• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestions for 2 families traveling together...

Keep in mind that for first timers, Disney can be amazingly overwhelming. Ask them to make a list of what they want to do and they don't even know where to start. It becomes much easier to say "oh, you make all the plans, you know what you are doing - we will just tag along." And this can work fine if your friends have the same taste as you, the same budget and work at the same pace - and can be difficult if they want thrill rides and your favorite thing is Small World, you want to stay at the Grand Floridian and they are fine off site at the cheapest place they can find, and you want to be at the parks at opening and they are "vacation! we aren't moving before 10am" people.

So start by defining what type of people everyone is in terms of budget, pace and taste.

It might be easier to give them limited choices. "We will be in Epcot this night for dinner, which one of these restaurants would you like to go to?" Or general choices "would you rather spend a day riding thrill rides at MGM, or would you rather spend a day over in the MK doing tamer stuff?" "Would you rather spend an afternoon at the waterpark, or would you rather redo your favorite rides?" "Do you want to do Pleasure Island or Cirque du Soliel or would you like to turn in early?" "Do you want to watch parades, or would you rather see the attractions?"

Also, try to "orient" them over the first couple of days, and then encourage splitting up. Play tourguide on days one an two, by day three they will be familiar with how Fastpass works, how the themeparks are laid out, how to read a map. Or at least, revisit plans as a group a few times during the trip.

Hi I just got back last sunday (june 22) from such a trip with my best friend and her 2 kids ... i have 2 big words ALONE TIME
we are used of traveling just the 3 of us ( me and my 2 kids DD9 DS 6) and my friend , hubby and DS 7 DD 5 travel to DW at least once a year - they just got back at the end of March this year .. so we decided that Mom's and Kids only as a surprise trip.. these kids have been friends since they were born and we live in the same town and go to the same daycare and school - UGH the kids were awful !!! fighting and aruging so much that we closed the doors between the rooms , gave naps and time outs every day! . they just couldn't get a long for anything at least 50% of the time !!!! on Friday eve we did our thing and they did theirs and my kids didn't have any issues !! ( she said her's were way better too!! ) Not trying to discourge you but just wanted to tell our tale.. I felt really frazzled after spending the week yelling out all 4 kids names.. I love my friend and her kids dearly but not so sure I will be doing that again anytime soon.. (our last trip together was when my DD was 3 and DS 5month and her DS was 1.5 and no DD yet! -- Might be another 5-6 years !! ) Ps we are still friends!! oh and the vacation wasn't too ruined by that like i said i just felt frazzled

Michelle

I've skimmed through the previous posts and I agree with everyone. You will definately need alone time with your family. We went with my sister, her husband and two children who were four years older than my oldest back in '96. While we had a lot of fun, we didn't split up until the last day there. It was our first trip to WDW for both families and if I could do it over again, we would have split up every day after the first day. My sister and her family are late risers and we are early. So we hung around until they were ready to go. Consequently, we were exhausted come nightfall and they were still going.

I suggest that maybe you hang together your first day so that they get a feeling for the resort, parks, transportation, etc. Then maybe get together each evening to talk about what you might like to do together and plan accordingly. Since this is their first visit they might like to spend more time in the Magic Kingdon than you. Meeting with them on a daily/nightly basis to talk will let you off the hook and give them an opportunity to help plan their days. You might even plan a day that you only see them at the resort and thats it.

Also remember, the larger the party, the longer it takes to go through the parks, especially if younger children are involved.

Great info! :D We are planning the first ever family vacation with my side of the family. We will have a total of 8 adults and 5 children (ages 2-10). My family have been 3 times, my sis and her family have never been, my bro and his family - once and my parents haven't been since we were children (I think that was 1978) :eek:. We are all staying at the WL but in separate rooms and not requesting ajoining rooms. Probably won't even request rooms in the same area - just luck of the draw - wherever they put us. We've also had many discussions on how we don't have to be around each other 24/7. If one family wants to go to the waterpark and another doesn't - fine - won't hurt anyone's feelings. Hope that will be as easy as it sounds!

Again, thanks for all the great info! :Pinkbounc

For those that have been to WDW before going with others who have never been before, please don't feel like you need to show them everything.
The great thing about WDW is that it is very hard to have a bad time and they may develop some new family traditions of their own instead of adopting yours. I'm thankful for the time we spent apart (as explained in my earlier post) as we bonded as a family and enjoyed the quirky things that others may not appreciate.
Do not feel bad or quilty or responsible for others vacations, even if you are sharing accomodations or if they are your family. You can learn alot about your kids, your DH, and yourself when you travel together as a family away from the stress of everyday life
If you go into it with no expectations of spending time together, you will find that you make time to spend together and it won't be forced or harried and you will enjoy it much more.

Our is with my DD boyfriend and his mom. We already discussed doing stuff without them. I am sure this is going to work out fine. I am really looking forward to it.:Pinkbounc :bounce: :sunny: :earseek: :wave:

Unless you all like the exact same things and the children are very similar in age you may find spliting up your best option. When we went we had 2 children 3yo and 6yo and the people we were traveling with at a not quite 2yo. He was demanding and held us back so we HAD to split up because there was so much we wanted to see and do and this little one was holding us up. Just a thought

Tania

I just returned today - 18 of us met at Disney, ages 2-56. I was the official planner.

Here's what worked.
Day 1 - PS for dinner at Ohana for everyone who had arrived.
Day 2 - no firm plans - some were still arriving from airport, etc. We ended up hanging out at the pool that evening.
Day 3 - CRT in AM for 8, Chef Mickey's for dinner for everyone.
Day 4 - Fantasmic Pkg at H&V for everyone.
Day 5 - Illuminations Boat ride for those who wanted to attend (limit of 12) Several ate at Spoodles beforehand.
Day 6 - We all agreed to go to BB together
Days 7 - 9 we all went to the beach to recover!

Cell phones were invaluable. We'd check in with others and meet up at the parks.

I don't think you can please everyone, and you really can't "make" the magic happen. Instead give each a Passporter, write in the one thing you'll do together each day (dinner works usually), and then let everyone figure out how to spend the rest of their time.

Teens like to swim, babies need naps, tempers get short in the heat. You can't be responsible for everyone's happiness but you can make sure everyone sits down together once a day and enjoys a meal and each other. It worked for us. They all think I'm a genius - but everything I know, I learned from these boards.

Good luck!

We are going on holiday with our neighbours but also meeting other people there.I know that the others want to spend some time apart and also we are in seperate hotels.I just hope the relationship survives the 2 weeks!!!!

Hi Bouncy! I am planning for another family who will be flying in from Israel. Since you have crossed the "pond" to WDW so many times, do you have any advice for me as to how to best plan around their jet lag the first couple of days? The DH is used to traveling around the globe & can cope with it, but the DW & DS's (age 10) are not. I want their first impression to WDW to be good, but I don't want to kill them as they get off of the plane. :rolleyes: Any suggestions?

Polyfan-

You are sooooooo lucky to have this post before you take your trip. Or should I say you are sooooo smart for posting in the first place.

My DH affectionately calls me the Disney Nazi. I love disney and I love to plan Disney trips. Like most people here I enjoy the planning almost as much as the trip itself. I have helped lots of friends, family, co-workers plan their own trips.

This past May for our Big family vacation my dear friend and her husband asked to join us. DH and I agreed. They said to me- "You plan just tell us where to be and what time." I tried to have a few planning sessions with them- "No" they said, "That's why we want to go with you- we don't want to have to worry about it." It tried dozens of times to talk to them about their preferences from resorts to attractions to dining- "N0" they said "You plan it- we will love it"

So I planned for 6 months. Touring plan after touring plan was discarded until I had the perfect plan. It had been tweaked until it was perfect. I had to sit back and admire my handiwork. There was nothing left to be improved upon. It was so beautiful it brought tears to your eyes. I tried to share it with the friends before we left. "No" they said "You're in charge!"

The first day they started a mutiny and even recruited my DH. Wanted to walk out of MGM at 8:50pm 10 MINUTES BEFORE FANTASMIC when we are in spitting distance from the entrance to Fantasmic and there are seats left. DF says "Can't we just do Fantasmic another night?" I vehemently explained to them the lunacy of this proposition and we saw Fantasmic. DF did not appreciate it at all, pouting I assume.

The next day they blew my touring plan to he!! and back and it was never fully recovered for the rest of the trip. These people who had never wanted to discuss my plan before we left couldn't stop giving me input about it once we got there. Why didn't we stay there? Why aren't we eating there. Why do we have to do a Character breakfast there can't we do a lunch instead? We don't want to get up early anymore can't we sleep in- whats the big deal about EE? I don't want to do BB on Sat lets go there on Wed. We really don't want to see Walt One Man's Dream were going to shop instead. At this blastphemy- I through up my hands in disgust with them (figuratively) and me and my family saw the attraction.

The trip was not all bad- we did have alot of fun. I know you probably don't believe me from reading what I've typed thus far :) But it was not what I had planned and I did not have the close togetherness with my own little family that I am used to. They also slowed us down. My family probably would have seen @ 50% more if we had been by ourselves. I had to make my peace with this early on in the trip, or it would have been a disaster.

Our friends are already talking about "Our" trip next year- God help me! I have not decided yet if I am willing to do that. IF I do these are the 3 things I will do differently-

1. I will give them a copy of my plan whether they want it beforehand or not! My plan will clearly state that my group will follow the plan- the other family can opt out- but the plan stays intact.

2. Plenty of alone time where the families each do their own thing.

3. We take turns with our friends babysitting all the kids for some alone time with your spouse.

I really hope you are able to use some of the information in these posts to make your trip a good one. I wish I had seen it, it may have saved me alot of stress!!!!

Oh Cindy that is exactly what just happened to me.. Didnt' ruin the vacation but it wasn't what I was used to !!! glad there are others out there with this same type of experience.. Michelle

Cindy - re jetlag...

we find that the first few days we are up very early (like 5am!) and ready and raring to go as soon as the parks open, but by 3pm we are really starting to flag and we need to just go back to the hotel and chill out for a few hours. Sometimes we get a 2nd wind later, and sometimes we don't.

We tend to stay off-site, so we usually get up when we wake up, and go someplace that's open all night or very early for a big breakfast (like Perkins, Ponderosa etc), and then get to a park nice and early.

it only really lasts a couple of days and then we are just waking up comfortably early (ie earlier than at home, but a nice time for early starts at the parks).

I find the return trip is much worse as it involves an overnight flight and usually means missing an entire nights sleep.

Bev

I have to respond to a few of you cool gals.

1st. Not Ursula- yes I hold all MY money, which is all the money. I foot this whole bill myself and I'm not going to give out money to blow. The day I started planning it was done with her. Acouple of trips up to N.Y to sit down with her and couple times a week on the phone and e-mails, so she knew the dates and figures. If I can cut down my spending to go on vacation, so should she. I took charge and paid for everything when her plans feel though (Amtrak, Shuttle to hotel, hotel,WDW park tix, UNI/IOA tix, clothes for the trip- DS sale and a thrift store, spray fans, cooler everything) and now I'm going to split my spending money too. I will not give out cards b/c they ALWAYS lose things and I'm not spending every park morning replacing passes. I hand them over they go through the gate and hand them back to me. Our hotel has free breakfast, we'll pack lunch. This is her contribution, she is bringing her foodstamp card and buying food for the suite, but I am going 1/2 on that too. I have money put aside for one dinner or lunch on property, Trail's end at FW and one or two off property, IHOP or Waffle House. So she doesn't have to worry about that either. Now if she has nothing, I will give here something, but how much is enough for a 12 day trip? I don't want to be cheap. I say $200-300. Is this bad ?

To Cinderella_bella- our kids are the same age and miss each other dearly being my sister up and moved 7 hours away from me and before our mom died the kids used to see each other everyday even went to school together. So that's why I doubt we'd ever split up. I just hope I make it out of this alive.:crazy: :crazy:

And crusin minnie- you are scaring me because she has done this too. I'll ask her Universal or disney 1st? She'll say what ever, you do that stuff. and has done it about everything, hotel, meals etc. I sure hope she doesn't flip the script when we get there.:earseek:

Just to help figure (IYO) if $200-300 is enough.
4 days at disney parks
1 day at BB
2 or 3 days at UNI/IOA

the days left- our late day we arrive, doing nothing but un packing, food shopping and hang out at pool and enjoy each other company.
the remaining are rest days- 3 adults 9 kids, we'll need it:D

total stay 12 night not including 21 or so hour train ride each way.
I just convinced myself I'll be:crazy: for sure when this is all over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter