Summer Park Hours

wareagle57

DIS Veteran
does anyone know why the park hours for this summer are so short? Surely they can't be right can they? I know Disney updates hours all the time but they usually have them closer to what will be correct by now. there is just no way MK will close at 9 every night all summer right? Even 4th of July. And the other parks aren't open any later either with the exception of AK until 10.

I KNOW this can't be right. But it's starting to worry me. And it's annoying that I can't plan my days out. Please put my mind at ease.

I'm wondering the same thing. We have never gone in the summer but we expect the hours will increase due to crowds.

They just updated April hours, like two days ago.

They update about 2 weeks out now.

Those June hours will be updated mid May. Most likely closing will be at 11 PM. Not as great as the midnight to 1 AM closings we used to see, but still better than 9!

I can tell you that I have been there twice over the 4th of July and that on 7/3 MK was open until midnight I think or maybe even 1 a.m. with extra magic hours for 2 hours after. We stayed until after 3! Epcot did close right after their fireworks on the 4th, but I thought I read that this year there will be EMH that night there as well. I am really hoping that this will still be close to the same, especially the late night at MK on the 3rd. We will be there this year again and my whole family really looks forward to staying so late. I think I also remember that the hours were updated closer to the summer, but that I was able to book some very late night fastpasses so it must have been before my 60 day window opened up! So, I am not sure if that puts your mind at ease, or if I should now be worried with you!

They just updated April hours, like two days ago.

They update about 2 weeks out now.

Those June hours will be updated mid May. Most likely closing will be at 11 PM. Not as great as the midnight to 1 AM closings we used to see, but still better than 9!

I just searched around a bit to find out what time they closed last year on 7/3 and MK closed at 10 with EMH, this is 3 hours earlier than 2 years ago. I am positive EMH were until 3 a.m. and we stayed for the Kiss Goodnight. I wonder why they close so much earlier? Since resorts are filling up already, it seems it will be even more crowded this year than 2 years ago. Were there less guests staying last year? Maybe it will be later this year? I am disappointed. We really love that late night and were all looking forward to it. I was also looking forward to the Welcome Show a the train station-Gone, and Wishes-gone. Sigh..... I know, it's Disney and I love it, but it just seems like all the little (and some big) things I really love and look forward to are going away. Hard not to feel it a little.

I was disappointed that there are only a couple of evening EMH nights (I think one MK and one Epcot) during our entire 7 night stay in August. Do you think they will release more evening EMH's as we get closer?

I just searched around a bit to find out what time they closed last year on 7/3 and MK closed at 10 with EMH, this is 3 hours earlier than 2 years ago. I am positive EMH were until 3 a.m. and we stayed for the Kiss Goodnight. I wonder why they close so much earlier? Since resorts are filling up already, it seems it will be even more crowded this year than 2 years ago. Were there less guests staying last year? Maybe it will be later this year? I am disappointed. We really love that late night and were all looking forward to it. I was also looking forward to the Welcome Show a the train station-Gone, and Wishes-gone. Sigh..... I know, it's Disney and I love it, but it just seems like all the little (and some big) things I really love and look forward to are going away. Hard not to feel it a little.
Curious, what was it about the very late hours that you loved?

I know I loved the old 2-3am EMH times because I just enjoy the atmosphere of MK so late at night. The lighting, the crowds thinning out (hopefully), the ideal ambient temperature (in summer, usually). Even if all I was doing was wandering or taking it all in from a bench, those were some of my favorite moments.

...Not going to lie, I also liked the times I was able to ride Splash back-to-back a half dozen times just before closing, too.

I know I loved the old 2-3am EMH times because I just enjoy the atmosphere of MK so late at night. The lighting, the crowds thinning out (hopefully), the ideal ambient temperature (in summer, usually). Even if all I was doing was wandering or taking it all in from a bench, those were some of my favorite moments.

...Not going to lie, I also liked the times I was able to ride Splash back-to-back a half dozen times just before closing, too.
And this is why they no longer do them. Very light attendance. I agree, we are late night people, would rather stay out late, sleep late. But the reason it worked was not very many people prefer that. So it was no cost effective to do. They now close at a time when the majority are calling it quits. I'd love to see the late hours return but I don't expect it

And this is why they no longer do them. Very light attendance. I agree, we are late night people, would rather stay out late, sleep late. But the reason it worked was not very many people prefer that. So it was no cost effective to do. They now close at a time when the majority are calling it quits. I'd love to see the late hours return but I don't expect it

Yeah, I understand it completely. I don't fault them if it wasn't practical to keep around. Though I do wish it could at least still happen once in a while... even just once a month would make me consider scheduling my visit around it, heh.

We have had such great times during those hours and created very fond memories. It's kind of hard to explain, but that night has become special to us. I love the atmosphere, the craziness of being out so late with our whole family (feels kind of like breaking the rules, you know?), people watching, getting on some rides multiple times in a row, like BTMRR, having a waffle next to the castle at 2 a.m. (my daughter loves this!), going further into the park, while so many head out after the firework-it's pure chaos and we love it!
I just read in previous posts here that they stopped since it was so quiet, but I didn't find it that quiet. Rides like PP and 7DMT still had crazy wait times even at 2:30 a.m. There were still lots of people milling around even after closing. It is so very crowded during the week of the 4th, it seemed like a great benefit to staying onsite. I am just not so sure staying onsite is as worth it now as it used to be. Could it be they don't do so many late EMH now that they offer things like paying to stay after hours, or paying to come in early? These were perks that I feel I already pay for by choosing to spend extra to stay onsite and now they seem less and less "special". I really don't mean to sound cynical. This is a big trip for us, and we have so much to celebrate. Like others, we have been saving for 2 years an my dh has worked countless overtime hours to pay for it. He was really disappointed when I mentioned it last night. I have to say, though, that my 15 year old said, "Well, I just look forward to all of us spending time together there and that is what is important!" Leave it to my teenage daughter to put it back into perspective for me. But, still really hoping for at least an 11 pm closing and EMH til 1! One can always keep hoping....

We have had such great times during those hours and created very fond memories. It's kind of hard to explain, but that night has become special to us. I love the atmosphere, the craziness of being out so late with our whole family (feels kind of like breaking the rules, you know?), people watching, getting on some rides multiple times in a row, like BTMRR, having a waffle next to the castle at 2 a.m. (my daughter loves this!), going further into the park, while so many head out after the firework-it's pure chaos and we love it!
I just read in previous posts here that they stopped since it was so quiet, but I didn't find it that quiet. Rides like PP and 7DMT still had crazy wait times even at 2:30 a.m. There were still lots of people milling around even after closing. It is so very crowded during the week of the 4th, it seemed like a great benefit to staying onsite. I am just not so sure staying onsite is as worth it now as it used to be. Could it be they don't do so many late EMH now that they offer things like paying to stay after hours, or paying to come in early? These were perks that I feel I already pay for by choosing to spend extra to stay onsite and now they seem less and less "special". I really don't mean to sound cynical. This is a big trip for us, and we have so much to celebrate. Like others, we have been saving for 2 years an my dh has worked countless overtime hours to pay for it. He was really disappointed when I mentioned it last night. I have to say, though, that my 15 year old said, "Well, I just look forward to all of us spending time together there and that is what is important!" Leave it to my teenage daughter to put it back into perspective for me. But, still really hoping for at least an 11 pm closing and EMH til 1! One can always keep hoping....
No because they don't even have those in the summer

It's hard to not be cynical about it.

They reduce hours because "no one is there", yet they increase prices, and then sell those hours where "no one is there" for a very high premium.

Subject seems to come up here every 2, 3 days.
Park Hours aren't updated till about a month out. It's the new normal
https://www.disboards.com/threads/mk-closing-at-9pm-what.3592067/

This could possibly make it harder to plan at 60 days out, another "perk" some pay for by staying onsite. 2 years ago I was able to make FP+ plans for that 7/3 day I have been mentioning, for after the fireworks. With the earlier closing, I will probably only be able to use 2 FP at night. We won't go in until late afternoon, have an ADR at BOG and will have to hang out around Main Street to secure a spot for the fireworks. But, maybe I could fit in a FP for right after dinner! It will be worth a shot. I guess I won't worry about any of this any further until my window opens up!

Yes, it was noted that last year's summer attendance was down. I do not think this year will be the same as people are reporting hotels are booked quite full already.

So, it may be possible they add a bit more time onto July 3rd at MK this year if the crowds are expected to be bigger. I would think it would help out a bit with the buses as the park will be at closing when the fireworks end and so many people will head out at the same time. With a later close, more people will decide to stay....maybe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter