Swapping a member of the party

K8T

DIS Veteran
We sail in 10 days, my husband has something very urgent crop up with his company and won’t be able to sail. Can we change him for someone else, or is it too late? I’m thinking of taking my daughters (teen) friend instead.

I’ve been trying to phone DCL, but still on hold!

Thank you.

Do you have a “regular” reservation or a discounted *GT? If it’s a discounted *GT then you cannot make any changes. You might be allowed to change the passenger on a regular booking for a fee (I think it’s $50), though so close to sailing I don’t know if there is any additional penalty. Good luck!

We sail in 10 days, my husband has something very urgent crop up with his company and won’t be able to sail. Can we change him for someone else, or is it too late? I’m thinking of taking my daughters (teen) friend instead.

I’ve been trying to phone DCL, but still on hold!

Thank you.
Can I ask what you found out on this? I might need to change a person in our group for our March cruise if possible.

Edit: I decided to call this morning to get direct information from Disney. I was told I could swap names on the reservation up to one day ahead of time for a $50 fee. By the way, hold time was excellent. Good for Disney for fixing that issue.

Last edited:
I just wanted to post one more update in case anyone searches for this information in the future.

I did indeed need to remove my daughter from our reservation due to conflicts with a new job :(, but on the positive side, we get to take my mom on her first Disney cruise :-), and only second cruise ever. She sailed an inexpensive Baha cruise about 30 years ago. She is over-the-moon excited, since this will be a real treat for her. It's really fun to see it through her eyes for the first time, as I have tried to convey all of the cool things that are included and to be experienced on a Disney cruise. It made me realize how much of it I was starting to take for granted and how fortunate we are to be able to sail somewhat regularly now.

Anyway, the process for switching my daughter's spot to my mom was a quick phone call. I was informed it would be a $50 fee, which they took over the phone with a credit card number. They only needed my mom's name and birthdate. While on the phone I received a confirmation email and noticed my reservation had been updated with her name. The best part was that all of our excursions switched to include her instead of my daughter. I was concerned that we would lose a spot and not be able to take her since both were sold out. I then went to the online check-in system, since we had already done that, and all of our original stuff had been kept, except it now showed a spot for my mom and that her ID and onboard account was incomplete. I completed that and it had me re-sign the contract. It saved my port-arrival time from the first time, even though that was grayed out again until I finished my mom's sections. In the end, I was really impressed with how smooth it was, and pleasantly surprised with Disney's IT systems and how well they updated.

Changing the lead name can be tricky also discounts for the cruise that applies to the lead name are an issue. For example, if you have a Disney+ discount, the owner of that account must sail. Same for military or Florida residents.

Changing the lead name can be tricky also discounts for the cruise that applies to the lead name are an issue. For example, if you have a Disney+ discount, the owner of that account must sail. Same for military or Florida residents.
Good to know! Luckily, I was the owner for the Disney+ discount, so there was no problem there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter