Stroller Dilemma

steen995

Taking two children 20 mos and 4 yrs. I really don't want to haul our huge double stroller. I have a nice lightweight single stroller that has seen WDW before and handled quite easily.

My Dilemma: Second stroller option?
I would like to find an umbrella stroller for the 4 yr old that is compact enough (and cheap) to hang off the currently stroller and/or fit underneath when not in use. I really don't want to rent another stroller, as two strollers during a ride swap would be difficult for one person to handle.

Suggestions?

:Pinkbounc :earsboy: :Pinkbounc

for our 4 year old. She's 41 inches tall and weighs 32 pounds. We finally found the answer in a double umbrella stroller from Burlington Coat Factory's Baby Depot. It's an Avalon stroller that weighs 19 pounds and fits through a standard door. It's great, we tested it out at our VERY crowded mall in the midst of the Fan Fair insanity this weekend and it manuevers like a dream and both kids fit comfortably. Best part: it's only $60, has two baskets, reclines easily and they LOVE it! I know you aren't *looking* for a double, but I thought you might at least be able to consider it at this price. It also folds REALLY small, smaller than our regular full size single stroller!

http://www.bcfdirect.com/IWStoreBCF...ection_Id=9553&pcount=&pn=1&Product_Id=300126

I called the manufacturer about the weight limit and they told me that it is actually good to 40 pounds in each seat and 5 pounds in each basket or 45 pounds per side.

I have a 18 month old & 4 year old and I'm going to take the double stroller. JUst in case I ever go out by myself with the girls I will be able to handle the one stroller.

I went back and forth with the idea of taking my graco single stroller & my combi, but my 4 year old is getting to big for the combi & I want my 18 month old to be able to comfortably nap when she needs it. So, I figured I'll just deal with the double stroller.

zippehsmom:D

It depends on the size of your 4 year old as to whether or not you can find an umbrella stroller that he/she will fit in comfortably. We finally splurged for a maclaren last year when my DD was 3-1/2 because she was too tall for any of the cheap ones. I don't know that you would be able to connect a maclaren to another umbrella stroller though because they are taller than most of the others.

You could bring your lightweight for your little one and rent a single for your older one if you can't find one that will hook on that your 4 year old will fit in. Perhaps if you have a very petite or small 4 year old you may find a cheap umbrella stroller that will work, but most have a 30 or 35lb weight limit and a 4 year old will drag their feet and hit their heads on the canopys.

Last time we went (our kids were 13 months and 3-1/2), we took two singles and I was SOOOOO glad I didn't have to push around our heavy double. It actualy worked out much better because there were times that my older child wanted to do things like splash mountain that my younger one couldn't do. My DH could take her to splash mountain and I took the little one to watch the parade. I loved being able to split up for a ride or two if needed. I don't think it would be difficult during a ride swap, since you could just park one or both of the strollers in the stroller parking.

Last year we did exactly what you are planning. This summer we will do the same thing - DD 2yr old in stroller(smaller, fully reclining w/tray & basket) and DD 5yr old in umbrella stroller. My 5yr old is very petite and her legs simply cannot keep up with all the walking at WDW.

Wal Mart has a sturdy light weight Cosco stroller for 10.95. It is unreal. Just buy it and then if you have to dump it rather than rent one that god knows who has barfed in or worse.

Not sure if this helps or not. But when we went in April, we rented a double stroller from a company called A Baby's Best Friend. It was a Graco, and it was great, they delivered it to my hotel and all I had to do was leave it at the front desk of my hotel when I checked out and they picked it up. We were traveling from California, so it was great to have one less thing to worry about. You might want to try it out.

By the way my 2 dds were 2.5 yrs and 3.5 months old at the time.

Hope this helps

stephanie

Bartleby1 can you tell me more about your Maclaren? My DD 4 is about 38 lbs and pretty tall. She still does fine in my bigger stroller but it does not fold as small as an umbrella. I am considering a trip to the parks before our cruise without DH so want something light. How expensive was it and where did you find it? Thanks. :D

Originally posted by Disneycrazymom
Bartleby1 can you tell me more about your Maclaren? My DD 4 is about 38 lbs and pretty tall. She still does fine in my bigger stroller but it does not fold as small as an umbrella. I am considering a trip to the parks before our cruise without DH so want something light. How expensive was it and where did you find it? Thanks. :D

I ordered mine from strollers4less.com last year. We tested them at babiesrus to find out which models we liked. I think I have the Vogue model which is one of their mid-range models. The low end didn't come with a canopy and didn't have as deep of a seat so my dd wasn't as comfy in it. On the strollers4less website it states that the maclaren strollers are good to 40 lbs, but according to the maclarenstrollers.com website, they have been tested to 55 lbs. I think I paid around $180 for mine, which is sooo unlike me!! But, I have a younger one, plus one more on the way, so it will definitely get used! I absolutely love mine. It handles great and folds like an umbrella stroller. The downfalls are that they have very small baskets and no cupholders, but I was more concerned about my dd's comfort since we are in the parks from open to close and she needed to nap in it too.

Strollers4less.com currently has a Quest 2003 model on sale for around $170 (marked down from $250). Probably because the 2004 models are already out.

My DD is now 4-1/2 years old, 39 lbs, and 44 inches tall and she can still ride very comfortably in hers.

HTH! If you don't have any other younger children, it may be difficult to justify spending that much on a stroller for a 4 year old. If you have younger ones or are planning to have more, definitely consider it.

believe it or not, K-Mart! Our 2 youngest kids were 18 moths and 2 1/2 years on our first WDW trip. We did not want to spend a lot and didn't want our huge double stroller. I got 2 strollers for $10.97 each! Well, that was 4 years ago! My youngest, now 4 1/2 (she is 34 lbs.) still uses it on long walks or at the mall! The best part was that these cheapies even had a canopy to keep the kids out of the sun as well as Disney characters on them--one with tigger the other has Pooh. We used them hard and they are still going strong--who'd have thought $20 would take us so far for so long!

Look at the Maclaren Volo. My son is 45 inches tall and can still ride in it. It is a great stroller and even has a shoulder strap to carry it with which keeps your hands free.

Oh that is a lot! DD is the youngest, and I am not planning any more!:eek: :D So maybe I'll try K-Mart. Or just take my Kolcraft Literider. I like it a lot but it does not fold as small as an umbrella. It does have a great basket and cup holder though. What to do? :D

OK now I'm having second thoughts.

Is bringing my double stroller going to be that cumbersome?? I just keep picturing myself with 2 strollers while DH & DS is off riding a ride. I don't want to have to stay in one spot.

How many people have actually taken their doubles and how have they worked??

Thanks

zippehsmom:D

There used to be a stroller with a seat in the back...I forget what it's called, but I think it would be good for those with an older child and an infant.

I traveled twice with a double Graco. It is workable but can be a hassle getting on and off the bus. Where are you staying? We were at WL both trips with double strollers and it was great to roll the stroller right on the boat to go to the magic kingdom and not have to fold it.

I am glad I had the double stroller but this last trip my oldest was 5 and we only brought a single for my 2 year old and it was really nice to have a smaller stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter