Sunshine, food and fun...a perfect March Break adventure! A March '22 trip report! Back from PEI 08/09

Wise woman! You did pretty good with your $100 👍
There was so much more I could have purchased but I am happy with what I got. :)
Holy smokes! Tons!
When we had a DISmeet here in Winnipeg, I think there was maybe a dozen people.
This is a big event as it is connected with the Canadian pin traders group. Do you collect and/or trade pins? I have a few collections (Haunted Mansion, Orange Bird, Alice, Tink etc) as well as a trip board where I have all the resort pins from trips we have taken organized by year, as well any special events we did.
Aug 15-23
89 days... not that I'm counting. :rolleyes1
92 days here! I arrive on the 21st. :) Hopefully we can meet up!
I hadn't even thought of MNSSHP. I mean... Halloween in August?
(But now I have to check!)
Tickets are a little spendy this year ($109USD + tax = $155 CDN) but I couldn't resist.
Who you get in the ship with you really makes the ride.

Sounded like a great afternoon! We didn't get to go Baseline this trip. And I was kind of sad about ti. It just didn't work out. But your visit sounded perfect.
It really was the perfect way to start an afternoon at HS. :)

Interrupting this TR for a summer trip update!

I am heading back to the happy place this summer for a long overdue solo trip! While I love making memories with my sons and DH, there is nothing like a restorative week in your favourite place where you can do exactly what you please.

My dates are August 21st through the 28th and I am hoping for a couple of Dismeets as I overlap with @pkondz and @disneyAndi14. Originally I was doing a Poly/AKL split which I was thrilled about. Then the announcement came that the Grand Floridian would be converting the Big Pine Key building into DVC resort studios. I was intrigued.....we stayed at the GF in that building on our very first trip back in 2009. I saw the concept art for the resort studios with the subtle Mary Poppins theming and fell in love. Last Friday, bookings became available for all DVC members and I snagged a standard view resort studio for the first three nights of my trip.
1653140461187.png
https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2022...oms-coming-to-disneys-grand-floridian-resort/

I am very excited to try out one of these beautiful studios.:goodvibes

At AKL, I have booked a standard view deluxe studio at Jambo house. I will request zebra trail for my room location as I have found most studios there have a partial savannah view.

My ADR booking window opens June 21st and I am thinking of the following;
~ dinner at Citricos
~ brunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe
~ lunch at Hollywood Brown Derby
~ dinner at Sanaa
~ breakfast at Boma

Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party is coming back this year which I am thrilled about! I have tickets purchased for the 23rd and am thinking of doing a Tinkerbell Disneybound. Something along one of these ideas.....
1653141177380.png
As well, it is Food and Wine festival at Epcot! I am so excited for this. :)

My big decision is around tickets.....I've always done hoppers but am considering one park per day instead. I am thinking of only 4 park days but then worry I will want more. Here are the prices for the various options...

4 day/1 park per day ~ $422.88
4 day hopper ~ $507.88
8 day/1 park per day ~ $507.60
8 day hopper ~ $592.60

What would you do? All advice most welcome!

Ok I am likely the wrong person to ask but if it was me on a solo trip I’d spring for the 8 day/ 1 park per day ticket and then if I really wanted to hop when I was there I’d add it on at that stage if that’s possible. That way you aren’t wasting money if you don’t feel the need to hop. Mind you with that logic maybe go with the cheapest ticket and budget for changing it while on your trip if you feel the need. See told you I was hopeless 🤣

I am heading back to the happy place this summer for a long overdue solo trip!
Yay for you having a solo trip! I don't know what I would do on a solo trip. I can't even imagine....nor would I want to at this point.
I am hoping for a couple of Dismeets
Dismeets always make a trip more fun!
~ dinner at Citricos
I've been wanting to go back there for a few years.
~ brunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe
I love breakfast/brunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe!
~ lunch at Hollywood Brown Derby
We just did this on our February trip and it was great!
~ dinner at Sanaa
I love eating there, haven't been in years though!
~ breakfast at Boma
I'm sure you will love it, everyone raves about Boma. We were only so so on it. I think Fran didn't care for the African spices in some of the dishes. She's more of a 1900 Park Fare kind of gal, but that hasn't reopened yet.
Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party is coming back this year
Was there not an MNSSHP last year? That's odd that the Oogie Boogie Bash was in California, but that Florida didn't have a party. You'd think that they would be reopening everything faster.
4 day/1 park per day ~ $422.88
4 day hopper ~ $507.88
8 day/1 park per day ~ $507.60
8 day hopper ~ $592.60

What would you do?
I'm the wrong one to ask being that I have a both parks AP and don't like the idea of not being able to go into a park if I want to. If it were me personally making the choice for myself, I would not get passes on the travel days. As I mentioned previously it takes all day to get to Disney, and it's usually late by the time I arrive. Same going home. Rarely do we have a late afternoon flight home so no park on the last day.

That being said, the only pass that saves you substantial money is the 4 day/1 park per day. Otherwise, all the other passes are within less than $100 of each other. To me it's worth $100 to be able to go to the parks every day that I want to, and not be limited to a single park each day. I may not do a lot of hopping, but I like the option.

Yay for planning a summer trip!
I’m still tweaking mine some and may change the dates some. I will let you know!
The studios at GF have two queen beds? Wow that is awesome, I will have to keep that in mind for Andi and I. We gave up staying at most studio DVC because of the sofa beds. I like the Murphy beds in some now but that would be awesome to have the 2 beds!
I would say the 8 day park hopper myself, lol! You may want to visit Epcot some week night evenings for F&W. The price difference sure isn’t much!
I’m surprised how much the 4 day one park is!
@franandaj had a good idea to maybe do a 6 day PH but if the difference is nominal I would do the 8 days.

Ok I am likely the wrong person to ask but if it was me on a solo trip I’d spring for the 8 day/ 1 park per day ticket and then if I really wanted to hop when I was there I’d add it on at that stage if that’s possible. That way you aren’t wasting money if you don’t feel the need to hop. Mind you with that logic maybe go with the cheapest ticket and budget for changing it while on your trip if you feel the need. See told you I was hopeless 🤣
You sound exactly like me, lol!
Yay for you having a solo trip! I don't know what I would do on a solo trip. I can't even imagine....nor would I want to at this point.
I never thought I would be a solo trip person. Then when I turned 50 Bill gave me a 4 night/5 day trip for my present. I loved it! This upcoming trip will be my 6th solo trip. :)
I've been wanting to go back there for a few years.
I love the reimagining with the Mary Poppins theming.
We just did this on our February trip and it was great!
I love the Cobb salad there! And the rolls......yum!
I'm sure you will love it, everyone raves about Boma. We were only so so on it. I think Fran didn't care for the African spices in some of the dishes. She's more of a 1900 Park Fare kind of gal, but that hasn't reopened yet.
I have done breakfast at Boma twice before and really enjoyed it. There is so much choice!
Was there not an MNSSHP last year? That's odd that the Oogie Boogie Bash was in California, but that Florida didn't have a party. You'd think that they would be reopening everything faster.
Last year they had an after hours event called "Boo Bash."
That being said, the only pass that saves you substantial money is the 4 day/1 park per day. Otherwise, all the other passes are within less than $100 of each other. To me it's worth $100 to be able to go to the parks every day that I want to, and not be limited to a single park each day. I may not do a lot of hopping, but I like the option.
That's kind of where I am at. I don't want to feel limited.
The studios at GF have two queen beds? Wow that is awesome, I will have to keep that in mind for Andi and I. We gave up staying at most studio DVC because of the sofa beds. I like the Murphy beds in some now but that would be awesome to have the 2 beds!
The only studios at the GF with two beds are the new resort studios in the Big Pine Key building. The deluxe studios in the original DVC building are the queen/Murphy bed combo. The thing you need to be aware of with the resort studios is there is no toaster or microwave either. Not a deal breaker for me but some people really care about that.
I’m still tweaking mine some and may change the dates some. I will let you know!
I hope we still overlap!
I would say the 8 day park hopper myself, lol! You may want to visit Epcot some week night evenings for F&W. The price difference sure isn’t much!
I am leaning towards that. I have an early flight in, landing at 9:45 am. Then departure day my flight is not until 7:30 at night.

You sound exactly like me, lol!
:rotfl::rotfl:
I never thought I would be a solo trip person. Then when I turned 50 Bill gave me a 4 night/5 day trip for my present. I loved it!
I think I’d love a solo trip. It’s not likely to happen anytime soon due to flight costs but I have been known to take myself off for half a day or so while we are in our family trips (usually 14 sometimes more days) and I love it. Doing what I fancy and eating where I like. Definitely do things differently on my own and find it a great way to recharge myself.

Ok I lost my last quote but given your early arrival and later departure you are definitely going to want to be in the parks those days. I love heading into to Epcot on our last day for a final walk around world showcase, stopping shopping the way for a drink and a bite to eat. Gotta squeeze every last bit of magic from a trip :goodvibes

I am very excited to try out one of these beautiful studios
I really like the layout of the studios in Big Pine Key. We stayed in that building several years ago and found it to be a great location. I like that the DVC BPK studios have two queen beds. I normally don't like studios that have only one queen, but I would stay in this one.

I think I’d love a solo trip. It’s not likely to happen anytime soon due to flight costs but I have been known to take myself off for half a day or so while we are in our family trips (usually 14 sometimes more days) and I love it. Doing what I fancy and eating where I like. Definitely do things differently on my own and find it a great way to recharge myself.
It is an experience like no other. Maybe on your next family trip, you can fly out a few days ahead of everyone else and enjoy a few solo days before everyone else arrives. Best of both worlds!
Ok I lost my last quote but given your early arrival and later departure you are definitely going to want to be in the parks those days. I love heading into to Epcot on our last day for a final walk around world showcase, stopping shopping the way for a drink and a bite to eat. Gotta squeeze every last bit of magic from a trip :goodvibes
That's what i am thinking. I love down time and relaxing but enjoying a lovely park morning before heading out will be perfect!
I really like the layout of the studios in Big Pine Key. We stayed in that building several years ago and found it to be a great location. I like that the DVC BPK studios have two queen beds. I normally don't like studios that have only one queen, but I would stay in this one.
I just love the theming...so pretty and elegant!

Yeah for a Solo Trip. I really enjoyed mine last month. The new rooms at GF sound so nice, I love me some Mary Poppins.

Great meal choices.

You'll make the perfect Tink.

Ticket choices are very hard, I've gotten spoiled having an AP. It would be real hard for me to give up the freedom of hopping and limiting my days. I will say in the past we had trips where we hopped and trips where we didn't. I've also paid for hopping and didn't.

there is nothing like a restorative week in your favourite place where you can do exactly what you please.
This sounds amazing...a whole week of whatever YOU want to do!! I've done three days but a whole week would be heavenly...especially with a few DisMeets thrown in.
My dates are August 21st through the 28th and I am hoping for a couple of Dismeets as I overlap with @pkondz and @disneyAndi14.
OH amazing!! I want pics!!
Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party is coming back this year which I am thrilled about! I have tickets purchased for the 23rd and am thinking of doing a Tinkerbell Disneybound. Something along one of these ideas.....
Love this!! I think those parties are so much fun!!
What would you do? All advice most welcome!
This is such a tough call. My thinking on this - it's tough because Disney knows exactly how to make the math make sense lol...for a difference of approx $86 (or less than $11 per day on an 8 day ticket...) you get to hop and go to parks every day...they really know how to get you because since you were gonna do 4 days anyway...the incremental cost for each day you add goes down...so of course it makes sense to do it...I say get the 8 day hopper - because you want this trip to be about doing exactly what YOU want to do, when you want to do it. Feel like hopping? Go for it. Feel like going to a park for just an hour or two? Do it. And as long as you spend the equivalent of at least 4-5 full days in the parks, to me it seems like you are getting your money's worth, and a lot more flexibility.

This is a big event as it is connected with the Canadian pin traders group.
Huh! Sounds like a blast. :)
Do you collect and/or trade pins?
Nope. Only my Harley poker chips.
I have a few collections (Haunted Mansion, Orange Bird, Alice, Tink etc) as well as a trip board where I have all the resort pins from trips we have taken organized by year, as well any special events we did.
Oh, that's cool! I like!
92 days here! I arrive on the 21st. :) Hopefully we can meet up!
We'll have to see what we can do. I'll PM you with where we'll be once I finalize a bit more.
Tickets are a little spendy this year ($109USD + tax = $155 CDN) but I couldn't resist.
We're going too. I can't resist a MNSSHP!
My dates are August 21st through the 28th and I am hoping for a couple of Dismeets as I overlap with @pkondz and @disneyAndi14.
::yes::
My big decision is around tickets.....I've always done hoppers but am considering one park per day instead.
I've done both hoppers and non. TBH, while I paid for the hoppers for our upcoming trip, we may not actually use them. I've done single park only tix and not regretted it.

Hooray for a Disney trips on the horizon! A solo trip sounds so restorative and relaxing. There's something to be said about not having to confer with anyone else on where you want to eat/what you want to do.

Originally, I was going to say that with the way the parks and Genie is set up now, the ideal time to go into the parks is the afternoon/evening so you might not need a hopper. But, other pointed out that as a solo visitor, bouncing between places will be quite easy. I guess it all depends on how many times you think you'll take advantage of the perk. If it's enough to make the cost worth it, then I say go for it.

So jealous of your solo trip. I don't think Andy would like it if I went without him. The only issue with having a DH that likes Disney as much as you.

I've always done hoppers but am considering one park per day instead. I am thinking of only 4 park days but then worry I will want more. Here are the prices for the various options...
I really have a love hate relationship with park hopping. I will say, I think Genie+ works better if you just stay in one park.

But being solo, it would give you the freedom to just do whatever YOU want.

Yeah for a Solo Trip. I really enjoyed mine last month. The new rooms at GF sound so nice, I love me some Mary Poppins.
I love Mary Poppins too...can't wait to see the new rooms in person!
Ticket choices are very hard, I've gotten spoiled having an AP. It would be real hard for me to give up the freedom of hopping and limiting my days. I will say in the past we had trips where we hopped and trips where we didn't. I've also paid for hopping and didn't.
That's what I am thinking. I really miss my AP days and hope they will bring them back sooner than later.
You'll make the perfect Tink.
Aww, thank you!
This sounds amazing...a whole week of whatever YOU want to do!! I've done three days but a whole week would be heavenly...especially with a few DisMeets thrown in.
I am so ready for this trip! Not that I want to wish the summer away but it is going to be so much fun!
Love this!! I think those parties are so much fun!!
Me too!
This is such a tough call. My thinking on this - it's tough because Disney knows exactly how to make the math make sense lol...for a difference of approx $86 (or less than $11 per day on an 8 day ticket...) you get to hop and go to parks every day...they really know how to get you because since you were gonna do 4 days anyway...the incremental cost for each day you add goes down...so of course it makes sense to do it...I say get the 8 day hopper - because you want this trip to be about doing exactly what YOU want to do, when you want to do it. Feel like hopping? Go for it. Feel like going to a park for just an hour or two? Do it. And as long as you spend the equivalent of at least 4-5 full days in the parks, to me it seems like you are getting your money's worth, and a lot more flexibility.
This! You put exactly what I was thinking into words!
Oh, that's cool! I like!
It's such a fun memory board to have.
We'll have to see what we can do. I'll PM you with where we'll be once I finalize a bit more.
Sounds good!
We're going too. I can't resist a MNSSHP!
Awesome! Any costume ideas yet?
Hooray for a Disney trips on the horizon! A solo trip sounds so restorative and relaxing. There's something to be said about not having to confer with anyone else on where you want to eat/what you want to do.
Right???? It's been almost 4 years since my last summer solo trip so I am definitely ready!
Originally, I was going to say that with the way the parks and Genie is set up now, the ideal time to go into the parks is the afternoon/evening so you might not need a hopper. But, other pointed out that as a solo visitor, bouncing between places will be quite easy. I guess it all depends on how many times you think you'll take advantage of the perk. If it's enough to make the cost worth it, then I say go for it.
I know....I was thinking of that too. But then I have FOMO...what if I change my mind and want to go back to another park.
So jealous of your solo trip. I don't think Andy would like it if I went without him. The only issue with having a DH that likes Disney as much as you.
Bill really likes Disney too but he cannot go multiple times in one year. He's not a parks every day guy either so our trips together are very different.
I really have a love hate relationship with park hopping. I will say, I think Genie+ works better if you just stay in one park.
I think you're right.
But being solo, it would give you the freedom to just do whatever YOU want.
Yes! That sounds really good right about now. :)

Resort relaxing by day, monorail bar hopping by night!

We started off our day by taking a relaxing stroll around the resort. We just loved the calm and peaceful feel of the resort and especially liked all the lush landscaping. It really is a world away from the parks. After walking for a while we decided to check out Goods Food to Go for some breakfast. We split a delicious fruit danish and the bounty platter which was more than enough for the two of us.
IMG_0347.jpeg

Nothing better than a Disney Danish!
IMG_0348.jpeg
The bounty platter was served with Eggs, Bacon, Potatoes and a Mickey-shaped Waffle. The potatoes were the ultra decadent breakfast potatoes from Olivias and were so, so good! Our total for breakfast was just over $17 and was delicious!

After breakfast we continued our walk around the resort. Such a beautiful day!
IMG_0349.jpeg
Arriving back at the room we decided to make another pot of coffee and move out to the balcony with our books. We enjoyed our leftovers from Morimoto for lunch and just relaxed for a bit. Then we felt the lure of the pool calling us...it was such a beautiful day after all. :)
IMG_0350.jpeg
We ended up making friends with a lovely couple, Jessica and Jason, from Indiana and another couple from Long Island. We had brought some beers down in our pool bag and treated ourselves to a drink from the pool bar as well. Could you ask for a better afternoon??
IMG_0351.jpeg
Around 4:00 we realized that we better pack up and get ready for our evening plans.

And what were we doing? Well it was St Patrick's day and we thought the perfect way to celebrate would be by doing a monorail bar crawl!

We decided to start off at the Polynesian so hopped a bus for Magic Kingdom and took the resort launch over to the Poly. It was so weird getting off the bus though as no one seemed to know where the resort launch was and we had to go through security as though we were entering the park. We finally found our way and headed across the lagoon. Arriving at the Poly, we went straight for Trader Sam's. There was a wait list so we gave our phone number and headed upstairs to Tambu Lounge.

We grabbed seats at the bar and gave the menu a quick glance. We knew what we wanted though...the best of the best from Ohana...the potstickers. Lapu Lapus and the famous bread pudding!
IMG_0353.jpeg

Happy husband with Lapu Lapu!
IMG_0357.jpeg
Isn't it beautiful? And delicious!

We decided to go with the pot stickers for an appie. They were fabulous!
IMG_0358.jpeg
Of course there was only one option for dessert, the best bread pudding ever!
IMG_0359.jpeg
And then drenched in caramel sauce...mmmmmmm!
IMG_0360.jpeg

*continued in next post *

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!