Suggestions for ON the plane

Brady's Mom

Get off the roof, get off the roof!
We are taking our family to DLR in one month. We are flying this time, we usually drive. Flying from Utah to Burbank. It's a 1 hour 45 min. flight. I haven't flown with little kids in a really long time. Any suggestions for my DS's 5 and 3 for on the plane. We fly over Vegas, so that's fun to see and when we fly to SNA you can see the Matterhorn and ToT from the plane. Any suggestions would be Great. Also, it's a secret! :woohoo: so don't tell. And keeping it from DS 11 is getting harder and harder every day. :lmao: Oh yeah, and even worse, my kids are out of school the day before we leave :confused3 can you believe it??!

That's a short flight, so I wouldn't worry about planning too much (we just flew 6 1/2 hours to Hawaii with a very active 22 mo old, after getting delayed for 9 1/2 hours in the Oakland airport!!!!, so this seems like a piece of cake). I'd pack some small surprises, maybe Disney related, that they can't open til you're in the air. Portable DVD players might help your kids. Gum or chewy candy for the take off and landing. Snacks for the plane. It's such a short flight I think you'll be fine.

With such a short flight, you should think about the flight in chunks. Taxiing, taking off, waiting to get to altitude and when they allow you to turn on your DVD players and videogames. Then there's the possibility of undoing seatbelts and going to the bathroom, and beverage service. They come back through if you want anything else, then you're on descent, then final descent, and then you're landing. :) There's not much time in there for kids to get bored. :rotfl:

BUT I do think you want things planned for the trip back home, especially the wait at the airport! SNA was very pleasant for my long wait (Super Shuttle got me there WAY too early, since they were 30 minutes early and even the 2 hours early would have been too long for my flight, which was then delayed over an hour), with lots of room to roam, but at that point I can see where portable DVD players, little card games, and such would be really handy.

So then you might as well bring those on the plane to Anaheim. :)

Bring snacks (more for fun and entertainment than nourishment on such a short flight), a portable DVD player if you have one or can borrow one, and sticker books (lots of Disney choices out there). Have fun!

I flew with my Dni5 and Dne5 last year to Orlando, they loved the whole thing!! But just in case, we went to the dollar store and bought lots of little games, coloring books, stickers, etc so they could be occupied during the waits in the airport more than anything else....and the drive from airport to/from WDW. We also used "earplanes" for them and they had no trouble with ears popping (advice I got from the DIS:thumbsup2 ). Portable DVD is a great idea, and especially the chewing gum. The kids aren't usually allowed gum, so this was a really special treat.....they had a blast just trying to blow bubbles! Kids at that age are so excited and interested in everything that is new! Good luck!!

We always use earplanes as well. DS brings his Video Now and Leapster and some color books. Between that and snacks it keeps him occupied.

Last year we just took a portable DVD player, books, a doll to dress. This year I am just taking her Leap Pad with books and her V-smile video game. She is 4 and I know those will keep her occupied just fine. Our's is a 3 hour flight.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! for all of your great suggestions. :love: I couldn't decide whether our portable DVD player was worth it to bring for such a short flight. I think I might, just in case. Besides, its nice at the hotel for an hour or so of "chillin" when everyone is tired. I can't wait to go and am a "super planner" so its nice to get all of the little details out of the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter