Stroller Planning Help!

heathercj

Earning My Ears
We leave for WDW in 3 days (January 21st) and I still haven't figured out what to do for a stroller for my family! I have 2 DD ages 23 months and 5 years, and a DS who is 7. I plan to bring my umbrella stoller on the plane and was just going to use that in the parks for the baby. But, my little stroller doesn't recline in case I want her to nap in it, and it doesn't have any type of sun canopy or rain shade. Should I rent one of Disney's stollers? Do they recline? Should I rent one of Disney's double strollers in case one of the older two children get tired? We will be at the parks for 6 whole days. Any insight you have would be wonderful. Thanks!

I'm in about the same boat - DS 22mo; DD4 and DS6 and we leave in 2 weeks. I am bribing the older two to walk with a 'special present' from the parks. It's way cheaper than $32/day for a double stroller.

The baby is going in an umbrella that has no canopy and doesn't recline. I figure if he's tired enough he'll sleep. He's kind of a light sleeper anyway. I don't think reclining would help. As thirds, they are used to dealing with whatever is thrown their way, right?

I did think about bringing a double umbrella - btw. We brought that last year but it is a bit more of a hassle. Plus, the little one likes to walk sometimes and a lot of times hates to ride in a stroller so I figure I'll carry him some and let DD4 ride a bit. DS6 has already informed me he wants nothing to do with a stroller!!

If u are not planning on taking breaks for naps and such, personally I would look at a different stroller. I know there are a lot out there that are light weight and not overly expensive (less then 3 days of rentals!!). I just bought a sit n stand, I can not wait to use!

The strolers at Disney are hard plastic, they do not recline and your child is very low to the ground so if you are in a crowd and trying to see something all your shild will see is feet. I would recomend that you either bring a larger one that reclines from home ( it is a tiny bit more of a hassel at security, but the flight crews treat them all the same) or rent one from a place like Orlando stroller rentals. They will deliver it to your resort and pick it back up. They even have double strollers wich may help you out alot with 2 very small children.

I would bring exactly what you are bringing. When my DS was just 2 he did the parks in an umbrella stroller that didn't recline. Kid are so much more flexible than adults that they have no problem sleeping sitting up nor does it bother them later. You will love how easy it is to maneuver in crowds and get on and off busses and trams with just the umbrella stroller.
As far as the other 2 mine have always walked the parks from 4 on so they should be fine. Especially with 3 kiddos you will be be taking it at a kid pace.

Save the money from a rental for a treat one day.

I would really consider bringing a stroller that reclines and has a basket. It seems like you will be spending lots of time in the parks and having a place to put a tired child and all your stuff will really be helpful.

I am with the PP's. I would opt to bring something that reclines and has some sort of shade on it. The strollers at DW are expensive to rent and they are hard. I have a combi and it was very inexpensive (less than renting). It folds up and I carry it on my back. It is very lightweight. If this is your first trip though, I might would opt for a sit and stand. It will be heavier to carry but it will give the older two a place to rest every once in a while. Disney is a lot of work for everyone not just the adults. Have fun.

Those Sit and Stands are really bulky and heavy - I bought one used for Disney and then decided not to use it - you may as well go with a true double as it's the same size. Personally, the lighter the weight the better - you can also hang a cheap bag from the handle bars if you don't have a basket...

The lighter the better going through security and airports, even getting it into the door of your resort.

We are leaving on the 30th with DS's 6,4, and 22 months. We are bringing our graco metro lite(reclines, storage, sunshade, light, not too bulky for buses) for the baby. The other guys will walk for as long as we can get them to and then we will rent a Disney double. Why rent for 7 days when maybe we can squeeze 2 or 3 days of walking out of them. If you do rent from Disney rent the stroller up front for the number of days you will need the stroller, they give you a small discount per day over renting it daily. Have FUN!

Call Orlando Stroller Rentals or Magic Strollers and get a Baby Jogger City Mini double for the week. So much cheaper and more comfortable than renting from Disney. Plenty of room for the baby and 5 year old and even the 7 year old can have a seat if needed. Dream to push, plenty of storage, great sun canopies, easy to fold... and when the 2nd seat isn't being used by a child it's great for holding stuff.

Just makes life easy. :goodvibes

http://www.orlandostrollerrentals.com/
or
http://magicstrollers.com/

(Magic Strollers includes a parent console to hold drinks and a rain cover if you ask for one so I think it's a better deal)

Wow, thanks everyone for all of the advice. I still don't think I've made up my mind...:confused3 Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Thank you!

I am having stroller dilemas myself. It drives me crazy, but hopefully I will figure mine out SOON!!
Anyway, just wanted to say that I would not take a regular umbrella stroller with no recline or basket for a Disney trip for a 23 mo old.
At this point since you are leaving tomorrow:banana: I would rent a single or double from one of the previously mentioned companies.

Last time we went to disney, we ended up taking two lightweight Maclaren strollers (we already had one, bought an extra specifically for disney). The lower models start around $100 -- they are ultra lightweight, fold very compactly, have a sunshade and small basket and most recline. It costs less than renting and in the end you have an extra stroller to keep in the other car, garage, etc. So my recommendation is to look into something like this for the toddler and take the other umbrella stroller for your older child and then you also have strollers for resorts, parking lots, airports, etc. Plus if you need to split up at some point you can(over a double stroller).

I took my daughter to Disney when she had just turned two and she would have been miserable without the reclining stroller. Heck, we took her when she was 3.5 and she would have been miserable without the recline! I definitely suggest something with a recline and a canopy.

Not having to carry sleeping kids out of the park or from the bus to the room is priceless.
I say definitely a double stroller.
20090315_0344.jpg

We are taking our sit and stand for our DD5 and DD2. I know the kids are completely exhausted by the end of the day which is why we are planning on taking the S&S so my 5 yr old can take advantage of it. My only concern is dealing with its size, the plane and the buses to and from the different parks. We are stating at the WDW AS Movies.

Where can I find a Combi? I'm looking to go with the more lightweight for our next trip and my little man will be 2 1/2. I already know he will NOT sleep in that thing! It's just too small as cute as it is (Disney of course!). He needs to recline and I need some type of canopy shade for him. I'd hate to bring the industrial sized stroller again LOL (you know the kind....the ones that originally come with the carseat!). So the lighter, the better.

I had a Combi for my 3rd child and hated it. Once she got to about 2 (and she was tiny) you couldnt push that thing. It also had a very low handle and I have a very tall husband. No one wanted to push the stroller-it was a PAIN! It was lightweight, but not worth anything once dd was 2 or so.

We had a combi too -- before the Maclarens and hated it for the same reasons. The wheels would always turn around and make it hard to push and my tall husband refused to push it. The Maclarens are much taller and maneuver great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter