Stroller Dilemma

4DisPrincesses

Earning My Ears
Traveling in May with our 5 and 3 year old plus baby twins. We have 6 park days. Please help me decide what will work best:

1. Bring only the City Mini double and wear the babies when the older two need a break from walking and need to ride in the stroller
2. Bring the City Mini double for the babies and buy a double umbrella stroller for the big kids
3. Bring the City Mini double for the babies and a single umbrella stroller for one of the big kids. One of us could wear a baby if the other big kid needed to stroll as well.

We have 3 park days with grand and great grandparents who could push a stroller and we have no problem wearing the babies but have concerns about them getting too hot while being worn. We will drive to the park so strollers on buses will not be an issue.

Anyone with experience that could help determine the best plan?

For me, it wouldn't even be a close call. Option #2 all day, every day. We don't have 4 kids, but we have 3, including a set of twins. We started taking them when our oldest was just turning 4 and our twins were about to turn 1. I would never want to carry/wear the kids at WDW, especially in the heat of summer. We never wore the babies anywhere, even at home. Just not our thing. If you have help to push strollers, then that's what I'd do. You push one and someone else in your party (DH, parents, etc...) push the other. It'll keep them (the older kids) from getting tired. It'll keep you from getting tired trying to carry the twins. It'll make it so much easier to keep track of the older ones, instead of having them walk and possibly lag behind, get tired, cranky, whatever. If they want to walk some of it, great, then you've got an empty stroller. I'd much rather have an empty stroller sometimes than try to make them walk (or carry a kid) and then have them get tired and wish we had a stroller.

Truthfully, we kept our kids in strollers until my oldest was 10 and the twins were 7 or 8. We're all very physically fit, but WDW is so big and very crowded. Everyone was happier with them in strollers. They didn't get tired, which made the trip that much more enjoyable. We could keep track of them, especially when trying to exit MK after fireworks...it's a sea of humanity and having them in the strollers right in front of us made it easy peasy.

I would go with option ...

4. Bring the City Mini double for the babies and TWO single umbrellas stroller for the big kids.

... because it sounds like you have lots of pushers for two extra strollers. A double stroller umbrella stroller is (A) heavier and harder to push and (B) puts the two older kids in too close proximity.

I would definitely bring the city mini double, and then either rent another one or do the two single umbrella strollers. I agree with PP that a double umbrella is too hard to manage. We had friends with 4yo twins last time with clips that could join the doubles - they usually separated them since it was just easier to maneuver that way (kids got along fine)

I'd bring the double stroller and rent a stroller based on the day at the park. Then you don't have to haul it on the bus and the older kids should be fine to make it from the gate to the busses/monorail. Unless your hotel room is a hike from the bus stop.

We just got a sit and stand for $70. I've seen it on walmart and amazon.
Baby Trend Sit N Stand Ultra Stroller, Millennium Raspberry Even though it's for two boys. They are two thin strips of purple and the cup holders have a circle of purple. Want orange, that's another $50 . No thank you.

I'd go for strollers for everyone.

I would go with option #3. The babies have the double, and the 3 year old has the umbrella. We make our two older ones walk since 4 years old. Yes they get tired and dad might carry one for a bit. But we take breaks and with all the time you spend in lines and rides making them walk isn't that bad.
The two older ones can also share the umbrella stroller at times and since you baby wear you might find carrying the twins easier with rides and such. Even last year with a 6,4 and just turned 2 year old we had 1 umbrella stroller and 1 lite Eddie Bauer stroller. Most of the time the umbrella stroller was folded up hanging from the 2 year old's stroller because the older kids wanted to walk. We ended up leaving it in the hotel room most days.
However, all the said, if you have the hands to push 3 strollers I would do as others have suggested and use the double and 2 umbrella strollers.

i would bring the city double and rent a city double. We wore our twins some but reality is that at some point everyone will need to ride. (we only have 3, 18month twins and 4 year old) We carry a double city and a single city. If the 4 year old wants to walk a while we just park it in stroller parking somewhere and pick it up later.

Personally, I wouldn't rent. You're better off buying a double umbrella from Wal-Mart, Costco, etc...and then selling it or even throwing it out when you're done. Far cheaper. You can try two single strollers, but while it's a bit heavier, for us it just makes it so much easier.

I'd do a double plus a single. Babywear as needed. Depending on your carriers you could wear your 3 year old if needed occasionally.

For me, it wouldn't even be a close call. Option #2 all day, every day. We don't have 4 kids, but we have 3, including a set of twins. We started taking them when our oldest was just turning 4 and our twins were about to turn 1. I would never want to carry/wear the kids at WDW, especially in the heat of summer. We never wore the babies anywhere, even at home. Just not our thing. If you have help to push strollers, then that's what I'd do. You push one and someone else in your party (DH, parents, etc...) push the other. It'll keep them (the older kids) from getting tired. It'll keep you from getting tired trying to carry the twins. It'll make it so much easier to keep track of the older ones, instead of having them walk and possibly lag behind, get tired, cranky, whatever. If they want to walk some of it, great, then you've got an empty stroller. I'd much rather have an empty stroller sometimes than try to make them walk (or carry a kid) and then have them get tired and wish we had a stroller.

Truthfully, we kept our kids in strollers until my oldest was 10 and the twins were 7 or 8. We're all very physically fit, but WDW is so big and very crowded. Everyone was happier with them in strollers. They didn't get tired, which made the trip that much more enjoyable. We could keep track of them, especially when trying to exit MK after fireworks...it's a sea of humanity and having them in the strollers right in front of us made it easy peasy.

This is what I would do too. Having a seat for all is the way to go for sure.

Option one would be my preferred choice...maybe option 3 when the grandparents are there. Never option 2. There is NO WAY I'd be taking two doubles. Not for a minute. I also have no problem with baby wearing, especially if I'm nursing. As long as their head is not covered and the wrap is breathable, I think they'll be fine heat wise. We always took one double umbrella stroller and anyone over age 3 had to walk most of the time, unless there was a empty seat because I was holding one of the younger ones. Youngest two were finally 4 and 5 last May and we didn't take a stroller at all after taking a double on every trip since 2009. So freeing! Luckily, my kids have TONS of energy and have no problem walking the park for 6-8 hours a day for two weeks. I can understand that some kids may not be able to do that. We do stop to rest a few times a day during meals and snacks, and of course we aren't walking much in long, slow-moving lines. Keep in mind if you are taking Disney transportation that both strollers will need to be folded up and many times you will need to hold them during the ride and sometimes you may be standing. Dealing with one double stroller is a big hassle in that situation, I cannot imagine having two.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions! So helpful to hear the thoughts of those who have been through similar experiences. I have a lot to think about now!

I love to wear my baby, he's 7 months but he was so cranky when we were there this week because he was hot (and teething). I have zero idea how to manage 4 kids but I agree with others I would bring strollers fit at least 3 but ideally 4. Even if you have a stroller for each doesn't mean you can't baby wear also since you got a lot of extra hands with you.

Have a great time!

Traveling in May with our 5 and 3 year old plus baby twins. We have 6 park days. Please help me decide what will work best:

1. Bring only the City Mini double and wear the babies when the older two need a break from walking and need to ride in the stroller
2. Bring the City Mini double for the babies and buy a double umbrella stroller for the big kids
3. Bring the City Mini double for the babies and a single umbrella stroller for one of the big kids. One of us could wear a baby if the other big kid needed to stroll as well.

We have 3 park days with grand and great grandparents who could push a stroller and we have no problem wearing the babies but have concerns about them getting too hot while being worn. We will drive to the park so strollers on buses will not be an issue.

Anyone with experience that could help determine the best plan?
remember you can not drop off at gate at MK and unless you get to park near the front you will need to fold stroller/s for the tram and you will have to push up ramp to get on monorail. there are only seats on upper level of ferry and you have to walk up steps to get there. there is no tram and it is a slight up hill walk from Handicapped parking and there is no tram.know you did not ask this wanted you prepared

Since that stroller has a glider board option, I would get that. And I would also grab a single umbrella stroller for Epcot, and possibly AK days. May be good to have if you are planning a late night or if your kids are tired. But using the board means you will always have that option handy. Strollers are a pain. You already have a great one, but I wouldn't want to have 2 everyday.

Option 3/4. Can great grandma push the big kids in a double uphill in florida heat? Do the 5 and 3 ever fight when hot, tired, hungry?

Have taken those ages to the parks for week long trips. I'd want a seat for all of them, preferably a double and 2 singles- then grandma 1 can take 5 to the bathroom (again!) while grandpa 1 takes 3 on dumbo (again!) and you can sit by the ice cream parlor in the shade with the babies napping in their stroller, enjoying an ice cream sandwich :)

Take multiple carriers. You'll need them for lines, Epcot (because stroller parking is NO WHERE NEAR where you are going- looking at you Land Pavilion) and the tram in the parking lot (unless you get that front row handicapped spot!) I'm not sure how long you'll want to be wearing the babies with the heat, but you'll use them, unless you prefer to hold wiggly babies for the entire line.... or if you're only riding your fastpass choices. If you wear the 3 yr old I'd bring one for her, 2 for the twins, and probably an extra in case the babies soak one, but I'm an over-packer :)

Fabulous ages! Have a GREAT time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter