Suggestions for spectators for Jan WDW Marathon please!

UMTerp

DIS Veteran
This is our first experience with a marathon. DD is running. The rest of the family would like to watch at different places along the route. The problem is that I don't know how to plan where to go, when, and how. We will be staying on property at Caribbean Beach Resort. I saw a thread about the 1/2 marathon but nothing on the full. Please point me in the right direction if I missed an existing thread. Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide!

UMTerp

How fast will your daughter be running. An easy option would be to go to the start when she leaves to go back to the corrals take the monorail to the TTC, chear for her there at Nike 4 walk to the poly and cheer for her at mile 7.5, go into the poly get a nice breakfast at captain cooks then take the monorail to Epcot to cheer around the finish. You might be able to try and take the bus from Poly to Ak it’s around 7 miles away from the Poly. I’d then take a bus from there to beach club and try and walk through it to see here. Depending on how fast she is that extra stop may add a lot of complexity.

Here's the Marathon Weekend Thread! (LINK)

Do you know what corral DD will be running in? What is DD's planned pace? I can use these things to estimate where on the course she will be at what time of day. That'll help guide where you could find DD timing wise.

Corral Info

https://secure.parksandresorts.wdpr...018/2018_WDWM_Corral_Assignments_Marathon.pdf

Waiver Info (see Bib# at bottom of waiver to determine corral info)

https://www.trackshackresults.com/disneysports/waivers/wavr18wdw/verify.php

Then knowing pace and start time, I make something like this (which is an estimate and nothing official):

Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 11.50.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 11.50.53 AM.png

That's time of day for me to arrive at different WDW milestones as an example.

You can find the description of how to use this info here (link).

Here's the Marathon Weekend Thread! (LINK)

Do you know what corral DD will be running in? What is DD's planned pace? I can use these things to estimate where on the course she will be at what time of day. That'll help guide where you could find DD timing wise.

Thank you! DD signed up a day too late to enter her previous time, so she will be in the last corral? She has not run a marathon before but ran a 1/2 in less than 2 hours this fall.
This is all new to us so I appreciate the help!

Also, I didn't know if the information listed in the 1/2 marathon thread would also apply to the full marathon.

Thanks!

UMTerp

DD signed up a day too late to enter her previous time, so she will be in the last corral?

Can't say definitively. But if you enter DD's last name and birthdate into the waiver link I posted above, then you can find her bib #. This will tell you exactly what corral DD will be in. As for placement, depending on when DD signed up she may or may not end up there. Sometimes people who sign up after the POT deadline, but still have a POT before the deadline get placed appropriately. If there's a possible error, it's possible to go to Runners Relations at the expo and get a corral change. It's a low probability, but it might happen dependent on special circumstances.

She has not run a marathon before but ran a 1/2 in less than 2 hours this fall.

Depending on when DD signed up for the marathon, a 1/2 in the fall (before October 2nd) could have been used as a POT. It just depends on your circumstances.

Also, I didn't know if the information listed in the 1/2 marathon thread would also apply to the full marathon.

The Marathon Weekend Thread I posted covers all races that weekend from the 5k to Kids races to the Dopey and everything between. The other thread that @camaker linked also has useful information for spectators as well.

Once you know the current corral assignment and planned pace, then I can provide a more detailed timeline.

Thank you DopeyBadger. She is in Orlando now for the VT football game so I might not be able to get back to you with this information for a few days.

[QUOTE="DopeyBadger,

Once you know the current corral assignment and planned pace, then I can provide a more detailed timeline.[/QUOTE]

Hello DopeyBadger!

Sorry for the delay in getting this information. Her 1/2 marathon time was 2 hours 3 minutes. Not sure how this would translate to pace time for a marathon. She has been training.
Her bib number is 7958 so it looks like she is in corral F.

Her name is Ashlyn and will be wearing a Mike Wazowski costume if you would like to add her to your chart.

Thank you for any information you can provide! I really appreciate it!

UMTerp

Last edited:
HI UMTerp,

Sorry for the delay in getting this information. Her 1/2 marathon time was 2 hours 3 minutes. Not sure how this would translate to pace time for a marathon. She has been training.
Her bib number is 7958 so it looks like she is in corral F.

I'm guessing since you don't know what her planned marathon pace is, that this might be her first. A 2:03 HM translates to a race equivalent 4:17 marathon.

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 3.33.54 PM.png

But that's fairly unlikely to hit in your first marathon, unless you are on a very high improvement rate. I'd venture to guess it'll be more like +30 minutes, so a 4:45 (and this is if DD plans to run throughout and not take advantage of some of the perks of the Disney marathon like characters and riding theme park rides). I'll provide both cases on the estimates:

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 3.37.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 3.38.03 PM.png

She is projected to start at 6:04am. The ideal viewing locations in the beginning are either TTC or MK Main Street. She is projected to hit TTC at 6:43-6:47am. The last spectator bus to the start line is at 5am. So you should have plenty of time to catch the final spectator bus from Caribbean Beach to EPCOT (you can also take an uber/taxi to TTC or MK). Get on the Monorail at EPCOT and ride to TTC. TTC is a nice spot because it's easier to spot your runner.

She is projected to arrive at MK Main Street at 6:54-7:00. There is very unlikely enough time to see her at TTC and MK. MK Main Street is an iconic place to view your runner, but it is much tougher to spot your individual runner unless you have a good plan in place (stay to a certain side of the road, text ahead of time, etc.).

She is projected to hit the Polynesian (or cone alley as known to runners) around 7:18-7:26. So, like @IamTrike suggested at the beginning you could do TTC and then walk over to Poly.

The only other common location to view marathon runners is outside the AK entrance. She is projected to arrive there between 8:21-8:36. Since the park opens at 9am, the bus from Poly should be running to AK. So you could see her at Poly and then head over to AK using the bus system which should start running sometime around 7:30-8:15am dependent on whether there are early buses for breakfast at AK (you could ask your own hotel on that morning when the bus system starts to confirm timing).

Then head from AK to ECPOT. There should be a bus that goes between the two parks by 8:21-8:36. Since her finish projection is 10:20-10:50am, then you have enough time. If you have park tickets to EPCOT, then you could either view DD inside the park or outside the park at the finish line. Just depends on what kind of experience you want. Last moments of her run, or congrats at the finish line.

So timing wise, it seems like a TTC -> Poly -> AK -> EPCOT is a reasonable viewing pattern if you desire to see DD multiple times.

If you sign up for runner tracking (link), then you can receive alerts when she hits the timing mats. I've highlighted in blue when I estimate she will hit those mats. You can use the runner tracking and my estimates to calibrate the timing I've provided here. For instance, if she hits the 5 mile mat at 6:50am, then subtract 3 min from future projections on the top row. If she crossed the 5 mile mat at 7am, then add 7 min. Watch the "estimated finish" in runner tracking as well to see how closely it tracks with mine to figure a good estimate when she should arrive where.

Hope this helps!

[QUOTE="DopeyBadger[/QUOTE] I can't thank you enough for all of this information! I will review with DD and see what she thinks she will want to do regarding characters, etc.

You are the best!

UMTerp

Sorry I am so long replying. We all got sick after our trip.
I can't thank all of you enough for your helpful information that made it possible for us to see our daughter 3 times during her first marathon!
Without this information we would have been totally lost!
Special thanks to @DopeyBadger ! Your chart was invaluable!
She finished with a time of 4:41!

Thank you so much everyone!
UMTerp

Sorry I am so long replying. We all got sick after our trip.
I can't thank all of you enough for your helpful information that made it possible for us to see our daughter 3 times during her first marathon!
Without this information we would have been totally lost!
Special thanks to @DopeyBadger ! Your chart was invaluable!
She finished with a time of 4:41!

Thank you so much everyone!
UMTerp

Happy to hear it went so well! Looks like I nailed that guess time of 4:45 almost spot on! Congrats on her first marathon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter