening plans

August 18
DHS (unless we get enough done that first day and then we'll go to either EP or MK)
Ohana 5pm--MK evening if DD is up for it

August 19
Not sure...AK is the only good option according to TGM, but I very much doubt we'll want another day there.
The only thing really planned for that day is Le Cellier at 5pm.

August 20
Last day. MK in the morning or maybe hang at the resort for a while and then MK before we leave to head home.

So that's the plan. I'm debating chucking DHS all together to spend more time at MK, because apparently TSM will be closed. There really isn't that much to do there except Playhouse Disney live, but the Animation Studio is such a great spot for characters.

How lucky you are getting to go for so long in August AND December!

You should have a hard time with crowds in Dec since you are getting out of there on the 23rd. I am hoping to be able to convince DH that we should go for a long weekend in Dec. hehe. We only have 5 vacation days to play with though and we are already using 2 in May and hopefully 1 in Sept. So we'll see.

My 9 month old is about 19lbs and I carry her effortlessly in the Ergo I just got. It was seriously like she wasn't even there! I'll trade you my Ergo for your Beco. ;) If you don't want to trade, I'll be glad to take it off your hands. Course we have to take it over to thebabywearer.com since as "disers" money can't pass from one hand to the other. But as "thebabywearers" it can. :rotfl2:

How lucky you are getting to go for so long in August AND December!

You should have a hard time with crowds in Dec since you are getting out of there on the 23rd. I am hoping to be able to convince DH that we should go for a long weekend in Dec. hehe. We only have 5 vacation days to play with though and we are already using 2 in May and hopefully 1 in Sept. So we'll see.

My 9 month old is about 19lbs and I carry her effortlessly in the Ergo I just got. It was seriously like she wasn't even there! I'll trade you my Ergo for your Beco. ;) If you don't want to trade, I'll be glad to take it off your hands. Course we have to take it over to thebabywearer.com since as "disers" money can't pass from one hand to the other. But as "thebabywearers" it can. :rotfl2:

Thanks for coming over!

I feel soooo lucky to be able to go twice. I'm so glad DH can't pass up free food! lol

I have an Ergo that a friend let me borrow. I wish I had tried it before the Beco, because now it's like rocket science. I just can't figure it out, even though I think it's somehow actually easier? I need to get together with my babywearing friends, so they can help me figure this out. I know I'm just wearing her wrong. It should be more comfortable.

Let me mess around with it this week and maybe I will think about your offer! I got a great deal on it, so I'd pass that along...it's the Organic Panther Print:
detail_1029_beco-butterfly-panthers.jpg

I'm copying this from the family board so I don't forget:
This may seem like a stupid thread, but my daughter will be 13 months during our trip in September and she flails during changing. I'm more comfortable changing her on one of the large stations rather than those small fold-down Koala things.

We went to WDW when she was 3 months and I made a mental note of some bathrooms to avoid for changing (this is, of course, if we're nowhere need the baby stations. Obviously, I know they're there ;) )

MK-I believe all of the restrooms I used had the full-size station:
-by Town Hall
-by Tomorrowland Terrace
-by the Bazaar in Adventureland
-by Splash Mountain

Epcot-
-restroom to the right of SSE as you come in is full-sized, I believe the other side is as well
-I think American pavilion has a full-size station
there were a couple of restrooms in WS that only had the fold-downs. I believe Morocco was one of these

Studios-
I can't remember any specific in this park

AK
-restroom by the safari I believe has full-size
-restroom by exit of Kali RR is full-size
*restroom in seating area of Yak & Yeti counter service has NO changing station

Anybody have any definites they can add? :)

Hi! I'm so glad I found your PTR! We're planning on taking DS to WDW in May 2011! He will be 16 months old. I've been looking for a TR to get tips off of! Liliana is adorable!

I'm back today! I'll work on my trip report this week. I will say that Katie HATED the characters, at least up close. We finally got a pic with Mickey and Minnie this morning. She tolerated standing close to them, but didn't want them to touch her. She loved the shows, especially Playhouse Disney!

Hi! I'm so glad I found your PTR! We're planning on taking DS to WDW in May 2011! He will be 16 months old. I've been looking for a TR to get tips off of! Liliana is adorable!

Welcome!! Lily will be 17 months for the December trip, so I should have lots of stuff for you by the time you go!

He is adorable! Love the picture!

I'm back today! I'll work on my trip report this week. I will say that Katie HATED the characters, at least up close. We finally got a pic with Mickey and Minnie this morning. She tolerated standing close to them, but didn't want them to touch her. She loved the shows, especially Playhouse Disney!

I can't wait to hear all about it. I've been contimplating skipping DHS, but I think Lily would love Playhouse Disney. And it's one of the few things DH and I have never done (imagine that! ;)) Plus the character greeting area after the animation studio thingy is a hidden gem, especially for the heat in August.

We've been taking Lily to see the local fuzzies for a LONG time, hoping she'll be okay with them. She really likes the Red Robin robin, but isn't too sure about the Chickfila cow. DH took her to Free Comic Book day and she apparently LOVED the stormtroopers. :thumbsup2

Here's Lily with her glasses...not that she keeps them on much anymore, I'm thinking about trying the ones that have the strap, but I'm sure she'll pull that off too. :teeth:

30870_10150192674490384_612785383_12508128_1619675_n.jpg

She was just in awe at Playhouse Disney. The "characters" there are smaller, and look just like they do on the shows. She danced, clapped, and yelled through the whole show. I wanted to do it again, but there was no time. I won't go during SWW again-the whole park was just too chaotic.

Here's Lily with her glasses...not that she keeps them on much anymore, I'm thinking about trying the ones that have the strap, but I'm sure she'll pull that off too. :teeth:

30870_10150192674490384_612785383_12508128_1619675_n.jpg

Too cute! I gave up on the glasses and fought the hat the whole trip. The sunscreen I ordered (from the New Moms thread) was great-no sunburn the whole trip. I couldn't keep her from rubbing her eyes when I did her face, but she never cried.

Too cute! I gave up on the glasses and fought the hat the whole trip. The sunscreen I ordered (from the New Moms thread) was great-no sunburn the whole trip. I couldn't keep her from rubbing her eyes when I did her face, but she never cried.

That's good to know since it's the kind I have too! We've used it a few times with success.

It's Earth's Best, but it's also the Jason brand in case anyone is familiar. I got it at BRU when it was B1G1, but amazon has it too.

Jason's Natural Sunscreen

It gets one of the best ratings as a baby sunscreen, without costing a boatload like California Baby does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter