SW:GE .... Opening date theory

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by lalasmama, Jan 23, 2019.

1. DarthGallifrey

DarthGallifrey Mouseketeer

I booked a trip Sept 14 - 21 a while back. We really wanted to do Disneyland this year and Sept is just how it worked out for all of us to go. If I can survive WDW at xmas then I am prepared for this haha

2. Cloe Colton

Cloe Colton DIS Veteran

I'll be there November 14th-18th staying at Disneyland Hotel! Hoping that will give me enough time to have a good plan of attack for the Star Wars rides! Hoping to RD one of them and hopefully get a maxpass FP for the other during our 4 days there! (We have hoppers too so that should help!)

DarthGallifrey likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. limabeanmom2003

limabeanmom2003 Wilderness Lodge Memories

We are going in mid July and will be in the parks for 2 days. It has been many years since we have been to DL. In your opinion, to maximize our ability to experience SW:GE.......

1. Should we stay at a DL resort?
    2. Should we purchase MaxPass and do we need to do it in advance?
    3. Would it better to go on a weekend or weekday or won't it matter since it will be insanely crowded everyday?

5. HydroGuy

HydroGuy A Pirate's Life For Me

The only maximization of SWGE from a Disney hotel is EMH - unless Disney changes things. IMO it is not worth staying at a Disney hotel if EMH is is you main reason for staying there. Does EMH help? Sure. But so does adding an extra park day to you trip.

For me this is the sure fire way to maximize SW:GE or DLR in general. The smaller your group, the less it costs per day, and the more benefit you get for the cost. But IMO a better way to spend your money than DLR hotel for EMH.

Will not matter in July. Too hard to predict. I try and avoid weekends because I am old school but lots of folks around here say it does not matter during high season.

:wizard:

limabeanmom2003 likes this.
  6. JenCl456

JenCl456 Earning My Ears

I really hope this is correct. We will be there June 8-15.

kirstie101 likes this.
  7. Arden01

Arden01 Mouseketeer

I'm in the same boat! I am going in August for 2 days and it's the only time we can go. I've been debating about switching to a DL resort for the EMM, but it's much more expensive than the hotel we've booked. I'm considering adding a park day to our arrival day and will definitely use MaxPass. We are going during the week, Wednesday and Thursday.

8. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

Spoke with a CM who has a family member training for SWGE. Family member has been told to be ready for May and June -- which implies what we've been thinking here: May previews and June general public opening. I asked if previews could start as early as May 4th -- reply was a lot of interesting facial expressions, but not an outright negative answer. Of course, with all this rainy weather, who knows if things are still ahead of/on/or behind schedule now.

9. HydroGuy

HydroGuy A Pirate's Life For Me

Hard to imagine how weather can have any impact at this point. Everything is built by now. But I really thought we would have heard something at this point!

:wizard:

10. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

CM confirmed that interiors are done. Remaining work is exterior -- finishing touches and such -- which I'm not sure can be done in pouring rain! But the weather is looking better this week and next (mostly), so maybe they can get caught up. And I agree that the longer they take to make an announcement, the antsier we get around here!

HydroGuy likes this.
  11. rkstocke5609

rkstocke5609 Mouseketeer

I can’t wait to see it, but I think that The Force is telling me to hold off until mid-September mid-week.....:D

12. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

Disney Jobs Twitter just posted a casting call for Star Wars land character auditions. They are holding it on Feb 23. So, seems like they are getting things ready for the land's characters.

Bluewild79 likes this.
  13. jillyh

jillyh Mouseketeer

We'll be there from May 18-22. I was assuming and hoping we would be ahead of the madness. Just read the last few posts of this thread to my husband and he's hoping for a paid preview:)

14. Jairy

Jairy Mouseketeer

Oh wow. We purposely booked the beginning of May (8-12), as we’ve been that time before with low crowds. It’s funny how some people are booking, hoping to catch the opening and some wish to avoid it. Fingers crossed beginning of May is still a good bet!

15. fely1st

fely1st Mouseketeer

With possible previews in may and the expected money for them, do you think they will sell out very fast, or at all? We are visiting from Germany so maybe not returning the next couple of years and I would love to experience SWGE with lower crowds.We will be there June 8 till 12 so I can't wait for dates to be announced. Every day I have a look at the board. DIS is so great and helpful.

16. limabeanmom2003

limabeanmom2003 Wilderness Lodge Memories

I ended up booking at Paradise Pier so we have EMH both days. Who knows how things will shake out in the end, but my plan is to rope drop one of the GE rides and FP the other. I’m getting MaxPass too.

Arden01 likes this.
  17. Arden01

Arden01 Mouseketeer

I would be tempted to do this, but Paradise Pier standard rooms aren't available for our dates - only club level at more than $600 a night! So, I'll do my best with MaxPass :)