Swan + Mold

wilderness01

Been There, Done That, Going Back!
We just returned from a trip to the Swan. While we had heard great things about the Swan, including the beds that were very comfortable, we did not expect to have mold growing down the wall. At first we didn't know what the weird smell was upon entering the room. I thought it was just stagnant air because the air conditioner goes off when there is no movement in the room. After a few nights there we saw that there was mold growing down the wall. It appeared from afar that it was separating wallpaper. Actually it was a line of thick fuzzy black/green mold growing down the wall. My vision stinks without my glasses (left at home) and actually it was my family member that went up to the wall and saw what it really was. Gross. I contacted the supervisor and had her look at the room. She said she would contact her supervisor. I then went to the front dest to report it when I was checking out. The desk clerk said he would make a note of it and that was it. I insisted on speaking to a manager. She was very apologetic and tried to compensate me with a partial refund on my bill. I told her that wasn't necessary and my reason for speaking to her was to make sure until they had the problem fixed that the room wouldn't be resold. Apparently this had also happened with a dozen other rooms in the hotel that convention people were staying in. That was the buzz when we were waiting for our ride and sitting in the lobby. I understand that Florida is hot and humid so mold can easily grow. But the Swan apparently has a problem that has gotten a little out of control. Now it makes more sense that both the housekeeping supervisor and front desk supervisor didn't bat an eye or question my mold experience as mine wasn't the first complaint of the week. Although the beds were extra comfortable my family will not stay at this hotel again.

We were there in March and you when you looked up from the parking lot, you could see that they were making repairs (or had just finished) to the areas above the windows. I knew exactly what they were doing as I work at a construction company and we just did the same thing to an EIFS building we completed. When I saw that, my thought was that I bet they are having major water intrusion and likely have mold in some areas, depending on how they have been responding to the water getting in. Again, this is speculation on my part, but it does seem like a weird coincidence. Our room did smell musty, but I did not see any mold. Other than that, we loved our stay.

Sorry to hear about your experience. We have stayed at the Swan twice and will go again in dec. We have never had that problem, but if we did, I would ask for another room, Our one ds has asthma and he would not be able to survive in that kind of a condition. The Swan is pretty good about dealing with customer problems.

We were up on the 3rd floor, standard view. We have asthma as well and we were taking our inhalers when we were there. I did not think the Swan was kept up as nice as the deluxes Disney operates. The swan bed was most definately more comfortable though and we did enjoy the soaps.

i though disney service would be better then that.......

As someone already noted, but I just want to repeat........Disney does not own or operate the Swan or Dolphin.

Just returned from the Dolphin. Had a very nice room -- great view - no mold.

Our beds were nice, but that was it with the exception of the soaps. When you walked on the carpet your feet were black from the filth on it. My family member is very, very fair skined and her feet were literally black from walking on the carpet in under 10 minutes. It was gross!:sad2::scared1:

Just returned last Friday and spent five days at the Swan, fourth floor, standard view. Yes, we did have a moldy/mildewy smell in our room and a few traces of mold on the drapes. I thought it was typical for Florida but the smell increased over the next few days and after an afternoon rainstorm, the carpet below the window was soaked. We did complain in person and in writing at the time but they said they could not do anything about it! Loved the location, the beds and the grotto pool and for the $99 educator rate I received I might be tempted again...

:earsgirl: My family and I were in Disney in February for the weekend and stayed at the Swan--big mistake! I know it is not owned by Disney, but aside from being convenient to MGM/Epcot as well as the Boardwalk, this hotel does not have much going for it. We, too, had the moldy smell, but we just assumed it was stagnant air because the windows don't open. There was also a line of black mold growing on the wall by the window in our room as well. We were on the 7th or 8th floor (can't remember), and had a standard view. After complaining upon checkout, we were also given the not so surprised look by the desk person, and that was it. Never again!

Thats why I always stay at a Disney owned and operated resort. I have stayed at nearly every resort in Disney from Value to Deluxe, and have never had any problems at any Disney owned resort.

We've stayed at the Dolphin multiple times and the Swan once. We never smelled or saw mold growing anywhere. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!