Surface wipes that are EPA approved to kill Norovirus; available at Staples.com

twodogs

DIS Veteran
I know there have been a lot of posts about what will actually kill Norovirus, so I thought I would contribute what I have learned in anticipation of our trip next month. As a physician, I consult with my most trusted sources when I have questions like this, so I checked the CDC's website (Centers for Disease Control). They reference a list of EPA-approved products that kill Norovirus (these are surface products, not for hands). http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/preventing-infection.html

Here is the direct link to the EPA's list which is referenced on the CDC's page:
http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/list_g_norovirus.pdf

I was able to find the Oxivir wipes and spray at www.staples.com (though not in my store, it is available online):
http://www.staples.com/oxivir/directory_oxivir

I was unable to find easy sources for many of the other approved products, even on the sites I am able to order from as a physician.

I know there is controversy on this forum about wiping down surfaces or not for Norovirus, and I will not add my opinion here. However, if you are one that wants to wipe down your room/bathroom at the resort, you could consider these wipes as an option. Notably, many of the wipes I have read about online (and in this forum) such as certain Wet Ones, some Clorox wipes, etc that have been thought to kill Norovirus are NOT on this approved list. Bleach solutions that are 5.25% bleach are also listed on the CDC's site as approved to kill Norovirus, but as others have said, it would be difficult to travel with bleach, and it may harm some of the soft goods in the room or your own clothes/luggage, etc. Regular Clorox wipes at my stores actually contain no bleach at all, so would not meet the CDC's requirements to kill Norovirus.

Here's to an illness-free trip for everyone!

Thanks. Just ordered from ebay as well. $12 with free shipping.....
now...that's a big tub....and we are flying and probably will just need for the plane and hotel room. So.....maybe pack some in zip lock baggies? Seems stupid to bring 160 of them???

I know there have been a lot of posts about what will actually kill Norovirus, so I thought I would contribute what I have learned in anticipation of our trip next month. As a physician, I consult with my most trusted sources when I have questions like this, so I checked the CDC's website (Centers for Disease Control). They reference a list of EPA-approved products that kill Norovirus (these are surface products, not for hands). http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/preventing-infection.html

Here is the direct link to the EPA's list which is referenced on the CDC's page:
http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/list_g_norovirus.pdf

I was able to find the Oxivir wipes and spray at www.staples.com (though not in my store, it is available online):
http://www.staples.com/oxivir/directory_oxivir

I was unable to find easy sources for many of the other approved products, even on the sites I am able to order from as a physician.

I know there is controversy on this forum about wiping down surfaces or not for Norovirus, and I will not add my opinion here. However, if you are one that wants to wipe down your room/bathroom at the resort, you could consider these wipes as an option. Notably, many of the wipes I have read about online (and in this forum) such as certain Wet Ones, some Clorox wipes, etc that have been thought to kill Norovirus are NOT on this approved list. Bleach solutions that are 5.25% bleach are also listed on the CDC's site as approved to kill Norovirus, but as others have said, it would be difficult to travel with bleach, and it may harm some of the soft goods in the room or your own clothes/luggage, etc. Regular Clorox wipes at my stores actually contain no bleach at all, so would not meet the CDC's requirements to kill Norovirus.

Here's to an illness-free trip for everyone!

And I'd assume it would kill strep, flu, cold virus and other fun things right??

Thanks for the info! I've never had any issues with sickness at WDW, but the more I read about people getting sick, the more I worry that it just means I'm overdue!

Forgot to mention free shipping on Staples if you join their free rewards program.

To answer OP about what else it kills, here is the data from the Oxivir wipes site:

Bactericidal and Virucidal in one minute, kills HBV, HCV, HIV-1 (AIDS virus) in one minute, Tuberculocidal in five minutes and kills fungi in ten minutes
Can be used to clean most hard, nonporous environmental surfaces with confidence
No VOC’s, no added fragrance, no NPE’s
Non-irritating to skin and eyes and contains no substances which at the given concentration, are considered to be hazardous to health per OSHA standards
Patented technology contains a high performance surfactant system that delivers faster and better cleaning results
The active ingredient breaks down to water and oxygen
Disinfectant Claims (Contact Time)
Fungicidal
Fungicidal (10 min.)
Hepatitis B (1 min.)
Hepatitis C (1 min.)
HIV (1 min.)
Hospital Grade
Influenza A (1 min.)
MRSA (1 min.)
Norwalk / Norovirus (1 min.)
Virucidal
VRE (1 min.)

I work in a hospital and in our medication room we have two kinds of wipes. One is just a giant tub of regular cleaning wipes. The other is a little smaller (75 extra large wipes) that are PIDI Sani-Cloth Bleach Germicidal Disposable wipes. On the front it says 'Bactericidal, Fungicidal, Tuberculocidal, and Virucidal in 4 minutes. On the instructions it has instructions for leaving it on for different lengths of times depending on the surface and what you want to kill, ranging from one minute to four minutes. It says Kills pathogenic organisms including Bacteria (then lists alot of bacterias), Multi-Drug Resistant Bacteria (then lists alot of those including MRSAs), Bloodborn Pathagens (lists Hep B, Hep C, HIV and a couple more), Viruses (flu, Hep A, Norovirus, and Rinovirus), TB, and Pathogenic Fungi.

It apparently kills alot of stuff, but also warns you to use on hard surfaces only and to be sure and wear gloves when using. It smells very strongly of bleach.

I am one of the pro bleach users. I make my own to travel with, i make these the day of travel or the night before. I spray full strength Clorox onto a heavy duty paper towel and immediately put on a zip lock bag. i do not let these air dry. When we arrive I remove the towels and dampen a bit and start my wipe down of the room.

I love the info you posted and like the idea of purchasing wipes to travel with that are already concentrated enough to be used against such common sicknesses. Thank you for your research!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I am one of the pro bleach users. I make my own to travel with, i make these the day of travel or the night before. I spray full strength Clorox onto a heavy duty paper towel and immediately put on a zip lock bag. i do not let these air dry. When we arrive I remove the towels and dampen a bit and start my wipe down of the room.

I love the info you posted and like the idea of purchasing wipes to travel with that are already concentrated enough to be used against such common sicknesses. Thank you for your research!!!

Good idea!!!! This would have been a lot cheaper but I already ordered-oh well! next time!

Those sound terrific. But, in all reality?? Aren't you really better off making constant runs to the restrooms to wash those hands, while in the parks?? That's where I figure I'm going to be picking up the most germs...on railings and handles and such in the parks!!! Have you ever watched kids in a line at an attraction???? Very yucky stuff is going onto those railings and handles!!!!:crazy2:
So, don't forget to add hand washing to your day in addition to that room sanitizing!!

Those sound terrific. But, in all reality?? Aren't you really better off making constant runs to the restrooms to wash those hands, while in the parks?? That's where I figure I'm going to be picking up the most germs...on railings and handles and such in the parks!!! Have you ever watched kids in a line at an attraction???? Very yucky stuff is going onto those railings and handles!!!!:crazy2:
So, don't forget to add hand washing to your day in addition to that room sanitizing!!

:thumbsup2

Best thing mentioned. Before eating, actual washing of hands (not just hand sanitizers) the old fashioned way with soap and water. Also, keep things out of your mouth... a lot of people don't even think about it. You have your hands full and use your mouth as a third hand. Much more likely to spread through touching common areas and not washing, than a contaminated room.

Why not just enjoy your vacation and not worry about it.:confused3
Why? Because WDW is one big petrie dish during the winter months!!! While I don't always agree with the whole 'sanitizing my room' practice, I do make it a point to wash my hands, thoroughly, before sitting down to eat. I make it a point to wash them more often than I normally would at home. There are a lot of bugs being shared in WDW...happens anytime you get that many people traveling from all around the world all congregating in one place.
So, why not take an ounce of prevention? It takes just a few minutes to stay healthy. Believe me...I completely enjoy my vacations at WDW and seldom give germs more than a moment's thought!

We do constantly wash our hands and we don't use hand sanitizer. I actually do take a wipe to the parks with us and wipe the surface down where we eat. Done pretty good in life, outside of allergies, none of us have ever been real sick. Have taught everyone since birth , DD-16 and DS-21, to never use their palms if they don't have to and to sneeze or cough in elbows. I work in a school and your right what people can do is down right nasty.

Great point about the parks and the germs just aren't in. The parks. I am not a germaphobe just aware of my surroundings and what could be there.

Why? Because WDW is one big petrie dish during the winter months!!! While I don't always agree with the whole 'sanitizing my room' practice, I do make it a point to wash my hands, thoroughly, before sitting down to eat. I make it a point to wash them more often than I normally would at home. There are a lot of bugs being shared in WDW...happens anytime you get that many people traveling from all around the world all congregating in one place.
So, why not take an ounce of prevention? It takes just a few minutes to stay healthy. Believe me...I completely enjoy my vacations at WDW and seldom give germs more than a moment's thought!

I would assume most people wash their hands and practice good hygiene. The whole sanitizing the room thing is a bit OCD to me. Chlorine and bleach(basically the same thing) are actually one of the worst things for your immune system). I think hand washing is a good thing, but their are a lot of germaphobs out there that take things to the extreme. I'm not sure why people assume absorbing and inhaling chemicals is good for them. Just my opinion.

Make sure they are antiviral and not alcohol wipes, which won't kill norovirus.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered some from ebay :)

Thanks. Just ordered from ebay as well. $12 with free shipping.....
now...that's a big tub....and we are flying and probably will just need for the plane and hotel room. So.....maybe pack some in zip lock baggies? Seems stupid to bring 160 of them???

Me too! Me too!:cool1: I will likely be putting some into a few ziplocks as well! ::yes:: Thanks for doing the research!!!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter