Summary Reviews of Dining 11/8-11/13

DisneyHardin

DIS Veteran
I am not one to take pictures of my food, so I don’t have enough details to do a cool Dining Review. But I still always enjoy reading about people’s experiences at restaurants, so I thought I would do a brief review of where we ate on our trip.

After I got it all typed out, I realize now that this isn't a "brief" review. Hopefully it isn't too long!!

We were at Disney Nov 8-13 on the dining plan and staying at the Polynesian.

Nov. 8 – Arrival Day – Epcot

Electric Umbrella - Lunch

After getting checked in at the hotel we got to Epcot about noon and were very hungry. DH is a plain, boring eater, so we had lunch at Electric Umbrella. He had the bacon cheese burger and I had the burger with the brisket on it. The meat was pretty good, but the buns were cold and not great. I had the chocolate cupcake and he had the strawberry cheesecake for desert. They were okay. I will be glad next year when they do away with the QS desert in exchange for a snack. This is not a place we would have ordered a desert if it hadn’t come with the plan.

Biergarten – Dinner

DH loves Biergarten, so we had an ADR at 7:30. We were tired and I tried to check in at 6:30 and be seated early, but were told no that we could not check in until at least 7:15. We were seated quickly. The food was good, but not great. The macaroni and cheese was the best thing. The pretzel rolls were very good. Everything else was fine, but not memorable. Our server was very efficient.

Nov 9 – Magic Kingdom

Capn’ Cooks – Breakfast

We wanted to get to MK by the 8 AM opening, so I went to Cooks and got DH a breakfast burrito and me a bagel with cream cheese to eat in the room before heading out. DH said his burrito was very good. At 7 AM, the restaurant was empty and so I got the food very quickly.

Be Our Guest – Lunch

We have eaten here several times and really enjoyed the Roast Beef Sandwich. This time it was a disappointment. It is now being served cold and I didn’t think it was very good. DH still really liked it. The fries here were great. DH had the strawberry cupcake and loved it. I had the chocolate cream puff and it was okay – the cupcakes are better, but I wanted to try something new.

Whispering Canyon – Dinner

This was somewhere new for us. I was a little nervous because DH doesn’t like “Antics” and did not enjoy when we ate at 50’s Primetime a few years ago, but it was fine. When we were seated the hostess asked if we wanted to participate and put a red card on our table when we said we didn’t. Our server teased us a little bit for not wanting to participate, but that was it. We both had the skillet and it was so good!!! The cornbread was some of the best sweet cornbread I have ever had. For desert DH had pumpkin cheesecake and he really liked it. I had the chocolate campfire cake and it was so rich and gooey. I loved it.

Nov 10 – Epcot

Capn’ Cooks – Breakfast

Exact same routine as yesterday. I went over and got a cheese Danish for me and breakfast burrito for DH.

Liberty Inn – Lunch

As I said earlier, DH is a boring eater and doesn’t want to try the other places in World Showcase, so we ended up at Liberty Inn for burgers. The burgers we ate here were the best Quick Service burgers we have ever had at Disney. They were served on brioche buns instead of the usual stale Disney buns. I’m not a huge fan of the deserts here. We both picked at the Rocky Road brownie. I really should have just gotten bottled water to save for later instead of the deserts.

Cape May – Dinner

This is one of our favorites at Disney. We had a 5:00 ADR, so we were seated right away since this is when the restaurant opens. We had a very nice server. The food on the buffet was hot a delicious. I discovered that the cornbread on the buffet tasted just like the fantastic cornbread we had at Whispering Canyon the night before, so I was in Heaven with that. We didn’t eat any deserts from the buffet because we were going to have Ample Hills ice cream later.

ESPN Club, Ample Hills, Abracadabar – Evening

After eating at Cape May we walked over to the Boardwalk area. First we went to ESPN Club and sat at the bar there and had a couple drinks. DH didn’t want ice cream, so he stayed at ESPN and I went next door to Ample Hills to get ice cream. I did the “flight” and it was fun to try the different flavors, but it wasn’t a good bang for your buck. You got about a teaspoon of 6 different flavors and it was $10. A single scoop would have been more ice cream for less money, but just of one flavor. I ate my ice cream outside at a table, but when I went back to ESPN, the bar tender told me I could have brought it in there and eaten at the bar with my husband. After ESPN we went to the new Abracadabar. It was really neat. The theming was wonderful. I had a specialty drink (although I can’t remember which one right now) and DH had a well drink.

