Sundays in January 2020

kmorlock

Our Happy Place
I know MLK Day explains Sunday the 19th but, not one DVC resort has availability for any one Sunday in January. Is Sunday the new Thursday? I have a WL for one night (Sunday) at OKW studio. It’s a “bridge” night from Saturday when we plan to arrive for at least 7 nights. Wonder if I should hold my breath? Or plan to arrive Monday instead? Flights don’t come out for a month but would like to have everything set when they do.

January 2020, and February thus far, have not followed prior reservation patterns. In prior years, beginning of January through the Sunday of marathon weekend has been booked almost everywhere by 7 months out, but after that many openings existed, although if you waited too far beyond 7 months out, many would disappear.

This year, and it appears to be a Star Wars effect, many rooms previously opened at 7 months out after marathon weekend, started to disappear before 7 months out, even AKV Kidani and OKW rooms. That pattern has continued into February. Also as far as Sundays in Jan go, you have, in addition to MLK weekend, the marathon weekend which is a week before MLK weekend, and the NFL Pro Bowl the weekend after MLK weekend, which has been in Orlando for the last three years and will be there again in 2020, and has itself resulted in heavier than usual reservations for that weekend.

I know MLK Day explains Sunday the 19th but, not one DVC resort has availability for any one Sunday in January. Is Sunday the new Thursday? I have a WL for one night (Sunday) at OKW studio. It’s a “bridge” night from Saturday when we plan to arrive for at least 7 nights. Wonder if I should hold my breath? Or plan to arrive Monday instead? Flights don’t come out for a month but would like to have everything set when they do.
When you say “not one DVC resort has availability for any one Sunday in January”, what you really mean is that there are no studios to be had. There appear to be a lot of 1BRs and dedicated 2BRs available.

We’re well into the 7-month booking window and January is popular for Race Weekend and MLK weekend. That accounts for 2 of the 4 Sundays in January. January 5th could be due to NYE visitors staying on. But I can’t imagine why the 26th is booked out. <—ETA: ahhh, the Pro Bowl weekend.

When you say “not one DVC resort has availability for any one Sunday in January”, what you really mean is that there are no studios to be had. There appear to be a lot of 1BRs and dedicated 2BRs available.

We’re well into the 7-month booking window and January is popular for Race Weekend and MLK weekend. That accounts for 2 of the 4 Sundays in January. January 5th could be due to NYE visitors staying on. But I can’t imagine why the 26th is booked out. <—ETA: ahhh, the Pro Bowl weekend.
Yes, I am looking for a studio and, the 26th is the Sunday I need. So, Pro Bowl could be impacting availability too? I didn’t even consider that because Super Bowl Sunday is wide open for a lot of room categories across the board. I’m flex with dates as this was a tentatively dated trip anyway. We might move to Feb or March if the Sunday doesn’t come up. To my surprise, Jan 5th is open for a lot of studios this morning. I’d think coming off the holiday, and pre race weekend, it wouldn’t be.

That’s funny. I’m a teacher and have off on Monday the 27th of January (Chinese New Year) and my sister and I were just talking about doing a long weekend (Friday-Monday) since I’m off that Monday. When I did a quick spot check on dvc availability, Friday and Saturday had studio availability, but not Sunday the 26th. I wasn’t expecting to find anything since we’re well into the 7 month window, but if we wanted to, we could book a studio at OKW or SSR for Friday and Saturday, and waitlist Sunday.

Do a waitlist for the single night you need in the same booking category. Single nights are usually easier to get off the waitlist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts