Sun damage?

lukenick1

DIS Veteran
Hoping someone can recommend a good sunscreen for me. For the past few years I have been getting melasma freckling on my face. I use 30 spf and wear a hat but the sun still finds a way to reach my face. Does anyone recommend a good sunscreen or make up to help shield my face from sun damage? Luckily it fades in the winter but boy does it look awful in the summer. I have always tanned never burned so not sure why this is happening. I had this bad when I was pregnant with my second son but that was 14 years ago. Not sure why I am getting it again. Thanks

Keep using your 30 if you like it. I use a Neutrogena Ultra sheer which seems to do well on my face. It's either 30 of 50 SPF. I just started using a new primer by Bare Minerals that is 30 SPF. It has 2 physical blockers in it but I don't remember the names. My derm also recommended the supplement Helioplex. She said she takes it when she knows she'll get sun exposure. I haven't needed it yet (Chicago winter) but I did buy it to use for vacation and summer. I read reviews that said it helped people not burn. I bought it on amazon.

My only suggestion is to go to a higher SPF and try a "physical" sunblock rather than the chemical sunscreen (just look for ingredients such as Titanium Dioxide and Zinc). I'd go with at least 50.

Since you are someone who 'browns' rather than burns, you probably have a higher concentration of melanin in your skin which puts you a higher risk for melasma. Everyone can have melasma but most fair skinned, burners don't get it. It is more the olive-toned people who struggle with it.

Hoping someone can recommend a good sunscreen for me. For the past few years I have been getting melasma freckling on my face. I use 30 spf and wear a hat but the sun still finds a way to reach my face. Does anyone recommend a good sunscreen or make up to help shield my face from sun damage? Luckily it fades in the winter but boy does it look awful in the summer. I have always tanned never burned so not sure why this is happening. I had this bad when I was pregnant with my second son but that was 14 years ago. Not sure why I am getting it again. Thanks

Are you on birth control pills? That's what causes my melasma. My OB said it will go away if I go off the pills (which I can't do, because I take them to manage my PCOS) or just to be super-careful and cover it up with makeup. Mine is not that dark (and only on my cheeks by my ears) bit it really bothers me!

A friend of mine started to have the same problem somewhere in her early to mid 40s and the dermatologist said that is was from hormones, she was still on the pill. Even though she was diligent about her sunblock application and she always wore a hat the melasma on her forehead and cheeks. She ended up getting a wider brimmed hat and staying in the shade as much as possible.

I use Neutrogena sport face SPF70. I was told to look for a sunblock with broad spectrum/helioplex. I've already had one moh's procedure for a basal cell carcinoma under my eye, so I wear this every day. I would also recommend sunglasses when outside. As we get older it seems these spots become more obvious on our face.

Are you on birth control pills? That's what causes my melasma. My OB said it will go away if I go off the pills (which I can't do, because I take them to manage my PCOS) or just to be super-careful and cover it up with makeup. Mine is not that dark (and only on my cheeks by my ears) bit it really bothers me!

No I do not take birth control or any hormone pills.

I thought I could use a self tanner on my face but boy was I wrong it made the melasma come out even more!

I thought I could use a self tanner on my face but boy was I wrong it made the melasma come out even more!

I know what you mean. On my legs and arms I have this weird freckles that aren't like age spots but just some concentration of melanin. I used self-tanner once and it made them SO noticeable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter