SW:GE .... Opening date theory

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by lalasmama, Jan 23, 2019.

1. lalasmama

lalasmama DIS Veteran

We've all seen the hype that people seem to betting on SW:GE opening around 6/21. We've all seen the interview where I get confirms it will be June.

I was browsing Facebook, and an ad comes up for a Disneyland YES program for Girl Scouts. YES is Youth Education Series. It's offered every weekend in June...

Except 6/14-6/16.

It would make sense to not be doing a YES series during the opening of SW:GE...

Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but isn't everyone? :)

Thoughts?

2. RemainSeatedPlease

RemainSeatedPlease Part of Your World

Not a bad grasp! It makes some sense to me. I wonder if there's anything else going on that weekend that would cause it to not be offered?

LilyJC and lalasmama like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Cal-Pie

Cal-Pie I admit that in the past I've been a nasty

The last grad night is June 14th. That might play into it as well?

5. lalasmama

lalasmama DIS Veteran

It looks like that's about the normal time. Last year was 6/9/18, but 2017's was 6/17/18.

I wish I had another idea of things that can be checked to gauge the likelyhood of this... Ha! Novice idea, I know.

6. HydroGuy

HydroGuy A Pirate's Life For Me

“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

7. HydroGuy

I have been saying Memorial Day weekend as the demand will be unprecedented and that will allow Disney to get more people through the funnel this year and generate buzz. That is IF SWGE is ready and all staff trained by then...

8. Malcon10t

Malcon10t DIS Veteran

My guess.... Memorial Day weekend will be previews. Opening will be June 21st. After Deluxe are blocked.

9. longtimedisneylurker

longtimedisneylurker DIS Veteran

That's my thinking too. I am expecting more previews than for previous new offerings and definitely more expensive previews.

FeistyDisneyMom likes this.
  10. beachdreamr1229

beachdreamr1229 DIS Veteran

I was going to say the same. There will probably be previews if you're willing to pay...let's say $500+, but allowing it to open before deluxe passes are blocked would be a logistic nightmare. It's going to be bad enough without the APs crowding it up, plus they'll make more money if everyone is paying full price for admission.

FeistyDisneyMom likes this.
  11. Jaina

Jaina Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long, VMK story.

I'd say that's a pretty good theory. I'm just excited it's not near our April 29th trip. But I am super curious to find out what's still going to be closed then! I would love to be there around opening, just to experience the crazy crowds, but I would hate to pay $130+ a day to do it. :) I'll be excited to watch it all play out from my computer chair (on these boards) and my couch (on Youtube.) :)

StarlitNight05 likes this.
  12. midnight star

midnight star DIS Veteran

The waiting game is driving me nuts. I want to know the opening day, so I know when to avoid that part of the park lol.

I’m also really curious as to how the crowds will be at DCA since deluxe has no block outs over there

lalasmama likes this.
  13. beachdreamr1229

beachdreamr1229 DIS Veteran

I just had a thought about 6/14-6/16...it's possible they could do the ticketed events that weekend or media previews.

lalasmama likes this.
  14. stagemomto3

stagemomto3 Earning My Ears

That is Father's Day weekend, which may be busy in it's own right. Also, something that the Girl Scouts may have wanted to avoid having their members away from their families.

15. HydroGuy

You realize of course that Disney set that DAP blockout in June of 2018, right? There is just no way they could have predicted SWGE'a readiness, or lack thereof, that far in advance. So I would not put too much stock in that date. Just sayin'... :scratchin

:wizard:

SeaDis likes this.
  16. Malcon10t

Malcon10t DIS Veteran

Yup. I think that is the date they are shooting for, if there are delays it can go longer and they can open dates to the DAP. Will be interesting to see how this plays out....

17. SeaDis

SeaDis Mouseketeer

This. I'm not taking a stab on the date. But last year's short-notice unblocking of APs in June had to be a trial run for this year, if needed.

18. guynhawaii

guynhawaii Mouseketeer

Aloha,

No idea of any specific date opening. However, I think there will be several selected openings/ windows for Distinguished Visitors, ticketed events, Club 33, suits and hopefully cast members, business clients, etc...with the public opening last. I would guess the selected openings would start at least one month prior to the public opening.

I would also expect ABC/ ESPN, all of the Walt Disney Media outlets, to either have specials or shows from SWL prior to the public opening.

Another assumption...SWL will delay the public opening until the new parking deck is operational. I would like to think Disney is smart enough to minimize any negative effects of the public opening of SWL which they can control. I don't think they want to crowd out good publicity of the public opening of SWL with negative news of massive grid lock within 10 miles of DLR affecting I-5 and all the near by roads. People would forever remember the public opening of SWL to the day Anaheim suffered from massive turmoil due to horrendous traffic as a result of poor planning by Disney.

19. rentayenta

rentayenta DIS Veteran

My totally uneducated guess is 6/20 due to the Deluxe APs being blocked out June 20, all of July, and into middle August. They would not be blocked otherwise and they were not blocked all those days Summer 2018. I believe June 20 is the date they are planning on if all goes as planned with construction.

20. DLRExpert

DLRExpert Mouseketeer

May 4th will be Press Preview
    Rest of May and some of June will host Multiple Private Ticketed Events at $500 per person for 3 hours in the new land.
    Officially opens at the end of June for everyone.

ME

mich311e and rentayenta like this.
  21. Nonsuch

Nonsuch DIS Veteran

Some might say that Anaheim deserves to suffer, since Anaheim politics delayed and eventually cancelled the Eastern Gateway (new parking and larger security screening).

HydroGuy and wowsmom like this.