Nov 11 – Magic Kingdom Evening for MVMCP

Chef Mickey’s – Breakfast

We really enjoy breakfast here and this trip didn’t disappoint. The restaurant is kind of loud and chaotic with the characters and kids, but we still enjoyed it. The food was good and hot. Even though we don’t have any kids, we still enjoyed the characters. Our server was very good and he offered to take some pictures of DH and I together with the characters.

Oasis Gill – Lunch

After the big breakfast, I wasn’t hungry for lunch, but DH was. He ordered a cheeseburger and fries from the Oasis Grill at the Polynesian. We were surprised when he ordered that they asked him how he would like it cooked, so he was able to get it medium instead of “hockey puck” like many fast food burgers are served. The ordering system here is nice. You go to the window to order, but then they give you a number and you can go back to your lounge chair and your food is delivered to you when it is cooked. DH said the burger was really good.

Columbia Harbor House – Dinner

This is one of our favorite QS places at WDW. We had an early dinner here on the evening we went to the party. The lines weren’t too long. DH had the fish/chicken combo with fries and I had the shrimp plate with fries. Both were very good and served hot. We sat upstairs which is always nice there.

Nov 12 – Disney Springs

T-Rex – Lunch

We skipped breakfast and had an early lunch (about 11 AM) at T-Rex. I had not made an ADR since we are Landry’s Select members, but the restaurant was not on a wait when we arrived, so I didn’t even need my Landry’s card to get seated right away. We were seated in the ice cave. This was our first time at T-Rex and I had read it was loud in there – that was definitely true, but we still could hear each other just fine at the table. No surprise, DH had a burger that he said was great. I had the Paleozoic Chicken Sandwich. It was really good, but should really be called a wrap instead of a sandwich. It was served in a folded Pita and was chopped up chicken, not a large piece of chicken like you expect on a “sandwich.” The fries were the best thing. I told DH if we ever eat there again, I am just going to order a big plate of fries. We were going to try the donuts for desert, but found we were too stuffed from our sandwiches.

‘Ohana – Dinner

This is DH’s absolute favorite restaurant at WDW. This visit didn’t disappoint. We had an ADR for 7:05, but checked in about 6:30 so we could have a drink at the bar. We had only been at the bar a few minutes when we were paged to our table. I hear so many horror stories about people waiting an hour or more after their ADR time here, but we have always been seated on time or even early. The food was fantastic as always. Our server was not the most efficient, but it wasn’t so bad that it distracted from the meal. Our plate of appetizers just had 3 pot stickers on it, so I asked her right away to bring more. We were brought another plate with probably 10 on it and we ate every single one. The chicken was the best meat of the night. The steak wasn’t as good a usual it was basted in some sort of sauce that sort of tasted like A-1 and really wasn’t that great. The left stuffed!!

Nov 13 – Magic Kingdom and Departure

Capn Cooks – Breakfast

We actually went to the restaurant and ate this morning instead of bringing it back to the room. DH had the same breakfast burrito as before and I had waffles. In the past, the adult waffle plate has been one large Mickey waffle – this year it was 3 of the small ones. They tasted great. Even “dine in” orders at Cooks are now served in cardboard “to go” containers and it made it a little hard to eat the waffles from there – I wish they had just been on a plate.

Sleepy Hollow – Snack

DH saw the sign for the pretzel wrapped sausage and really wanted to try it. I wanted to try the chicken waffle, but wasn’t really hungry enough for something that big. So, I got the Nutella and fruit one. I am picky about fruit, so I just had them put bananas on mine. DH said the pretzel was so good. The waffle was delicious, but messy to eat.

Be Our Guest – Lunch

We had another lunch ADR at BOG. After not liking the roast beef sandwich on Wednesday, I changed my order to the turkey sandwich, but DH stuck with the roast beef. The turkey was great. I will definitely get it again if they keep serving the beef cold. We wait a considerably longer time for our food on this visit than we ever have before. There must have been a backup in the kitchen. DH had the strawberry cupcake again and I had the Masters Cupcake. It was delicious.

I hope you have enjoyed my reviews. Feel free to ask any questions about the places we ate.

I enjoyed reading your recap! Still haven't been able to talk my family into BOG--they just don't find the menu appealing.

Your comments about your desserts is one of the reasons we don't participate in the dining plan. We would rather have a wider choice of dessert, if we even want one, instead of having to take the pretty dismal choices available at QS places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter