Summer Break of a Lifetime - Grand Canyon and Dis Exclusive Backstage Magic Trip Report - Complete!

jimmymc

Professional Adventurer!
Introduction

Well, it finally happened. After 6 years of watching and listening to podcasts, posting on the boards, and trying to balance vacation with work and school, I went on my first Adventures by Disney trip! In June of last year, Kevin announced the Dis Exclusive ABD trips for 2022, and July 10-15 lined up perfectly with my schedule. I emailed Kevin for a solo spot, sent in my deposit, and started looking forward to this once in a lifetime trip. The reason these dates were ideal is is that my company partially shuts down every July. Almost all employees are off the week of July 4th, and we are encouraged to take vacation the following week since factories will mostly be closed down. That is ultimately the reason I felt comfortable booking over a year in advance, and the Dis Exclusive trips sell out fast. Also good to note that this was only my second time ever in Disneyland, and my first time staying on-property. While I got to see a lot of the park last year, there were definitely whole sections and experiences I missed because of the limited time.

For those who don't know, the Backstage Magic ABD (officially called Southern California and Disneyland) follows Walt's journey from amateur animator to movie giant, and eventually founder of the Happiest Place on Earth. We start out with a few nights at the Loews Hollywood Hotel while getting to do some exclusive Hollywood experiences, then transfer to the Grand Californian and get access to the parks not even a VIP tour can provide. It's really a must do for fans of Walt, the parks, or anyone who likes seeing behind the scenes. And in my opinion, this is the best way to see Disneyland.

Some pictures from my first trip to Disneyland, October 2021:

20211017_100033.jpg
20211017_100901.jpg
20211017_133652.jpg

(That last one will be relevant later in the trip)

Pre-Trip Goodies

About three weeks before departure, I received two boxes from ABD. The first was the typical package they send adventures before the trip. It has a duffle bag, drawstring backpack, luggage tag, orange luggage strap, the paper luggage tags that are used to track your luggage from one hotel to the next, a small toiletry bag, and a lanyard with a name tag. The bright orange strap is especially useful for finding your bag at the airport. I ended up not bringing the bags they sent, just because I already have a good luggage packing system, but it would be a good personal item for under your seat on the plane. The only things you need to bring from this box are the paper luggage tags and lanyard, which both help the guilds keep track of your stuff and you on the trip.

The second box, which pre-2020 I don't believe was mailed out ahead of time, contained our pins for the trip. About half of our group brought these to wear on their lanyards, but I was worried about losing them in the parks so I did not. You would also receive your repeat adventurer pin in this box if this wasn't your first ABD trip, and some of the folks who did wear them also had pins for their second and third trips. The pins are great, and I believe all of them are exclusive to the trip, so they make for a nice souvenir (even if you do get them early now).

First box:

20220623_213347.jpg

Bags and Luggage Strap

20220623_213451.jpg

Backpack

20220623_213516.jpg

Pins and Lanyard

20220623_213904.jpg

20220623_213613.jpg

The Trip Before the Trip

So I did sort of lie in the title. This report isn't just going to be about the Adventures By Disney portion of my trip. Because of the company shutdown schedule, I wanted to do something else in the southwest US since I was going to be out there anyway. And even though it was July, and Arizona is hotter than the seventh level of you know where, I really wanted to see the Grand Canyon. So I decided to book what would've been an amazing trip on its own, staying several days on the south rim before rafting about 180 miles of the Colorado River. The first reports will be about that trip, and soon after I'll get to the actual ABD starting.

20220701_164340.jpg

Reports by day:

Day 1: Grand Canyon South Rim
https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...stage-magic-trip-report.3896187/post-64301522
Day 2: Bright Angel Trail
https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...stage-magic-trip-report.3896187/post-64308136
Day 3: Desert View, Vermilion Cliffs, and Marble Canyon
https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...stage-magic-trip-report.3896187/post-64313116
Days 4 and 5: Rafting Begins
https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...stage-magic-trip-report.3896187/post-64329686
Days 6 and 7: Spectacular Hikes
https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...stage-magic-trip-report.3896187/post-64332419
Days 8 and 9: Hidden Oasis and Leaving the Canyon
https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...stage-magic-trip-report.3896187/post-64394938
Day 10: The Adventure Begins!
https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...stage-magic-trip-report.3896187/post-64474623
Day 11: Theaters and Studios
https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...stage-magic-trip-report.3896187/post-64476155
Day 12: Disney Goes Big
https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...stage-magic-trip-report.3896187/post-64525064
Day 13: All to Ourselves
https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...stage-magic-trip-report.3896187/post-64548368
Day 14: Wonder World (of Color)
https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...stage-magic-trip-report.3896187/post-64552654
Days 15-17: Farewell!
https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...stage-magic-trip-report.3896187/post-64554891

Last edited:
I love that people are posting full trip reports as it helps plan out what we want to do next. I did the Grand Canyon river rafting as a guys trip with my Dad and son. It was tons of fun. I have wanted to do the ABD backstage magic trip for some time so I am looking forward to seeing what to expect.

Day 1: Grand Canyon South Rim

Day 1 starts around 7 am at the Detroit Airport. With all the chaos going on in the airline industry this summer, I've been pretty lucky with my home base staying calm and on time. It also helps having a Nexus card and status with Delta. I splurged for the first leg of the trip and flew direct on Delta Comfort+. It's not much over economy, but does include some extra legroom, upgraded snacks and drinks, and early boarding so I don't have to gate-check anything. No photos, but the flight was smooth and I arrived in Phoenix a few minutes early. For this part of the trip, I rented a car from Turo, a site where individuals can rent out their own cars. Pickup was easy, I just took a bus to one of the off-site lots and the keys were waiting for me. Before making the 3 hour drive to the National Park, I stopped at the first place I always go when landing on the west coast: In N Out. Double double animal style, always.

The drive up I-17 was pretty crowded, but luckily we rarely slowed down and I made pretty good time. I also made a quick stop at target to buy some snacks, gatorade, and other supplies for the trip. There was some rain on the way into Flagstaff, but it only lasted around 20 minutes, and I pulled up to the rim just before 4 pm. The first two nights I stayed at the Bright Angel Lodge, one of the older hotels located right on the rim of the Grand Canyon. My room was about 10 steps from spectacular views and the beginning of the Bright Angel Trail, probably the most known way to cross the canyon. After checking in I took my time to soak in the views and check out the main visitor areas.

20220701_164340.jpg

20220701_173549.jpg
20220701_171112.jpg

If hiking isn't normally your thing, I still recommend doing the small portion of the Rim Trail between the El Tovar hotel and Visitor Center. It's about 1.5 miles along a paved, level sidewalk and is wheelchair and ECV accessible. You get to see the canyon from a few different angles and learn about how it was formed. The rock at river-level near the visitor center is 1.8 billion years old, and since then dozens of layers built up on top, it was covered by the ocean for a while, and only in the last 250 millions years or so was the canyon actually pushed up from the ground.

In addition to the main center, the national park runs busses to other viewpoints in the area, and since it was getting late I took one out to Mohave Point to watch the sunset. I don't think I've ever seen colors like these before: yellow to orange to purple, and with different lighting you can even see layers in the Canyon that weren't visible before. I spent probably two hours at this single point, from when the sun was just starting to set until it was pitch black, just taking it all in. It was a long yet spectacular day, and after a quick dinner of Target-brand Kind bars and peanut butter crackers, I went to bed around 9 to make sure I got an early start the next morning.

Not too much to report on today, since it was mostly 10 hours of uneventful travel. But the first look at the Canyon completely energized me for the rest of the trip, and tomorrow is the (first) big day. I also have more photos too large for the DisBoards to include, so I've linked them here:

20220701_192319.jpg

20220701_200113.jpg
20220701_195447.jpg
GOPR2184.JPG
20220701_201933.jpg

Last edited:

Beautiful pics! I do love the Grand Canyon.

You get to see the canyon from a few different angles and learn about how it was formed. The rock at river-level near the visitor center is 1.8 billion years old, and since then dozens of layers built up on top, it was covered by the ocean for a while, and only in the last 250 millions years or so was the canyon actually pushed up from the ground (not eroded by the river, like many people assume).

I don't believe this is correct. The area where the canyon was carved from was built by being pushed up from the ground (via techtonic plate movement), but the carving of the canyon itself from that area was definitely done by the Colorado River and all of it's tributaries.

https://wosu.pbslearningmedia.org/r...rthsys.canyon/the-grand-canyon-how-it-formed/

Sayhello

Beautiful pics! I do love the Grand Canyon.

I don't believe this is correct. The area where the canyon was carved from was built by being pushed up from the ground (via techtonic plate movement), but the carving of the canyon itself from that area was definitely done by the Colorado River and all of it's tributaries.

https://wosu.pbslearningmedia.org/r...rthsys.canyon/the-grand-canyon-how-it-formed/

Sayhello
I could've phrased it better. The point I was making is that the rim of the Canyon is higher up than the surrounding areas, as opposed to the river cutting out of flat land.

I could've phrased it better. The point I was making is that the rim of the Canyon is higher up than the surrounding areas, as opposed to the river cutting out of flat land.
That *does* make more sense! :)

Sayhello

Day 2: Bright Angel Trail to Plateau Point

Day 2 starts nice and early from the Bright Angel Lodge, which gets its name from the trail I'll be using today. The Bright Angel Trail has been used for thousands of years by both people and animals to traverse from the rim to the bottom of the canyon, and today is the most popular trail for hikers and mules making that same journey. As you start the trail, there are large signs warning about the dangers of heat stroke, plus the phrase "Going down is optional, going up is mandatory" was repeated every mile or so. The Grand Canyon park rangers average 294 rescues a year, more than one a day during busy season, so they're definitely justified. I started the day with a few breakfast bars and plenty of water. On the trail I filled my camelback with 1.5L of ice water, plus a 32 oz gatorade. One great thing about this trail is that there are water filling stations every 1.5 miles from the top until you reach the river, and there were the only reason I was able to attempt this hike in July.

The first mile or so was a little slow, partially because I was getting used to hiking after not going for a while, and also because of some mule train traffic jams. Mules are still used to ferry people and supplier to Phantom Ranch, which I considered going to but unfortunately couldn't get a spot in one of the cabins. They book up very fast 13 months in advance. When I got to the 1.5 mile resthouse I topped off my water but didn't bother to sit, it was go time. Now that I was in the groove, I made it quickly to the 3 mile resthouse and again just stopped to refill my water. This was also the point where you could really see the details of the valley, and you're around 2000 feet below the rim.

The start of the trail
20220702_063918.jpg

Some interesting rock features
20220702_074004.jpg

The view up
20220702_075701.jpg

Continuing on from the 3 mile rest area, I did slow down here to take some of the pictures posted above. Around 1 mile later the trail really flattens out, and this is also where you start seeing cacti growing in the ground. Thanks to elevation change the bottom of the trail is significantly hotter than the top, and it's more exposed to the sun. Luckily it's still on a slight downgrade, so walking continues to be pretty easy. I topped off my water one more time at the Indian Garden campground/spring, and this is also where the trail diverts. If you continue down, you'll follow the Garden Creek from the natural spring all the way to the Colorado, or you can divert to the left like I did towards Plateau Point. This is a cliff that stands over 1000 feet above the river and provides some amazing views. You cut through some of the long grass growing on the edge of the creek, and next thing you know you're in the middle of an open field. Walk about 2 more miles through more cacti and tumbleweeds to reach the rocky cliffs at the end.

Where I'm heading
20220702_083442.jpg

More cacti
20220702_085935.jpg

Views from the end of the trail

20220702_094728.jpg

20220702_100131.jpg

I spent about 20 minutes taking it all in and having a snack before turning around and starting the hard part. The cliffs were also made of black granite, so you really do start to roast if you spend too much time there. However to see surrounded by canyon on all sides was 100% worth it. The walk back along the plateau was pretty easy, and again I grabbed more water at Indian Garden. This is where the real challenge begins: getting to the next resthouse. In hindsight I really should've taken my time at Indian Garden, sitting in the shade and drinking more water before I moved on. But either way, I continued up the switchbacks at a snail's pace. I did stop and sit on the side of the trail a few times, and even emptied my 1.5 L water pack before making it to the next stop. But you just keep putting 1 foot in front of the other and eventually I made it! 3 mile is the nicest of the rest houses, with shade, a few benches to sit on, bathrooms, and water. I decided this was as good a point as any to eat my lunch, which consisted of more peanut butter crackers, kind bars, and fruit snacks (which are amazing when you need quick energy). Lunch ended up lasting about 30 minutes, with plenty of water to go along with it, before I continued up the trail again.

I did manage to make it up to the 1.5 mile house without stopping, still moving at a slow pace. This time I only rested about 10 minutes (which I did have to do on the floor, since there isn't a bench here) and drank plenty more water. It's amazing how fast you go through it in a hot, dry climate, something that's rarely an issue up in Michigan. Eventually I start to see more day guests and families doing much shorter portions of the trail, and I offer to take a few photos as a way to take breaks. Finally around 3 pm I pass through the same cutout as you see in the first photo, pass the final switchback, and make it to the top. 8.5 hours, 12.8 miles, and 3600 ft of elevation gain. It's one of the most amazing trails I've ever done and would like to do again, especially when the weather is cooler. The first thing I did is grab the two cold gatorades from my room, then parked myself on a little bench outside Mary Colter's Lookout Studio.

Taken towards the end of the hike, you can see the Plateau Point trail right in the middle of this photo:

20220702_144421.jpg

And a quick selfie at the lookout studio to celebrate the end:
20220702_145134.jpg

After resting on some benches at the edge of the rim, I did decide to get some real food. I drove out of the park to the a small collection of hotels and restaurants, none of which had great ratings but I picked the best one I could find, Big E Steakhouse and Saloon. The tenderloin medallions were served with a peppercorn sauce, mashed potatoes, and steamed veggies, and overall it was pretty good. 8/10 on it's own, 7/10 for the price, 9.5/10 considering my hunger. It's probably the best sit-down restaurant in town aside from the El Tovar dining room, which was fully booked up that night. On the way back in I stopped at the visitor center for a different view of the sunset, which I'll include in the Imgur album since I'm out of space for this post. Overall it was a spectacular day, and right after sunset I hit the hay to prepare for another big day: driving around the canyon.

More photos:

Attachments

• 20220702_094922.jpg
    20220702_094922.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 9
You can actually be fined for hiking lower than a certain point on the Grand Canyon trails if you do not have a confirmed reservation at Bright Angel Campground along the river or the Phantom Ranch.

Helicopter rescues used to be a daily occurrence, but Rangers are now fully train EMTs with stashed medical supplies to start an IV. Once rehydrated and rested, even the injured must still walk out if at all possible.

The cabins at the Phantom Ranch are almost impossible to book, however, I highly recommend a night in the Phantom Ranch Bunkhouse. I been fortunate to make three trips to the Phantom Ranch along the South Kaibab/Bright Angel route. Each trip was incredible!

Please pay very, very close attention to all warning. Inside the Grand Canyon is a dangerous and remote area resulting in about one death per year. The beauty can safely be experience only by taking proper precautions before your trip.

-Paul

Day 3: Desert View, Vermilion Cliffs, and Marble Canyon

For my last morning on the south rim, I slept in a bit (at least relative to eastern time) and packed up my stuff. Luckily I had a car, so I was able to just throw most things in the trunk before taking a final walk along the rim. Even on my third day in a row this view still wasn't getting old, and I don't think it ever does. After walking around and taking in the scenery, I decided to treat myself to breakfast at the El Tovar Dining Room. The El Tovar was opened in 1905 and has been relatively well preserved, with the exterior, lobby, and dining room looking similar to how they did 115 years ago. It was also the accommodation Teddy Roosevelt used during a few of his trips to the canyon. The reservations fill up quickly for lunch and dinner, but breakfast is first come, first serve, and a much cheaper way to enjoy the historic venue. I enjoyed the huevos rancheros, house made Belgium Hot Chocolate, and the signature cinnamon roll; all 3 were simple and delicious. I highly recommend it at least one day if you're staying overnight on the rim.

20220703_075626.jpg

After breakfast I walked through the Hopi House, a gift shop built around the same time as the El Tovar in the style of a pueblo clay house. Today it hosts many Native American artists from the area and has everything from homemade dolls to clay pots to jewelry. Definitely a good choice if you want a more authentic souvenir. Then I headed to my car and started the drive east to Cameron. Along this drive is where you see most of the easily accessible parts of the National Park. You can stop at different viewpoints overlooking the river which are a quick walk from the parking lot. The canyon also gets less deep in these areas, making it possible to see things like rapids and sandy beaches that you can't from the main visitor center. The last viewpoint is called Desert View and is home to a 7 story tower, which if it were open would offer some pretty amazing sightlines. When I was there the whole area was under construction, including the tower, so I didn't spend too long before leaving the park.

20220703_101338.jpg
20220703_110216.jpg

The drive ended up taking a pretty long time without many places to stop. Most of it takes place in the Navajo reservation, so there aren't many choices in terms of restaurants or places to stop. You will see plenty of little shops on the side of the road with handmade jewelry and rugs, but that's about it. The early part of the route follows the Little Colorado River, and does have a few interesting looking places to stop, but after that it's mostly flat and open. I did grab lunch at the Cameron trading post, a little tourist trap with a decently-reviewed restaurant. I had a hot beef sandwich served on fried Navajo bread, which was alright, but if I went back I would probably order something else. The menu is pretty limited for lunch but has many more options for dinner. There is also a large shop, motel, gas station, and a Burger King in the area, so if you don't have time to sit down and eat you can grab something fast.

20220703_162649.jpg
From lunch it was straight to Marble Canyon to check in and do some organizing. I stayed at Lee's Ferry Lodge at Vermilion Cliffs, a little 10 room motel attached to a bar. For those doing a river rafting trip, the guides suggest staying at the Marble Canyon lodge, but it was completely booked up this night, so I got the next closest place 3 miles down the road. The room was pretty small and just had 1 queen bed, a desk, a dresser, and the bathroom, but larger ones are available with different combinations of queens and twins for families. It was clean and had strong air conditioning, so zero complaints from me. At this point I did take a quick nap to recover from driving all day and repacked some of my bags. Space is limited on the river trips, so they suggest bringing one duffle bag with your clothes and toiletries plus a smaller daybag you can access at any time. I used my larger backpack for the clothes and a smaller one for the day. The only things I was missing were a sun hat and some beer, both of which I was able to buy at the local gas station.

After repacking, I went out to see the Vermilion Cliffs and get some dinner. Even this small area has a few fantastic places to see, especially the cliffs themselves. There are several hiking trails that you can use to climb the cliffs and see some Native American wall paintings, and if I had more time I would love to return and explore the area plus the Grand Canyon North Rim. I drove west on Rt. 89A and got some photos, then on the way back I stopped at the Cliff Dwellers Lodge for dinner. The menu was basic, with things like nachos, burgers, sandwiches, and ribs. I had the patty melt and a beer while sitting outside (in the shade) and continuing to enjoy the dessert view. Of the two restaurant options within a 1 hour drive, I would eat here again.

20220703_170932.jpg
20220703_185457.jpg
20220703_172742.jpg

After dinner I had a little bit of time, so I went to the Lee's Ferry National Recreational Area. This is the same place where our trip would launch the next day, and there was a good size beach and sand bar protected from the currents of the river. Many locals use this area to fish and for beach days, and since it was Sunday evening there were plenty of people still there. The water is extremely cold, since it's only 15 miles downriver of the Glen Canyon dam, but I still waded in and watched the setting sun reflect off the canyon walls, which are only about 100 ft high at this point. There are so many beautiful areas in this part of the country, and thinking back now I'm happy I rented the car and got to explore it on my own. You could take a guided tour like an ABD to this area, and the rafting company also offers flights directly from Las Vegas the morning of the trip, but you miss these kind of places when you do that. Not to spoil the ending, but I'm already looking at coming back for another rafting trip in a few years and can't wait for the opportunity.

20220703_170457.jpg

After the beach I rinsed the sand off my feet and took my last real shower for the next 6 days. Also used the last of my cell service to confirm the ABD details for next week and message my friends about the trip so far. Tomorrow, the rafting finally begins!

More photos:

You can actually be fined for hiking lower than a certain point on the Grand Canyon trails if you do not have a confirmed reservation at Bright Angel Campground along the river or the Phantom Ranch.

Helicopter rescues used to be a daily occurrence, but Rangers are now fully train EMTs with stashed medical supplies to start an IV. Once rehydrated and rested, even the injured must still walk out if at all possible.

The cabins at the Phantom Ranch are almost impossible to book, however, I highly recommend a night in the Phantom Ranch Bunkhouse. I been fortunate to make three trips to the Phantom Ranch along the South Kaibab/Bright Angel route. Each trip was incredible!

Please pay very, very close attention to all warning. Inside the Grand Canyon is a dangerous and remote area resulting in about one death per year. The beauty can safely be experience only by taking proper precautions before your trip.

-Paul
I didn't know about the fines. I know they don't like people hanging around phantom ranch or the campgrounds unless they have reservations, but I also talked to some people from Arizona who did the rim to rim hike in 1 day, so maybe nobody questions it if you keep moving.

I also saw the medical boxes at each rest house. You can call the emergency phone and a ranger will meet you there or possibly give you the lock code for the supplies.

Days 4 and 5: Rafting Begins!

Day 4 begins with an early wake-up call to head to Marble Canyon. Getting out of the room was pretty easy since I had packed my rafting bags the night before. The trip meets at 8 am with breakfast at a small office in town. This is also where you meet your river guides and other passengers you'll be living with for the next 6 days. Now is the time to grab anything you forgot from the gas station store (including beer and wine). Other rafters were flying in from Vegas that morning and arrived around 7:30 am. Since I was driving to the pickup spot, I parked my car across the road at a tiny airstrip where the trip would eventually conclude and joined with the group. I was the only solo passenger, we also had 3 or 4 families, a few parent/kid pairs, and 2 groups of all adults. One of the sets of parents had been on a similar trip before, for the rest of us it was the first time.

I booked this trip with Arizona River Runners. They offer everything from a 3 day escape (with only 1 night of actual camping) to 15 night oar trips. While I would've loved to do something longer, the only thing available this week was a 6 day, 5 night motor trip going from Lee's Ferry to Whitmore Wash. The trip covers almost all of the major rapids in the canyon and is a great way to maximize a 1 week vacation. The cost includes almost everything you need: hot meals, snacks, water, non-alcoholic drinks, tents, sleeping bags, cots, and dry bags. They will send you a packing list for clothes and toiletries, plus alcohol is BYOB. For transportation, this trip includes the helicopter ride out of the canyon at the end plus a flight back to either Marble Canyon or Vegas. A flight from Vegas to Marble Canyon at the start of the trip is an extra $300, or you can leave a car there for free like I did.

For this trip, we have a total of 28 guests and 4 guides split between two boats. Since we're on a motor trip, the guides do all the driving and all the passengers need to do is hang on through the rapids. After breakfast they gave us a 5 minute safety talk before we packed up 2 vans to take us to the rafts. It's a 10 minute drive through the same recreational area I was in last night to Lee's Ferry. There the rest of our supplies were laid out on the boat ramp waiting for us. We put our stuff in dry-bags, fitted our life jackets, and the guides showed us where and how to sit on the rafts. One thing I really liked about this company is how the rafts were organized. You sat on the middle looking out, with your feet up on the pontoons. You could also straddle the pontoons facing forward, which was really fun when going through the rapids. Other boats we passed didn't really let you put your feet in the water like ours, which was refreshing in the middle of July.

Once the boats were packed we set off! The first day doesn't have a lot of stops, just lunch and some quick bathroom breaks, but plenty of rapids to go through. Soon after leaving you pass under the Navajo Bridge, the last vehicle crossing until the Hoover dam some 300 miles later. The water is pretty calm at this point, since the area after Lee's Ferry is one of the widest parts of the river we would go through. After maybe 30 minutes we hit the first real set of rapids and everyone gets to feel the cold river water for the first time! Since the river comes from the Glen Canyon dam, it stays a consistent 55ish degrees (13C) all year long. Very nice in the hot afternoons, brutal when it's right after breakfast and the sun hasn't even hit the bottom of the canyon yet. After a few more rapids we stopped for lunch, which for the duration of this trip means pulling up to a beach and the guides setting out a quick cold meal. They made a sandwich bar with cold cuts, fresh veggies, chips, and cookies, plus plenty of water and electrolyte flavor mixes. After lunch and cooling off in the water, we hit a stretch called the Roaring Twenties. Due to steep limestone walls and rockslides over time, you go through 8 or 9 pretty intense rapids in a 10 mile stretch. This is also the point where many early explorers of the river decided to cut their losses and climb out, especially since they were trying to do this in a small rowboat. Luckily it wasn't a problem for our large raft.

GOPR2191.JPG

GOPR2207.JPG

Around 4 pm we pulled on to a large sandy beach to set up camp for the night. Another great thing about this trip is that since the weather is so dry, almost everyone sleeps under the stars. Each of our camping kits comes with a cot, sleeping bag, sheet, pillow, camp chair, and tent. Nobody on this trip needed a tent, and about half chose to use the sleeping bag. I like to sleep cooler, so I only used the sheet and was good all week. While everyone sets up their own little campsite, the guides take a well deserved rest before setting up dinner. Using a combination of buckets, large propane stoves, and a gas griddle, they set up a dishwashing station, sink, and hot dinner buffet. For our first night we ate grilled salmon, rice pilaf, and steamed broccoli, all of which were delicious. They bring a full spice and condiment box so you can spice up the meals if you'd like, but the guides do a pretty good job of cooking on their own. You can also access soda (provides by the trip) and any alcohol you brought along. These are stored in the rafts, but each boat has mesh bags hanging off the side to let the river cool them off. Possibly most surprising, we also had ice! Every day there was a large ice block available in a cooler to chip away at and use for drinks. It was basically glamping at this point. Early in the trip some of the families choose to eat together on their own, but the groups of adults and myself pulled our camping chairs down to the water and ate with our feet in the river. One guy was celebrating a birthday, so afterwards we had cake while continuing to talk about our first day and why we decided to go on the trip. Around 9 pm it was pitch black, and after being up so early we all went to bed.

20220704_195035.jpg
20220704_195615.jpg

Next morning we wake up to the sunrise peeking around the corner and start to get ready for the day. Our guides start us off with an omelette bar (seriously, at a campsite dozens of miles from the nearest utilities or civilization) and some breakfast potatoes. The procedure for meals is everyone washes their hands, grabs their plate and silverware, cleans it at the cleaning station, and gets in line for food. Then scraps go in the trash and plates are washed again before being put away. At the beginning of the trip, they give everyone a little insulated travel cup, so everyone is responsible for their own beverages. Speaking of which, the first thing ready every morning is coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. They'll also have some kind of juice and the same electrolyte mixes and gatorade from lunch and dinner. Once breakfast is done we finish packing up camp, load the boats, and get moving. This morning we have a few early stops.

The first stop is a short hike up to some Native American rest house ruins. Really all that's left is a clay foundation, but you can still see some pictographs carved into rocks and pieces of turquoise left in honor of family members. Some native tribes lived in the canyon on the larger beach areas, while others would hike down for several days at a time to fish and grow plants that did well in the flooded soil. The rest houses were for the second group to use as a base while on trips to the river. They knew the area well and we able to survive year-round in extreme hot and cold weather.

20220705_085329.jpg
A short ride later we stopped again at Redwall Cavern. The pictures really don't do it justice, this place was huge.

20220705_085429.jpg

Our last stop before lunch was at a little spring in a smaller side canyon. Water emerges from the walls at several springs along the trip, and this was the first one we got to experience.

20220705_101734.jpg
20220705_102112.jpg

20220705_103851.jpg

Lunch today was a taco salad, plus chips and cookies. Like yesterday, the guides had water, electrolytes, and soda set up for us. Pro-tip, if you stop near Eminence Break, this is the last chance to wash yourself in clear water. Once the Little Colorado joins with the main river, the water is muddy for the rest of the trip. Where the two rivers meet does make a pretty good visual effect.

20220705_120859.jpg

The afternoon was mostly sailing with a few good rapids thrown in. It was a long morning, so everyone was pretty happy to enjoy the ride. We pulled into camp a little early at the entrance to Lava Canyon. Way off in the distance you could see the watchtower at Navajo Point, so we were just starting to enter the main national park territory. I have to admit at this point, I was starting to hit the hump when it comes to camping. Constantly being coated in sand gets old after a full day and night, and I wasn't quite used to it yet, so setting up camp was a little frustrating. It even rained a little bit this afternoon. But by the time dinner was ready and I had a few beers that was all in the past. Once you accept and acclimate to your feet being wet and sandy all the time, it makes the experience so much better. Also the taco salad didn't have a ton of calories at lunch, so I may have been hangry too.

Tonight's dinner was spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread. Not quite as good as the salmon, but still tasty and they had plenty of extra garlic bread for me. Similar to last night, we sat at the edge of the water and just enjoyed the evening until the sun went down. We also met a researcher who was going around the area on a little motorboat studying fish populations. Once they left, it was late and we all went to bed.

Tomorrow is the heart of the canyon and some of the biggest rapids.

Days 6 and 7: Spectacular Hikes

Our 6th day began with another beautiful sunrise over the river. Since we were in a wider area, the sun made it's way over the wall a little earlier than yesterday. This campsite is pretty unique compared to the first night; rather than one large sandy beach, it was a lot of smaller sites spread between rocks and trees. It took a little while before I saw anyone else coming out of their little home bases. I got my stuff packed up and joined everyone for coffee and tea by the river. By this point most of the group was getting to know each other, including most of the families. Hot and cold drinks were the same, except we had grape juice instead of orange juice. Breakfast was french toast and sausage, and our group packed up the campsite pretty quickly this morning. We set sail around 7:45.

20220706_064808.jpg

Day 6 takes you through the middle of the national park area, past Phantom Ranch and the deepest part of the canyon (about 1 mile below the rim). It also contains some of the largest rapids of the entire stretch. The morning was pretty much all sailing. We rode past many of the trails miners used to take down when looking for metal and gems. They found some copper, but mostly asbestos, and mining was all but gone by the time it became a national park. We also passed more native rock carvings and pictographs, and several spring-fed creeks which feed into the Colorado. Hance Rapids was the largest, where we dropped into about a 10 ft hole and looked up as a wall of water came over the front of the raft. Those were the kind of rapids I was expecting.

The first half of the day we went pretty quick down the river and passed Phantom Ranch before lunch. Today we had sandwiches plus snacks, same as the first day. Our spot overlooked Monument Creek and the rapids at the base of it, so we watched a few other groups go through them before we had the chance. It also had a nice harbor where we could swim and cool off after spending the entire morning on the river. After eating we hit a few more big rapids before pulling into camp early, around 1:30 in the afternoon. Our guides explained that we stopped early because this is a prime location, and we were about to find out why.

Camp was on a pretty big beach that was part of a huge flat area, so we were able to spread out between all the rocks and trees. While two of the guides set up camp, the rest of us piled into one raft and went about 100 yards down to Shinumo Creek. This was one of the larger side streams we've seen up to this point, and our group hiked about 5 minutes through the water upriver. At the end was a waterfall fed by a hot spring, so the temperature was perfect. We spent several hours here swimming, standing under the water, and sliding through a cave on the backside of the falls. Big kudos to the guides for knowing to claim camp here when it was available. I later learned that all but 3 of the campsites are first come, first serve, and this one you always take if it's empty.

20220706_162314.jpg

(See the Imgur post at the end for pictures of the falls, the files were too large for Disboards)

This was the night where everyone really got to know each other in camp. We pulled our chairs around a smaller group before dinner, and by the time we ate everyone was in a big circle eating together. Food this evening was hot dogs and hamburgers with corn on the cob. After everyone ate we had some cookies and brownies for dessert (which I guess they do dessert every other night, but I'm not completely sure). Then anyone who brought beer or wine (or soda for the kids) enjoyed staying up chatting until well after sunset. The sky was completely clear, so we got to see a few stars and a very bright, nearly full moon provided us with enough light to get around. The last of us hit the hay around 10:30.

Day 7 started out like all the others. We took our spots in the same large circle with coffee and tea, and for breakfast we did omelettes and toast. Food was great as always, and they 7 or 8 different ingredients to choose from. After breakfast we cleaned up camp again and set off. Passing by yesterday's waterfall, we hit a few rapids before stopping pretty early for our first hike of the day. This one had a bit of a scramble up and over some rocks, plus some parts where we had to hold on to the wall going around the corner. But after maybe 15 minutes we arrived at a swimming hole in Elves Chasm. There were deep and shallow sections of the pool, ranging anywhere from 1 to 10 feet down, and a decent sized cave behind the waterfall. Most important, there was a ledge you could climb to jump into the deepest part of the pool. It was pretty sketchy, going nearly straight up wet rocks, but most of the group did it and we got some pretty cool photos. The water was very cold up here, but once you jumped in to the deep end everyone got used to it.

On the way back down we did have our one injury of the trip. One of the grandparents who was travelling with a family scraped his leg up pretty bad on the scramble portion of the hike, so our guides bandaged him up before we continued on. We hit even more rapids before stopping for lunch at Stone Creek, a large beach with a 10 minute hike to another small waterfall. The water was only a few inches deep here, so everyone who wanted to grabbed some pictures under the rushing water before eating. Today we had chicken caesar wraps, chips, and cookies. The wraps were pretty light, so a lot of people busted out the candy bars at this stop. The beach also had a nice and large shallow area, and many people ate while wading in the river to cool off. At this point in the trip nobody was bothered by cold water anymore. Once we finished, we headed off the the final stop of the day and the longest hike of the entire trip.

20220707_153455.jpg

This last spot was Deer Creek, a smaller river which carved a beautiful side canyon into the rocks. Right near where we parked the boast was a 90 ft. waterfall, where some of our expedition chose to spend the whole stop. Most of the group embarked on a steep hike up the side of the canyon to the top of the waterfall and beyond. Once you reach the top of the falls via a scramble back and forth up the hill, you walk along a ledge well above the creek until reaching some shaded pools to relax and swim in. The water was much warmer up here compared to the bottom, and several other rafting groups were already hanging out. We brought some snacks and water to enjoy before heading back down. This is probably the one part of the trip that isn't for those afraid of heights, and one of the moms was nervous going across a thin stretch of the canyon ledge, but everyone who set out with us made it up and back down. After reaching the bottom, we met up with the rest of the group and watched as people tried to swim up to the waterfall. We stayed here pretty late, since camp was only about 15 minutes downriver.

20220707_154150.jpg

20220707_161222.jpg

We arrived at our campsite a little bit later than previous days, as the entire area was already in the shade by the time we landed. Camp was set up quickly and this time almost everybody joined in one big circle straight away. Some of the teens did a short climb up to a cave in the side of the wall, and we saw bighorn sheep walking around behind the campsite. Dinner was chicken fajitas with rice and beans. I went through quite a few beers this night before heading to sleep around 9:30.

At this point in the trip you're finally getting used to living in the canyon, and I couldn't believe that tomorrow was the last full day. We've passed by so many amazing sites, stopped at a few more, and there is just so much to see that I already can't wait to come back. Next report will be the final two days in the canyon, and after that the ABD finally begins! (Sorry to everyone who just wanted to see the ABD portion, it'll happen soon).

Days 8 and 9: Hidden Oasis and Leaving the Canyon

Note: All photos will be in the Imgur Album, since they are mostly too large to post here on the boards:

Our last full day starts out with the sun peaking around one of the large canyon walls. Our camping spots here were a bit more exposed than most nights, also had to deal with a few ants, but overall it was a good night of sleep. Breakfast today was pancakes, bacon, and sausage. In addition, we also packed a lunch to throw in our day bags. In addition to a few larger rapids, the main attraction of the day is Havasu Creek. About 10 miles downriver from the famous Havasu Falls, the creek forms these small pools that are perfect for swimming, featuring both warm and cold areas, places you can jump in, and a few small natural waterslides. Our group was pretty quick to pack up our lunches and tear down camp, so we were moving before 8 am.

The first stretch of river was pretty smooth by our standards. A few smaller rapids, but most of the time was spent on flat water in the shade. It was a nice break considering this was our 5th straight day, and we still got splashed enough to wake everyone up. We made one quick restroom stop before approaching Havasu Creek. An interesting thing about this docking space is that it's actually in the middle of a rapid! Around halfway through the whitewater, the driver does a hard U-turn to the left and parks in a small cutout of the rocky cliffs. The bow of the raft actually comes up almost level with the rocks, so once we are tied down everyone is able to step off without too much trouble with full water bottles and our lunches. We lay out our life jackets to dry off and begin the short hike up to the swimming pools.

The walk was about a mile over level ground, nothing close to as treacherous as the last two days. 20 minutes in we see the first shallow pool and waterfall, but this one was tiny compared to where we were going! After a bit more hiking we reached our spot for the day: a literal oasis with two small waterfalls, 4 pools to choose from with varying temperatures, and a natural rock slide. The teens in the group had a ton of fun going on the slide over and over, and everyone else enjoyed sticking our heads under the turquoise blue, clean waterfalls. Some of us did hike a little bit up the creek to visit some other pools too. This ended up being a really relaxing part of the trip, and everyone who wanted to was able to just lounge in the comfortable water for a few hours. I would love to return one day and do the traditional hike in from Supai past the larger waterfalls, since just like everywhere else in the canyon there is so much to see.

After everyone got their fill of swimming we did the 1 mile hike back to the boats. Getting on was a little bit more difficult than deboarding, but everyone made it without incident and we set off. The afternoon consisted of a few more rapids and another quick rest stop before hitting the biggest drop on the entire route, Lava Falls. It apparently has quite the reputation in the river rafting space, but our guides explained that there is really only one treacherous part: a massive hole with a reputation for folding boats in half. I had a front row seat as we navigated safely around it, and the rest of the stretch was pretty standard for a large rapid. And just like that, the whitewater portion of our trip was complete! It was another 20 or 30 minutes of gentle water until we reached our final campsite. For the last time we completely unloaded the boats and set up our beds.

For the last night, we had a special dinner consisting of steaks, mashed potatoes, and green beans. The guides did a great job cooking as always, and as we circled around to eat the trip lead had a surprise for us. She told us how since we had run Lava Falls, we were officially considered Royal River Rats, a term inspired by Georgie White, one of the first women to run commercial rafting trips. She also handed out small gold rat pins for us to wear on our hats during future rafting trips. It was a really cool, unexpected souvenir and a fun way to end the night. A few of us stayed up pretty late, since it was also the last chance to empty the beer chest we loaded up on day one. Luckily the two German guys on the trip helped a lot.

Daylight rolls around and sadly it's the last time I'll be waking up on a cot beneath a clear sky for a while. We load things up a little differently this time, with the sleeping bags and blankets all going in a few big dirty laundry bags, and our packs going right on top of the boats. Breakfast was a quick cereal and oatmeal, since unlike the previous days today we actually had a deadline to meet. About 1 mile downriver was the helipad for us to get back to the real world. Everyone said goodbye before setting off, since once we get there the flying process happens quickly. After a gentle ride we spot one of the helicopters flying into the canyon with other rafters who will be taking our spot on the boats. The rafts beach and we all unload our stuff, and by chance I'm on the first ride out.

The mini-tour from the helicopter was a beautiful ride. It takes about 15 minutes to take us to the Bar 10 Ranch, a small resort in the desert with its own small airport. We get to the ranch around 8:15 and have plenty of time to shower before my 8:45 flight back to Marble Canyon and my car. As much fun as I had getting adjusted to the sand, I really did miss the feeling of being clean. Our plane was a single prop, 12 person plane, and I was the fortunate one who got to ride co-pilot. We could see most of what we just rafter over 5 days from the air during our 1 hour flight. After getting some amazing pictures, I walked the 50 feet from the plane to the parking lot and was finally back where I started.

No time to waste, I put my stuff in the trunk and started the long drive back to Phoenix. I'll be staying one night in Scottsdale before flying to LAX to start the actual ABD portion of the vacation, but before that, I have one more big stop to hit. Halfway between Marble Canyon and the Phoenix area is Walnut Canyon National Monument, home to some amazing stone houses built into the cliffs by Native Americans about 900 years ago. The homes were designed incredibly well, with good ventilation that cooled the occupants in the summer and allowed them to build fires inside during the winter and drainage systems to help collect the snowmelt for drinking. It's a great place to stop if you're making the drive from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon or back and want to break the trip in half. Flagstaff also has a nice little downtown if you'd like to do some shopping or grab some food. Before stopping I also ate lunch at the Timberline Tavern, a roadside bar along Highway 89 with some great sandwiches and cheap beer, would definitely recommend if you don't feel like dealing with downtown and just need food. Seeing the National Monument only took around 90 minutes in total, including the loop with all the cliffside houses and a few observation points.

I pulled into my hotel right around 5 pm, managing to avoid any rush hour traffic. I was staying 1 night at the Courtyard Scottsdale Old Town. The hotel itself was clean and pretty standard, but the location is great, only 3 blocks from the restaurant and bar district. I took a few hours to wash my hiking clothes (there is probably still sand on that laundry room floor today) and swim in the pool before grabbing food. I chose Cien Agaves Tacos and Tequilas for dinner and enjoyed to tasty fish tacos and two huge mango margaritas. Another place I have no problem recommending if you're in the area. One last stop before heading to bed was Unbaked, a little store that serves safe to eat raw cookie dough and milkshakes. After 9 crazy days, I feel like I earned the double chocolate shake I got. Finally it was off to bed!

Tomorrow, the Adventures by Disney trip actually begins! Thank you everyone for continuing to read the reports that don't actually have anything to do with ABD. My next post will be what these boards are all about.

I want to give one more plug for the rafting company I used, Arizona River Runners. They aren't sponsoring me and I paid full price for the trip, they are just that good at what they do that they've earned a customer for life.
https://raftarizona.com/

I would also like to shout out our trip lead Erica. In addition to rafting trips, she sells art at some of the galleries in Flagstaff. Here's her website: https://www.reframinglife.com/

Day 10: Arriving in Hollywood! ABD Day 1

Well today is finally the day! Heading from Scottsdale to the Phoenix airport, flying to LA, and starting the actual Adventures by Disney trip. My flight was a bit later in the day, so I was able to start out sleeping in. Normally the advice is to arrive for your ABD a day early, but I figured that Phoenix is close enough to Los Angeles that I could figure out a way there if something happened to my original flight. After packing up but before checking out, I walked across the street to US Egg Scottsdale, a local diner chain in the area. I ordered the chicken and waffles, a huge breakfast platter that came with 3 chicken strips, a waffle, two eggs, and a side of sausage gravy, plus some orange juice to drink. That platter might be a bit extreme for early in the day, but I figured my step counts would be high enough over the next week. Finishing up, I grabbed my luggage and rental car and hit the road. While probably not necessary, I did also stop at a car wash to get some of the dust off. This trip was my second time renting with Turo, which was a pretty easy process and saved around $350 over the next cheapest rental agency. I also filled up the tank before dropping it back at the same off-site lot I picked it up at.

Taking the bus back to the terminal took no time at all and neither check-in nor security had much of a line. I was still very full from breakfast, so I filled up my water bottle and waited around for my flight. Everything was on time and I enjoyed my aisle seat for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, no delays getting into LAX. Unfortunately the same couldn't have been said for baggage claim, where I did have to wait an hour for our suitcases to finally arrive. You know it's gonna be a bad time when the two flights before yours are still waiting when you walk out the door. Luckily I had my noise cancelling headphones and plenty of Youtube to watch on my phone, so it really wasn't that bad. Once the bag did finally come out I gave my driver a call (who was in constant contact with me since the moment I got off the plane) and he pulled the car around (a very nice Mercedes, my first taste of luxury on this trip).

Traffic was pretty good around lunchtime on a Sunday, so it took maybe 30 minutes to get to the Loews Hollywood Hotel, my home for the next two nights. As we pulled up, our first guide was waiting at the curb to meet me. The bellhop grabbed my bags and brought them right up to my room while I went to the little ABD check in area. The guides for this trip were Alyssa and Ralph, two well-seasoned Disneyland cast members who are clearly as passionate about the parks as all of us on the tour. When they're not leading ABD trips, Alyssa is a manager at the Grand Californian and Ralph works behind the scenes for the park's bigger stage shows. I'm sure if you're on these boards then you know how great having these two is going to be over the next 6 days, and I'll be sure to mention them in my future reports. The check in process was easy; Alyssa already had my keys, and they only wanted to confirm if I had any allergies and my lunch choice for the next day. We finished up before 2 pm and dinner was at 5:30, meaning I had some free time.

At this point I did want a little snack to tide my over, so I ventured into Hollywood and walked to the nearest In-N-Out. I only ate there twice this entire trip, which is pretty good for me spending two weeks on the west coast. I grabbed an animal style single and ate it while checking out Hollywood High across the street. School was obviously out but it was neat to see the building. I thought about researching what else was in the area, but I walked back and relaxed at the pool for a few hours before it was time to get ready for dinner.

View from the hotel:

Our group properly met for the first time at the ABD check in desk. It was relatively small for ABD, only 22 or 23 of us in total. And since it was one of the Dis-exclusive trips, Craig and Kylie were also there to join us! It was a mostly adults trip, but we did have one kid with his dad and a teenager with his mom. There were several other couples, a group of friends who had gone on other ABDs before, and I believe I was the only solo traveller (which just like the rafting I was totally prepared for and comfortable with). We all took the elevators up to the top floor of the hotel where the guides had a private dinner waiting. They properly introduced themselves and we played a little bit of Disney trivia with our tablemates to break the ice (which my table won 😎). A few people have done this specific ABD before, but almost all of us were completely new, so the guides also explained things like our schedule and the luggage service. After all that it was time for dinner, a small buffet with steak, chicken, mac n cheese, potatoes, and sauteed veggies. The meal also included soft drinks, beer, and wine for anyone who wanted it. They also brought out quite a nice dessert spread with slices of cake, cookies, and other individual pieces.

bm0710222 2022-07-10-0000.jpg
bm0710222 2022-07-10-0003.jpg

bm0710222 2022-07-10-0001.jpg
bm0710222 2022-07-10-0004.jpg

After dinner, we had a short break before meeting in the lobby for the evening's activity. The group headed across the street to the El Capitan Theater for a special showing of Thor: Love and Thunder, complete with a live organist and laser preshow. ABD took care of snacks and sodas for anyone who wanted them, and the theater lobby had some original props and costumes from the movie. While there isn't an activity listed online for the first evening, I believe the guides usually try to organize a movie night if the schedule allows for it. These theaters host a lot of premieres in addition to normal showings, so it's not always possible. Almost everyone joined us, and it was actually great timing because I had fallen behind on seeing the marvel movies in theaters. I really enjoyed it the movie, both for the setting and the actual film, and afterwards we walked back together before our early start the next day.

bm0710222 2022-07-10-0021.jpg

Day 11: Theaters and Studios, ABD Day 2

Today marks our first full day with ABD and I was excited! The guides already made a great first impression, and the Loews Hollywood is a fantastic hotel (regardless of what you might think of the neighborhood). For breakfast, we had a private room set up in the back of Preston's restaurant and access to a full buffet and omelette station. I showed up towards the end of the time, so most people had already eaten and gone back to grab things from their rooms, but I still had plenty of time to enjoy the wide selection. Normally I don't bother with expensive hotel breakfasts, so this was a nice change of pace. Afterwards we met up in the lobby for our first activity of the day!

The first stop was just across the street for a backstage tour of the El Capitan theater (where we saw Thor last night). Once the largest live-action theater in Hollywood, it was converted to show movies in 1941 and hosted the premier of Orson Welles's Citizen Kane. Over the years it was changes and slowly lost some of the original design elements until 1989, when Disney decided to restore the original 1926 look as best as possible while still allowing for modern visuals and sound. It's also home to a 2500 pipe Wurlitzer organ that plays in-between movies on weekend showings. The backstage tour included seeing the organ pipe rooms, green rooms, dressing rooms, and the organ in its understage location.
Disney has hosted most of their movie premiers since 1991 at this theater, so they had quite a collection of memorabilia and signatures in the backstage area. Although it's been converted to mainly host movies, the curtain system is still operational and able to accomodate stage plays. Overall a very interesting tour.
bm0710222 2022-07-11-0003.jpg

bm0710222 2022-07-11-0001.jpg

Right after our first tour ended, our second one began at the TCL Chinese Theater, famously known for having celebrity handprints all around the entrance courtyard and as the inspiration for the Great Movie Ride/Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway entrances. Since this was purpose-built as a movie theater, there weren't really any backstage areas to see, but the lobby is filled with movie props and original artwork that are worth taking some time to appreciate. We also watched a quick movie about the huge renovation they did to increase the size of both the seats and screen. When we were done the guides also offered to take pictures with any of the handprints we wanted to see. And to answer the most important question, why the Chinese theme? The original designer just liked it, no other reason.

bm0710222 2022-07-11-0014.jpg

After pictures were done we walked back to the hotel to board our bus to Henson Studios! It's actually only a few blocks away from the theaters, but having the bus lets everyone put their stuff down and grab a drink of water. Another shout out to the guides for always having bottles of water and snacks available, especially on the hotter days. Henson Studios was originally opened in 1919 as Charlie Chaplin's studio, where he filmed many of his own movies. While it started as an outdoor lot, he soon built two indoor stages in addition to the offices and film processing areas. The studio was later owned by CBS and A&M records before the Henson Company bought it in 2000. Today the two filming stages are mostly rented out, however the other buildings on campus are home to their corporate offices, puppet building shops, and digital puppeteering areas. The tour started off with a quick movie showing the history, then a visit to Brian Henson's office (which has all the memorabilia you can imagine). After that we walked over to their archives building, home to all of their awards and more artifacts and memorabilia. Here we all had the chance for a photo with an Emmy and Kermit the Frog before heading to the puppetry building. There one of the puppeteers showed off a few examples of physical work they still do, then a very cool demo of digital puppets that they are continuously working on. The system uses special gloves and pedals hooked up to video game software which allows the user to animate characters in real time. A few of us even got to try the technology!

bm0710222 2022-07-11-0023.jpg

bm0710222 2022-07-11-0073.jpg

Last but not least, we were invited over to their gift shop and cafe for some snacks (included) and the chance to buy some exclusive Henson merch. On the way over there, Lisa Henson (the current CEO) happened to be walking out of her office and offered to take a photo with the group! She was great and we let her know that the tour guides were doing a fantastic job. At both theaters and the studios we had guides from those places join our group to show us around (also known as step-on guides), and they were all great/knowledgeable about the places. After our impromptu meet and greet we did have a few snacks before heading back to the bus. Waiting in our seats were a few surprise gifts from both Henson and Dreams Unlimited, so thank you to everyone who made those happen!

bm0710222 2022-07-11-0037.jpg

Next on the agenda was lunch at the Tam O'Shanter. Aside from being a well-known restaurant for many years in Hollywood, the Tam was also a favorite of Walt's original imagineers when they were developing the plans for Disneyland. We had a private room in the back of the restaurant and were joined by a few special guests, Disney Legend Floyd Normal and Imagineer Tania Norris. There was also a representative from Walt's train barn, which unfortunately was closed for some roofing work while our trip was going on, but he invited everyone to come visit next time we were in the area. Our guests introduced themselves and joined us for lunch, where they were happy to chat and answer questions. I had the prime rib (the Tam's signature dish). Before we left, each group got a photo in Walt's favorite booth in the restaurant. It was a really great time and a good way to combine a resting meal with some Disney history.

bm0710222 2022-07-11-0043.jpg

bm0710222 2022-07-11-0085.jpg

I believe Walt's barn and the Griffith Park Carousel would normally be the afternoon's activities, but since the barn was being refurbished and the carousel hasn't reopened since 2020, we instead went to the Academy Museum. Some of you may remember this as the temporary alternative to Imagineering before they allowed visitors again, which thankfully was not the case on this trip. I do really want to see the barn in the future, but I'm not worried about it because it is a publically available experience. Once we took the bus over to the museum, we had a few hours to explore at our own pace. They had exhibits on animation, prop design, camera work, and different themes shown in film. I don't think I need to go back, but it was a decent way to spend the afternoon. This was our last official stop of the day, but once we got back to Hollywood the guides treated anyone who wanted it to dessert at the Ghirardelli Ice Cream shop. It was a great chance to get to know both the guides and other adventurers after a long day out.

Dinner was on our own tonight, and since we didn't finish our early dessert until 5 pm not many people were that hungry. Alyssa and Ralph weren't the biggest fans of Hollywood so they suggested room service or getting something delivered to the hotel. I went to Cho-Oishi for sushi and some drinks. It was good enough but nothing special. If you feel like a good meal, I would probably use this night to take a cab over to Koreatown or West Los Angeles, since it's the last real on your own time in LA before we transfer to Anaheim. It's also the last night in the Loews hotel, so you also need to budget a little bit of time to pack. After dinner I stopped in Sephora to get some things I needed, then went up to the room to relax before bed. Tomorrow is going to be a long day in the best possible way!

To be honest, this was the day I was least looking forward to before the trip began. I'm not a huge fan of the Muppets or any other Henson property, and the theaters were cool but definitely not the main attraction of the trip. With that said, I'm still very happy I went along with all the activities. Henson Studios has appeal for history, technology (me), and pop culture fans, and lunch was a great, unique opportunity to experience something that was part of Walt's everyday life. If they do the Academy Museum again though, I might skip that in exchange for the Art Museum or Tar Pits next door. Definitely do it once, then decide for yourself if you'd like to go back. Tomorrow, on the other hand, was the day I'm most excited about: The Disney Studios and Imagineering!

A few more photos:

Last edited:
Thanks for another great chapter. We did go and see Walt’s Barn after the tour and it was an amazing experience. Hopefully the carousel will reopen sometime in the future. We enjoyed seeing it the first time we did this tour.

Day 12: The Big One

We've finally arrived on what most people consider the highlight of this trip: the Walt Disney Studios, Imagineering, and moving to Disneyland! As someone who has worked in attractions and engineering before, this was definitely the day I was looking forward to the most before the trip began. It was also going to be my first time staying on-site at Disneyland.

Before we even get to breakfast, we had out luggage packed and waiting just inside the door at 7 am. Make sure you have your bags packed and organized the night before, since you won't be able to access your checked items until arriving at Grand Californian. I personally was still in bed when I heard a bellman pop in and grab my suitcase. Breakfast was available from 7 to 8 again in the same private room. Again I personally wouldn't pay for it on my own, but being included I really appreciate the option.

We met in the lobby around 8:20 to head to the Disney Studios! It was maybe a 30 minute ride through the Hollywood hills to the entrance. Upon walking in, we were split into two groups to make the tours a little bit easier. My half of the group went into the archives first. For anyone who may not know, the Disney archives contain historic artifacts going all the way from Walt's childhood to today, and the historians working there set up displays in the front room for employees and tours like ours to come see. This time around they had props from the 1937 premier of Snow White and a collection of Disney toys from the 1940s (ish?).

Those were pretty cool, especially to people who were huge fans of the movie. As we were looking around, our guide Ralph disappeared for a minute before returning with an Oscar! He took everyone's pictures with the trophy, then we made our way back outside to swap with the other group. And to be honest, I cannot remember exactly which trophy it was. I believe it was the 1958 Best Documentary for White Wilderness, but I'm not 100% sure.
bm0710222 2022-07-12-0006.jpg

Heading outside, we met up with our other guide Alyssa and walked across the street to Legends Plaza. This was really just free time to explore and take pictures with all the legend awards. It's also home to the only partners statue which isn't surrounded by a fence, so we each got another unique photo op. There isn't honestly that much to do here, though people who work at the studios can bring their lunches out here during the day.
bm0710222 2022-07-12-0072.jpg

Once both groups finished up, we did a nice walking tour around the studios. None of the buildings were open for us that day, but our guides pointed out things like Walt's office, screening theaters, sound stages, and explained what buildings were originally used for vs today. It was a nice walk and the weather was perfect for it. After the tour, we all got a coupon for lunch at the commissary and had time to shop at the studio store. For lunch I had a burrito and some soup; it was tasty. They sometimes have Walt's chili recipe available on the soup bar, but not the day we were there. The Studio Store is divided into two parts. The front section is basically the same as a normal Disney Store, while the back is home to employee exclusive merch. I did my fair share of shopping this day, with another great opportunity later.
bm0710222 2022-07-12-0012.jpg

Once everyone was fed and satisfied with their purchases, we got back on the bus and set off for Imagineering. It was maybe a 15 minute ride before we pulled up at what from the outside look like ordinary warehouses or office buildings. But once you get out and walk around the corner, you see the big sign "Walt Disney Imagineering". This is another part of the trip where the guides like to surprise you, and they won't say anything about what we're going to see before we head into the building. I'm going to use spoiler text to give you the option, keeping in mind that these can change every time.

The tour took us through a few different spaces. I'm a little blurry on the order, but in total we saw a software demo for how they create new fireworks shows, one of the sound mixing rooms with about 240 separate channels, a scale model of Galaxy's Edge in WDW, a private viewing of the MArty Sklar collection they showcased at D23, and we went inside the sculpture room, where Imagineers make scale models of everything from movie characters to ride animatronics. It also houses the original marble sculptures from Snow White's grotto in Disneyland.

After walking through all these amazing places, we ended up at Mickey's of Glendale, the Imagineering exclusive store. This is where you can find some great merchandise for specific attractions or items that are Imagineering branded, and these aren't sold anywhere else. Between here and the Studios I spent a good amount of money, but now I have some of the coolest shirts to wear through the parks!

After spending pretty much the whole day walking, we got back on the bus for the long drive to Disneyland. In our case it actually wasn't that bad, maybe just over an hour. The guides played a movie but I honestly don't think I even looked up at it. I put my earbuds in and zoned out the whole way there. Our guide Alyssa passed out snacks and water during the trip, and this is also when we got our Disneyland tickets. Pro-tip: add them to the app so you can see your reservations and remaining lightning lane passes over the following days. Most of our tickets were missing reservations the first night, and we were able to add them ourselves in a minute rather than waiting for the guides.

Once the bus pulled up to the Grand Cal, our guides handed out room keys and we had some time to freshen up. Bell staff handled the luggage and it arrived upstairs in about 15 minutes. Dinner was at Storyteller's Cafe, and I personally think this is a great choice. Most of the group ate quickly and were off into the parks. I personally took my time since the food was pretty good, but I made my way into California Adventure and right to the Radiator Springs Racers Single rider line! This is one of the best cheat codes in the park. You rarely wait more than 20 minutes and don't miss anything like pre-shows. This day we had 2 lightning lanes: one for Haunted Mansion, and one for any ride except Rise of the Resistance. I used my first pass on Guardians, then went over to Disneyland.

Our last group activity was reserved viewing for the Mainstreet Electrical Parade and fireworks. It was a great spot for the parade, right on the edge of the hub. Fireworks were unfortunately cancelled that night, and we were off on our own until the next morning. A group of us got Mint Julips, used out Haunted Mansion lightning lanes, and got on a few more attractions before heading back to the hotel. Our next day was a 6 am start time!
More Photos:

Really enjoying the trip report and fun seeing Ralph—we had him on our China trip. Loved Backstage Magic. So far it sounds like not much has changed since we did it, which is a good thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter