Sundance 2013: What's it like to secretly film at Disney World?

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
From the Orlando Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/la-e...from-tomorrow-disney-20130120,0,5209467.story

Sundance 2013: What's it like to secretly film at Disney World?

By Steven Zeitchik and Julie Makinen
2:38 p.m. EST, January 20, 2013

PARK CITY, Utah -- "Escape from Tomorrow," filmed on the sly at Disney theme parks, is the talk of the Sundance Film Festival this weekend. But what was it like to make a movie over 25 days at Disney World, Epcot and Disneyland without park employees, or tourists, knowing?

In the video above, lead actor Roy Abramsohn and director Randy Moore explain the bizarre and thrilling experience of filming on Disney property without permission. In the black-and-white film, Abramsohn plays a down-on-his-luck father touring the park with his wife and children.

"As an actor, once you get over the fact that you didn't get caught that first day, no one threw you into 'Mickey Mouse jail,' then you're really just playing the scene," Abramsohn said. "It's almost easier, because you're not waiting for lighting setups" and other typical preparation between takes.

Abramsohn described the experience as "almost more exciting" than a normal production because there was "always the thrill of getting caught."

"It's the constant thrill, like an illicit affair," he said. "You're never bored."

Still, at various points during the shoot, the cast and crew were faced with the difficult task of playing the scene while not attracting too much attention from park staff and visitors. Abramsohn recalled one particularly challenging day when they filmed at the Germany section of Epcot in Orlando.

"There was a scene where I'm getting drunker and drunker and more belligerent," Abramsohn said. "The waitress didn't know [what we were doing], and I would have my arm around the waitress and saying 'Deutschland uberalis!' and I was trying not to say Nazi stuff so I wouldn't get thrown out.... That was a little touchy."

"There was a few moments where I was just crossing the edge, [where a person might say] 'What are you doing?'" he added. "She didn't know it was a movie. The cameramen were just at the other table, filming very quietly."

Moore said he decided to make the movie in black and white because he "didn't want it to be home movieish, didn't want it to have a found footage feel."

Without color, he said, audiences see "almost an alternate Disney World."

"Fantastic things were popping out of the woodwork, things you normally don't notice," he said.

Moore said "Escape" is an exploration of a childhood that was influenced by "a great deal of time spent with my father at these places, particularly Disney World.... I was trying to explore the relationship I had with the park and my father as a child."

Abramsohn said it was interesting to explore the question of "how do you live in a place that's supposed to be the happiest place on earth, but you're miserable and longing? There's a real sadness, longing and wanting in this movie."

It's unclear if Disney will have legal objections to the movie that might prevent it from being shown beyond the festival, in movie theaters nationwide or on DVD or video-on-demand. So far, no distributor has picked up the film.

Moore said he was hopeful Disney executives "would just see it as a creative exploration of someone who does have a nostalgia for the park."

"I'm not trying to shut Disney down or hurt them," he added. "This was the story, and that was the only place I could tell it."

...but wow! OMG, this film sounds like a twisted version of American Beauty meets Disney. :rotfl: Apparently, it's a huge hit at Sundance, with all the viewings sold out! And, some critics are already calling it a "cult classic."

~I have no interest in this film. But, I can't help but wonder if Disney plans to take any action. I'm also curious if a distributor will be bold enough to release this film at the cinema.

~The producer could also bypass distribution and release it in a digital format directly to iTunes, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc. It'll be very interesting to see how all of this turns out. popcorn:: The guy who got banned is a joke compared to this! Is Disney going to ban this guy, too?!? LOL.
:rotfl2: :goodvibes

Oh, I disagree Dr. I want to see this and I hope Disney raises a ruckus giving it more creedence. Sounds like fun and nothing that could actually harm Wal marts reputation. I'm child of the 60's after all.

If you look at other articles, one of the main storylines is the man's fixation on two underage girls that he follows around the parks after seeing them in bikinis at the pool. No thanks.

Sounds very different, if I get a chance to do so, I'll watch it. It sounds really interesting how they filmed it, plot wise they took a well used idea (dad down on his luck following some girls) and smacked it into reality, even worse, Disney. It really is a bold move and probably boosts the film's projection that much more.

Jacquie668 said:
NO MICKEY HANGERS!!!!...... EVERRRRRR!

Seriously though, sounds interesting, I am intrigued. :surfweb:[/QUOTE

ROTFL.... But Ditto to this. Also, if he went the direct to iTunes or Amazon route wouldn't he get to keep more if not all of the profits? If so I would be willing to cut the middle man. ;0)

I can't imagine Disney not pursuing action against the film makers. They have to protect the brand and their copyrights. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

That said, I am sure plot recaps and write ups will end up all over the internet. The movie sounds too creepy for my taste.

Man on Disney vacation with his family loses his mind, LOL what a novel concept?

Its hard to quantify my level of excitement at the possibility of seeing this for myself.

I'm not sure the metric system (or the british...for that matter) has the proper unit to equate...

But there's this: real people, real world, many problems = daily life at disney for both the worker and the visitor - like everywhere else.

nobody should really lose sight of that...or if you are relaxing...at least shelter it in the back of your mind incase it needs to come out on a minutes notice.

It's like kryptonite to the pixie dust peddlers.

A number of critics and message boards are saying the film takes a turn at the end, into perversion and pedophilia!:(

Oh, I disagree Dr. I want to see this and I hope Disney raises a ruckus giving it more creedence. Sounds like fun and nothing that could actually harm Wal marts reputation. I'm child of the 60's after all.
~By all means, Pirate, have at it!!! However, you bring up an important point, that I happen to agree with. If Disney goes after this film, then it will surely benefit from a substantial amount of free publicity & press! In contrast, Disney risks appearing like the big bully going after the little guy.

~Personally, I don't feel like the film will appeal to many people and will vanish fairly quickly, but only if Disney ignores it. Also, this guy filmed a lot of people without their permission. I wonder if he has given any thought as to how he plans to compensate them.

If you look at other articles, one of the main storylines is the man's fixation on two underage girls that he follows around the parks after seeing them in bikinis at the pool. No thanks.

Figures, this fool group is wining about the materialistic WDW and making a movie/trading for the materialistic Hollywood (who all the hollywood types rushing to see it, proves.). What a sick joke.:confused3

Let face it if the Disney name was not invlved............we would not be having this discussion.

PS, If I was the father of those girls, I would be filing a police report fast!

AKK

I didn't read up on it beyond what is here, but if he takes no steps to profit off of the movie and simply treats it as art, then I don't think Disney can take action. In that scenario, it wouldn't be much different from photo albums and home videos we all make.

Two years ago, my family and I wrote a silly Disney-based story starring our kids, and we took photographs around the parks to go along with it. We put it together into our own little picture book on Snapfish. I realize that our project wasn't shared with the world at a film festival, but if the guy says he was doing it just for fun (and not profit), I am not sure what Disney can do.

Lol! The Disney defenders are here already? Pedophiles? Following underage girls?

It was in the script. The girls were actresses in the movie and part of the storyline.

Lol! The Disney defenders are here already? Pedophiles? Following underage girls?

It was in the script. The girls were actresses in the movie and part of the storyline.

was it a "magic" script?

did they use the appropriate amount of "pixie dust" for the scene?

these are the things the public NEEDS to know:3dglasses

was it a "magic" script?

did they use the appropriate amount of "pixie dust" for the scene?

these are the things the public NEEDS to know:3dglasses

Alright, alright. The peanut gallery is always acting up around her.:banana:

Of course there was NO pixie dust as it wasn't Disney approved, so they just used regular dust and tried to ignore the sneezing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter