Stupid question about chicken

We prefer boneless skinless thighs now, since the breasts are weird. With the giant breasts, I cut them in half lengthwise before cooking and it seems to help with rubberiness. I buy most of the chicken at Aldi which I think it really Tyson. It’s generally ok, not great.

So a friend of mine has chickens at his place and wanted to get a rooster so there is a chicken farm/ sales place near by and he went there to buy a rooster. The lady at the counter said oh, give us ten minutes and we will have it plucked and ready to go. He had to say no, I want it live.

Also I am not as familiar with show chickens and how they are raised for competitions. I will have to ask a co worker as his son has raised the Grand Champion brood at both the Houston Livestock show and the San Antonio Livestock show. (Kid has over $70 grand for college from those two wins). But I am familiar with raising pigs for shows and they are not ready for consumption right after the show. They feed them a lot of stuff to get muscle, and fat and a certain look for the show. Afterwards they have to be fed out for several weeks to cleanse the system before they get sent to the butcher.

There are still live poultry markets in NYC that cater to various ethnic groups. There was still one on...Amsterdam Avenue and maybe 130th Street 2 years back. When my mother was a little girl in Jamaica, less than 5 years of age, she decided to "help" her Granny by chopping the heads off every chicken she could catch. It was such a funny and well known to the family story it was memorialized in Mom's obituary.

Found a 2015 article saying there were over 80 in NYC. The reporter found one shop owner willing to be interviewed. It was a halal shop in Brooklyn where their clientele mostly wanted to witness that everything was done in accordance with their beliefs.

http://www.hopesandfears.com/hopes/now/business/216925-urban-poultry-new-york
I can’t find a place like that around here. They were all legislated out of existence by city ordinances. I never saw a big one. They were mostly small meat shops that had cages displayed on the sidewalk.

It doesn’t bother me, but I get that a lot of consumers are good with plastic wrapped animal parts and would rather not know how it got there.

I looked into it, and there are still some of these places. I guess the ordinances that’s removed them commercial zones seems to have forced them into more industrial areas. One in Oakland, California is operated by that Brooklyn company in the article.

I wasn’t thinking that long ago. But then again getting poultry slaughtered on demand wouldn’t be unusual even a few decades ago. I get the whole idea of food safety with raw meat, but live animals don’t start going bad that quickly that they have to be placed on ice if they’re going to be cooked quickly.
I think the issue, in large part, is salmonella, which multiplies exponentially at room or warm temperatures. Which is why chckens (and other livestock) are washed with a bleach like solution, which has also contributed to the change of taste we've all been experiencing.

Think farm raised chickens don't have salmonella? Think again!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16300088
I love turkey but I've found it's been difficult to find any that don't have a bleach taste. Chicken, to me, is not as bad.

I think the issue, in large part, is salmonella, which multiplies exponentially at room or warm temperatures. Which is why chckens (and other livestock) are washed with a bleach like solution, which has also contributed to the change of taste we've all been experiencing.

Think farm raised chickens don't have salmonella? Think again!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16300088
I love turkey but I've found it's been difficult to find any that don't have a bleach taste. Chicken, to me, is not as bad.

The article I posted stated that the chickens are briefly boiled, although that may only be to help remove the feathers.

I buy boneless, skinless chicken from Metro, a local grocery store, when it goes on sale for 8.80kg. It’s on sale this week, so that’s what we’re having for dinner tonight. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter