Surprised with a trip to Disneyland California!!

Discussion in 'Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers' started by Courtney (from Memphis), Aug 8, 2018.

?

Do I repeat attractions

Poll closed Sep 5, 2018.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Courtney (from Memphis)

Courtney (from Memphis) Disney girl in the real world

So I did the college program in Orlando twice so I'm pretty knowledgeable about Orlando and all the tips and tricks. What to eat and do. I got surprised with a trip to Disneyland in December and I want advice on what to see what to skip. If it's EXACTLY the same in FL. I don't need to repeat it. I'm huge on walking in Walt's footsteps so anything like that would be awesome. Advice? Oh and I'm doing one day in Disneyland and one day in California adventure, and one day downtown Disney.

BrianL likes this.
  2. indoshakespeare

indoshakespeare Reach out and find your Happily Ever After

Exactly the same:
    Little Mermaid Under Sea Adventures
    Star Tours
    Toy Story Mania

And um...Dumbo, Carrousel, Tea Cup and Astro Orbiter :D

BrianL likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. BrianL

BrianL Doom Buggy Driver

Here's the thing, a lot of the attractions with the same name aren't really the same. Definitely don't skip Pirates of the Caribbean as the DL version is much better and longer. Space Mountain is a totally different ride. The Tiki Room still runs a longer show, plus DL guests appreciate it more and sing along. Haunted Mansion is just a tad different unless it is in holiday mode, but it's worth seeing for Hatbox Ghost alone (he will be in both versions). Big Thunder has some extra effects at the end and is a smoother ride due to the recent track replacement. Splash is a bit different, but shorter and probably not as good as the WDW one. Buzz Lightyear is similar, but you can hold your gun and thus it's a bit of a better experience.

Do not miss the Fantasyland dark rides that are no longer at WDW (and some that never were), Mickey and the Magical Map, Indiana Jones, Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout, and Paint the Night. Those are the highlights in my opinion (aside for the classics already mentioned of course).

Have fun!

imbatman and DaisyDuck001 like this.
  5. BrianL

BrianL Doom Buggy Driver

Hey, Courtney, also, :welcome: to the DIS! I am also a Memphian so it's good to have another local here.

6. Gaugersaurus

Gaugersaurus Mouseketeer

While I can't speak for how similar the rides are I would say it's worth doing every ride you can while you're at DLR. Also Downtown Disney isn't really a full day thing; I would go for another day at the parks if it's within your budget.

7. StageTek

StageTek It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

I agree with Gaugersaurus - if you have three days at DLR DD will take up part of one evening; not a whole day. If you won't be getting a Park Hopper I would suggest two days in Disneyland.

In my opinion the only attractions you can miss would be the three idoshakespeare mentioned and Small World. The ride itself is the same but the show building is much more beautiful. Maybe Peter Pan which is the same as WDW and always a long line and Splash Mountain.

8. Courtney (from Memphis)

Courtney (from Memphis) Disney girl in the real world

I am thinking about doing 3 days park hopper at DLC but I'm also nit sure it's in the budget. Any other areas around there that are Walt disney things to see in Anaheim?

9. BrianL

BrianL Doom Buggy Driver

Here's a more comprehensive comparison I wrote for a previous post. Hope it helps!

DISNEYLAND:

Tiki Room - DL still runs the longer show so if you like this one don't miss it. You can grab a Dole Whip right in the waiting area too!

Jungle Cruise - It's a little shorter at DL and has no temple but otherwise the same.

Pirates of the Caribbean - This one is MUCH better at DL. It's longer and has two drops and more scenes.

Haunted Mansion - It is actually slightly shorter than the MK version and some scenes are a little different. It is worth going on to see the new Hatbox Ghost, who is awesome! Form October through December it will have the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay.

Splash Mountain - You sit in single-file logs at DL and some of the scenes are different, but it's mostly the same.

Winnie the Pooh - It's a little different but not a lot. The cars are bee hives but still do the bouncing thing.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - This is basically the same with some recently added projections in the last cave. They are really cool so this may be worth a go if the line is short.

Fantasyland Dark Rides - So DL still has all the classics here: Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Alice in Wonderland. Peter Pan is a bit shorter and not quite as good as the MK one so if you are skipping one, this is it.

It's A Small World - It's quite similar, but there are some Disney characters interspersed into the scenes. Do check out the outdoor facade though as it is much cooler than the MK one and they do projections on it at night.

Matterhorn - What? That's not at MK? No, but it kind of is. It is the basis for Space Mountain at MK, so the ride vehicles and track are similar, and it's the same bumpy ride. It's worth doing though.

Gadget's Go Coaster - This is basically exactly like the Barnstormer.

Space Mountain - The DL version is TOTALLY different! It's generally regarded as better, but it's a matter of taste. You sit side-by-side on this one.

Autopia - Longer than the Tomorrowland Speedway, but that's about it.

Star Tours - This is exactly the same except that it has two fewer simulators so expect longer waits.

Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters - Buzz is similar but a little better because you can hold your gun as opposed to it being attached to a pivot. It's a little easier to play that way.

Fantasmic! - The DL show has been "improved" with new scenes and effects. I used quotes around improved because when I finally saw it I think they kind of downgraded the music and I no longer enjoy it more than the HS version.

CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE

Soarin' - This is identical to the Epcot counterpart but with only two theaters. The line is never as long at CA though.

Grizzly River Rapids - This is like a longer, wetter version of Kali River Rapids. It really is much longer though and more worth the wait. You actually dry off quicker in the warm California sun more than the hot but too humid Orlando climate.

Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout - Well, this was the Tower of Terror, which was actually different than the WDW version. It's similar but the cars do not move through the scenery. The new theme makes it a very different ride.

It's Tough to be a Bug - This is the same show unless it is running a movie preview, which you should also avoid.

Radiator Springs Racers - This is like a bigger, longer version of Test Track, but don't think that means you can miss it. This is top-notch!

Under the Sea - This has a very different looking exterior, but the ride is identical in every way.

Toy Story Mania - This is the same thing, just with an outdoor queue.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    imbatman, DaisyDuck001 and Derry Wade like this.
  10. imbatman

imbatman Mouseketeer

These two! I pay for the MaxPass and hit them every time I can. The NBC overlay is fabulous!