Which name is your favourite?

• Robert

• Peter

• Roderick (Rory)

• Ewan

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alysa

DIS Veteran
It's been a heck of a year. My husband and I are the parents of two adorable kids, a nine year old girl and a six year old boy. We were not, not, NOT expecting an addition to our family. We had our life all planned out, my husband would be getting a new job as a cancer research scientist soon, hopefully with tenure. I would start back to work as a designer this fall once our son started grade one. We had booked a nice relaxing trip to Disney to try to recover from a very difficult and emotional time. My husband's mum just passed away from breast cancer at the beginning of the year and my mum is very sick with liver cancer. I was looking forward to doing the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10 mile marathon in my mum's name.
Then, life stepped in. It seems that someone had other plans for us.

At first I thought I was just late. I thought the stress of everything had upset things. Then I began to worry. I got a test. At first when I did it there was nothing. I heaved a HUGE sigh of relief. I was too old for a baby. I was almost 40! And then, "Wait a minute! What is THAT! Arg! It's turning into an X!"

So, my husband does not yet have his job confirmed. I'm nearly 40 so the baby has a much higher chance of genetic defects. I'll no longer be able to return to work as I had planned. We are already cramped in a tiny condo, waiting to move until we know for certain where we will end up. We are under a great deal of emotional stress. And yet, after a weekend of a lot of talking, prayers and tears, I felt like this could be, instead of something terrible, in fact, the complete opposite. It could be something wonderful. This could be the light at the end of a dreadful long tunnel. I feel now that this little person will be a blessing and a joy to all of us in a time of terrible sadness.

I couldn't cancel my trip to Disney outright. I knew I did not want to travel while pregnant as I had once had a miscarriage while flying. But with all this stress, I needed SOMETHING fun and happy and exciting to look forward to. And what could be better than a trip to introduce our new bundle of joy to the happiest place on earth. So we haven't booked it yet but we have planned to go next summer. 5 days at Vero Beach and 7 days at Wilderness Lodge. Our two most favourite places at Disney. In 480 days I will hopefully be holding the hands of a little one as he or she toddles down Mainstreet USA towards breakfast at the Crystal Palace with Pooh.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you'll enjoy the ride. Sit back and find out with us as we discover: Is the baby healthy? Is it a boy or a girl? Where will my husband get his job and what city will we be moving to? What will the kids say when we tell them? What will our family say? Will 3 be the joy we hope and believe they will be? And most importantly, will the new baby love Disney just as much as we do? (Kidding!)
:goodvibes

Congratulations! :grouphug:

You're not too old to have a baby. You know everything happens for a reason. Now you get to plan for a baby and his or her first trip to Disney! It'll be a great distraction from everything else that's going on around you. Can't wait to hear more!

Hi!:wave2: I am here too...and not too far from you either...just down the 401! It sounds like you have been through a lot lately...but congratulations! We have three....lots of love thats for sure! It sounds like a wonderful trip you are planning...I'll follow along!:goodvibes

Hi MinnieLovesMickey, kaileighbug, jennyjinx3 - thanks for the words of encouragement. I admit, I thought I would hear a lot of "Whoa, your having a WHAT?!? NOW?!?! Are you CRAZY?!?"
:grouphug:

Here is a link to our latest trip video so you can see who we are. I usually don't do trip reports. Instead I do these little movies that I send out to our family. There is a lot of Vero in there. Forget DVC, Vero is really Disney's best kept secret. If you have never been you should check it out. The kids always say it is the best part of our vacations.

Wow, what a beautiful family you have...and another addition coming? How nice!! Thanks for sharing those videos with us. :goodvibes Looks like you guys have enjoyed lots of family vacations together! We started taking big vacations in 2010, after coming out of lots of baby years! But if I had known then how easy it was to travel with the little one, we would've done it sooner. The only thing holding us back was ourselves! Good for you for not cancelling your trip, just modifying it!:thumbsup2

Thanks jennyjinx3 :goodvibes I remember how crazy everyone thought we were when we took our daughter to Disney, saying she was too young. I was so nervous before we went but so glad we had done it once we got home.

Hi daisy_77! Hey, you and I are both pregnant at the same time - how nice! Congrats!

My sister was born late into our family too. She is 5 years younger than me and my best friend. My parents joke that she was the best surprise they ever had. So I knew even before telling her what her feelings would be, And I was right. To say she was thrilled and excited would be an understatement. I swore her to secrecy because I want to make sure the baby is healthy before I tell anyone else. She calls me daily asking me how her niece is (she is certain it is going to be a girl). She is so excited that wants to come with us on the trip!

She had three kids of her own that I adore. A 14 year old computer whiz, a 9 year old hockey player, and a 6 year old princess. I love them to bits and am so thrilled that they are coming. My kids love them like brothers and sisters. We have shared 5 family trips with them and my parents before (thanks DVC), and every trip has been fantastic and full of fun memories. My little niece is particularly baby crazy and I know that she is going to be over the moon when she finds out.

Of course, once we decided that they would be joining us, I knew we would have to add on a visit to Universal for my nephew who loves thrill rides. We've never been before but my kids and I are all big Harry Potter fans. I have been letting the kids each read a book a year so my son has done the Philosopher's Stone and my daughter has finished the Prisoner of Azkaban. I can't wait to see Hogwarts. I don't know if there will be that much to do there, I imagine my kids will be too little to ride most things still, but it will be wonderful to see it all the same.

We were considering staying at Portofino Bay at Universal which looks beautiful but then I found out that they had recently had a bed bug infestation and I was so horrified that even though I am sure it is fine now, I can't bring myself to go. So we are going to get a rental car and do a day trip from Wilderness Lodge. My sister is a shopper anyway and likes the idea of a car so she can go visit the outlets.

I know we will have to go for lunch at the three broomsticks. Their vegetarian options look quite disappointing but I'll have to make myself content with Salad, Butterbeer and Strawberry & Peanut Butter Ice cream. The salad will cancel out the ice cream, right?

I don't know anything about Universal so if any of you have any tips or advice for me, I'd be very grateful!

478 days!

Brave comes out next month and my kids and I are so excited to see it! I saw that the Disney Store has started to carry Merida dolls. Many of the trips we've gone on, I've gotten my daughter a new Disney doll, usually waiting in the room for her when we arrive. Her first was Snow White, looks like this trip will be Merida (but why is it so far away?! 477 days!)

Now I just have to think of something good for my son and the new little one. My son loves star wars lego so maybe something in the new line this year will catch my eye.

I feel superstitious about shopping or buying gifts for the little one until my doctor says everything is okay. It was a wrench not getting this adorable bunny yet at Easter.

So I was searching for a small gift idea for my son for the room when we arrive and found this
star wars lego
which I know he would love. I also found this which is totally amazing but it's a little out of balance with his sister's gift.
death star

AND! While searching, I found these for the baby.
R2-D2
and this!
Stormy
(10 points if you get the reference) and this!
but red shirts are BAD
Just going to hold off on buying them a little while longer.
It's true, we are geeks. We love Star Wars, Firefly and Star Trek. I do love Jane Austen best but I have been adopted into my geek family quite nicely and I adore Doctor Who.

Cool Death Star! Dh would love that...hmmmmm maybe for his 40th? LOL! I saw the Meridia dresses on Disneystore.com and my DD's were oohing and aahing all over the place! Maybe for the halloween party! BTW how are you feeling??:)

Brave comes out next month and my kids and I are so excited to see it! I saw that the Disney Store has started to carry Merida dolls. Many of the trips we've gone on, I've gotten my daughter a new Disney doll, usually waiting in the room for her when we arrive. Her first was Snow White, looks like this trip will be Merida (but why is it so far away?! 477 days!)

Now I just have to think of something good for my son and the new little one. My son loves star wars lego so maybe something in the new line this year will catch my eye.

I feel superstitious about shopping or buying gifts for the little one until my doctor says everything is okay. It was a wrench not getting this adorable bunny yet at Easter.

That bunny is sooo cute! Looks super soft too!

Cool Death Star! Dh would love that...hmmmmm maybe for his 40th? LOL! I saw the Meridia dresses on Disneystore.com and my DD's were oohing and aahing all over the place! Maybe for the halloween party! BTW how are you feeling??

Who are we kidding, our DH's love the star wars lego as much as the kids! ;)
My husband rejoices frequently that he ended up with a little fan boy.

Those dresses are lovely, aren't they? I think my girl will probably choose her for Halloween as well. Great minds think alike!

Eek! Have you seen these super cute snacks they are serving for Star Wars weekend?
Star Wars weekend treats
I so wish we were going. Maybe 2014. :) With a toddler! "Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?"

Who are we kidding, our DH's love the star wars lego as much as the kids! ;)
My husband rejoices frequently that he ended up with a little fan boy.

Those dresses are lovely, aren't they? I think my girl will probably choose her for Halloween as well. Great minds think alike!

I'm in the same boat there. DH is adament about getting that huge
Millenium Falcon set.:rotfl2:

P.S. I love your new PTR title, very cute.

Ooo - did you mean this millenium falcon?
:rolleyes1
382781_10150454701081892_714891891_9047209_466670060_n.jpg

It wasn't me - Santa brought it!

Yes, I think my DH would love a gift like that. Star Wars weekends is definetly on our bucket list, maybe adults only one day...who knows!

Just saw you had a PTR, so thought I'd join in!

Wow, your family has been through a lot. I hope everything goes well for you in the pregnancy and that bringing your new little addition to WDW is magical!

I have to show DH all your "geek" stuff! :rotfl: He'll love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter