• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestions for adding yoga into my routine

The Expert

Has been to every Disney park in the world
I do strength training and would like to add some yoga to my non-running workout days. Anyone have any suggestions for a newbie 45-year-old with limited flexibility who would prefer to do it at home? I've taken a class here and there two or three times total over the last five years or so, but never found one I'm comfortable enough to stick with. Should I suck it up and keep trying to find a class? Or is anyone successfully doing this on their own?

My husband really liked DDP yoga. https://ddpyoga.com/ It's kind of aimed at people who don't fit the traditional yoga demographic, who don't know the lingo, etc. And he liked that it had a schedule, sort of like a training plan, which said what routine to do what day. You Tube has a lot of free yoga options. Some are better than others. I like Yoga with Adrienne and she has a wide variety of routines, some aimed at beginners. https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene There is a Jillian Michael's yoga video on You Tube as well if you want your yoga mixed with more dynamic movement. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jillian+michaels+yoga+meltdown

To add to that, though, the benefit of classes, in my experience, is that 1. you aren't doing the same routine over and over, 2. there is someone there to correct your form if needed, and 3. you'd probably get pushed a little further than if you were doing the classes at home by yourself. :) But finding a good studio/teacher definitely makes a huge difference.

To add to that, though, the benefit of classes, in my experience, is that 1. you aren't doing the same routine over and over, 2. there is someone there to correct your form if needed, and 3. you'd probably get pushed a little further than if you were doing the classes at home by yourself. :) But finding a good studio/teacher definitely makes a huge difference.

I think that's been my issue. I haven't found a good studio/teacher. I definitely don't want to set up any bad habits.

I think that's been my issue. I haven't found a good studio/teacher. I definitely don't want to set up any bad habits.
I'm VERY lucky to have an awesome studio near me. I only found out about it because I was doing free classes at work and one of the teachers from the studio came in to sub for my regular teacher (who I really liked, but she ended up moving away eventually). I thought the sub teacher from the studio was really good, so I checked out the studio and found more good teachers there. In contrast, I had some not-as-good teachers during the free classes at work, so I totally get it.

I wonder if you could search Yelp or something similar to find reviews of teachers in your area? Also, the teachers at my place all seem to have a 200-hour certification, so I guess that might be something to look for. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter