SW:GE .... Opening date theory

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by lalasmama, Jan 23, 2019.

1. SeaDis

SeaDis Mouseketeer

I'm kind of surprised this slipped down to page 2.
    ME is "plugged in"! I am writing this prediction down just for fun. Good luck B!

DLRExpert likes this.
  2. toonaspie

toonaspie Just a poser

We could be getting an opening date as early as next month. Toy Story land opened in June last year and had it's official date announced in February. I originally thought they would wait till Star Wars Celebration but that would have created issues for people trying to book.

FeistyDisneyMom likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

But not the thousands stuck in traffic and will not be able to get in. They really need some kind of limited entry plan, like an advance fastpass. Rather than people trying to get there in vain or standing in all day lines.

5. HydroGuy

HydroGuy A Pirate's Life For Me

Limited entry to the DLR parking garage? The whole DL park? SWGE specifically?

:wizard:

6. toonaspie

toonaspie Just a poser

I imagine though the vast majority to appear on opening day will be locals and AP folk who are used to this kind of thing anyway. You should see what the crowds are like during Christmas/NY week and the 24 hr events without that parking expansion.

7. Malcon10t

Malcon10t DIS Veteran

Just to be clear, the week between Christmas and NY is only 8% APs, the majority are tourists. And the crowds are gate closures, without APs. There may be locals who are using day tickets, but not very many. If you are there, you would realize by people watching, the majority that week are tourists.

8. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

There’s speculation that we will get the opening date on the earnings call on feb 5 as that’s how Pandora’s opening date was announced.

9. HydroGuy

Hmmm. And Pandora opened on Memorial Day weekend. :rolleyes1

10. midnight star

midnight star DIS Veteran

Wait I'm confused, I thought the CEO said it is going to open in June?

11. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

That would be opening for the general public. There could be paid previews, AP events, and media events well before that opening date.

12. disney minnie

disney minnie DIS Veteran

We will be there Memorial weekend and it’s our first visit to Disneyland

13. HydroGuy

It may very well open in June but he was not making an official announcement by any means. Some of us (like me) have been speculating Memorial Day weekend - or even early June.

:wizard:

toonaspie likes this.
  14. midnight star

midnight star DIS Veteran

Got it. I'm really hoping it's later June..when it's actually summer. If there is some sort of AP event, I wonder what it will be?

15. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

If Disney is smart, they won't announce a specific opening date. They will just quietly open it one day and let word spread organically via social media.

At the very least, it will keep the massive hoards of people away at first.

And, FWIW, that new parking deck is moving along VERY quickly. The escalators are already installed and the heavy machinery seems to be almost gone at this point. I expect it to be open well before SWGE. That will give them time to figure out the traffic flow and make tweaks to the operating of the trams and security lines.

Already, they are making changes to the tram boarding area in the esplanade at night, by creating rope queues to hold the crowds, while feeding people into the two tram chutes by counting them off so they let in exactly how many will fit on each tram. Not sure how new this is, but they weren't doing this a couple months ago. We saw it Saturday night for the first time. It eliminates the choke point of people spilling into DtD at night.

ten6mom likes this.
  16. Skyegirl1999

Skyegirl1999 1st pickle of the day!

I’m so glad to hear they’re modifying the tram-loading system at night. I park at Toy Story for a variety of reasons, but one is that I hate being packed in a cattle herd of people trying to edge each other out of team seats at the end of the day!

DLgal likes this.
  17. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

Interesting! I don't know if they were doing this even two weeks ago -- if they were, we missed it. It will be great if it works and they keep it going. That choke point was not fun.

DLgal likes this.
  18. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

To SWGE, to stagger the crowds. If you had a 5:00 ticket, you wouldn't show up at opening if that's all you wanted to do. Universal did something similar when Harry Potter opened.

19. Malcon10t

Malcon10t DIS Veteran

Previews in May, I am very confident there will be. I am HOPING there will be a preview May 4th....

That said, MY OPINION and THOUGHT PROCESS is they will not open it until June 21 because 1. they said June, 2. they said Summer (June 21st, first day of summer) and 3. they aren't going to open it while deluxe APs are still open.

20. HydroGuy

:thumbsup2

21. HydroGuy

None of us know yet, but we can (hopefully) learn something from when they opened Pandora at WDW 2 years ago. It was a really big deal at the time, with the Avatar actors present and Disney CEO Iger there, all televised on ABC. But Star Wars GE will be unlike anything we have ever seen.

I was there at AK on Pandora opening day and on Day #2. Some things I have posted on this as food for thought...

FeistyDisneyMom likes this.