Stripes On Tour (Mar 2002) 3 - Me first day

S

SpottyDog

Stripes On Tour

Previously on Spotty’s holiday ……

The night before
The Journey

Stripes On Tour 3 – Me first day

I was a wake at 3 and 4am, as you do, and got up at 5am to unpack- as you do. It was really warm outside which was a pleasant surprise. Most March mornins we’ve had have been chilly and misty but it was warmer than UK already – very nice.

The coffee wasn’t ready in the foodcourt (it doesn’t officially open till 6am) so I went to try ringin V’s Mam and Dad with money to see if that was the problem. Still didn’t work. I tried talking to an operator but that left me more confused –
“Which International Call Provider would you like to use?”
“I don’t know, it’s your phone, Pet!” - so I gave up.

Got me coffees and went back to the sleepin crew. V was awke(ish) and started to get ready. Julie woke up and turned over. The TV was on Disney channel (as is the law) but she ignored it.
“Ponderosa?”
If there was one in Spennymoor, she’d never be late fer school again. She even woke the boy and told him to get ready.

Out by 7.15 we headed along Osceola, Ponderosa bound. We decided to try Maingate West for a change rather than our usual Kiss Old Town. I got confused on the 192 off-slip and missed the West off-ramp so had to do a U Turn along the 192 East .Well, it is me first day.

The plan for today was to do Animal Kingdom first then shoppin. Yes, ME, shoppin and it’s on the plan! I figured if I take her shoppin today we can get all the bargains at the start of the holiday rather than last year when she got the bargains at the end to compliment all the other non-Walmart bargains (that’s dearer) earlier in the holiday.

We arrived for 8.50 and were so close to the gate we walked rather than wait for the tram. This was an early indication of how quiet the first week was gonna be. Our first encounter with the bag searches was straightforward and what looked like a massive queue that might take minutes to get through was really just a walk through. We were on the Safari at 9.05 so it must have been easy peasy.

I enjoyed Safari more this year coz I could sit and enjoy it. This was to be another part of me holiday this year. I’m only videoin new stuff this year so can actually watch what I missed last year! Julie was appointed chief camerabod and was chuffed coz she was bein trusted with me digi camera all on her own.

From Safari we set off for Dinosaur. There’s no way V would do this but me and Gaz had persuaded J it was a fairly tame ride and she’d enjoy it. J wasn’t convinced and me previous track record isn’t good in these things. She looked increasingly apprehensive as we neared the ride but was ok to give it a try. Just as we were next to enter the preshow, the ride got shut down and we stood at the head of the line for 15 minutes. J was ok(ish) but looking nervous- probably due to the time to think – as we went into the video briefin room. It was the video of the car getting bumped around that finished her and she said she didn’t want to do it anymore. No matter, I knew better than to try to dissuade her after last year’s disasters (we don’t have room for many more beanie thingys) and told her she could step across the ride and wait in the shop, which she did.

The minute the ride started I realised J wouldn’t have liked it. As usual, I’d forgotten how dark it was and wayyy too rough. Gaz loves this ride but I only do it for him. It’s ok and the animatronics are good but it’s too dark and fast IMO to take in most things. Not good fer me back, we decided once was enough today.

Back to V and she’d moved into the shade. Not 10 o clock and it was getting very hot ,thank you. My ,this was turning into the best holiday ever. Must be me laid back approach. I took me little girl on Triceratops Spin to make up for Dino and we had a laugh. I don’t really like spinny rides, never mind them that go up and down to boot, but J loves them so I have to be her ride buddy as Gaz has a tendency to be dizzy all day afterwards. We’d have loved to try the new baby coaster and hoped it might be on ‘soft-openin’ as it was due to launch Mar 31st but it was shut. Never mind.

We like Chester and Hester’s roadside area. I know it gets a lot of stick for bein tacky but that’s the themin of these things in that era. It doesn’t have anything to do with Africa, true, but it does provide somewhere for the kids to have fun. Without it AK might be a bit ‘flat’ for some.

Part of our plan this year was to do all the things we’d not bothered with on previous trips so we were scheduled for Flights of Wonder next. Astrid had recommended this so it was gonna be her fault if I didn’t like it. I did. Not enough to go again but it was a worthwhile experience.

We did Tarzan next. This was another ‘one I can afford to miss’ from last year but it’s J’s favourite so we went and it was better than last year. Probably better singers and not havin the camera in me eye helped.

Time to go our separate ways and me and V did ITTBAB while the kids went to get wet on the rapids. They had a walkie talkie and we told them they’d have an hour or so coz we were doin The Lion King next then would come find them.

ITTBAB was a s good as ever. I taped it so J could see it wasn’t that bad but I left the lock on ‘till 2 minutes from the end so that didn’t work. Got the screams at the end though, which was nice.

We had time between shows so we went for a sit down in the Dawa Bar in Harambe. I think I’m gonna like this go-with-the-flow style. It was nice sittin under the shade (it was seriously hot now) watchin the world go by, sippin me Bud. I told V to savour the moment.
“Because it’s so lovely and will be a fond memory of our holiday?”
“No, coz it’s $4.50 a pint so we’ll not be comin back!”

Just made it into The Lion King before they closed the rope and we got some of the last seats, as usual. Only trouble with jumpin into shows late is yer always a giraffe! Last year’s show was spoilt for me by one of the leads bein of the screechy high notes variety. Gladly, she was on a day off today and I enjoyed the show again. Sad to report the exitin from here is no better though and it took an age to get out, as usual.

We found the kids in Asia and all had a much needed cool drink – no beer at $4.50 thank you, besides I was drivin. We’d done all we wanted to do and the new Jammin Parade wasn’t for two hours so we decided to do the shops so we could get home sooner.

We enjoyed the drive up the 192 East now the roadworks have gone. It’s so pretty now. We entered Walmart around 3ish and came out 3 and a half hours later $434 lighter. It was goin so well too ‘till they discovered they had changing rooms. Even Gaz was tryin stuff on. As I was putting the stuff in the boot it occurred that the cases were full on the way here so I’d need to buy another bag. But not today, I’d had enough shoppin and I haven’t been to Publix for me beer yet. A worse thought then was that me car was fully packed when Ian took us to Manchester. What if I can’t get it all in when he picks us up? Never mind, it’s done now. Got three weeks to worry about that one – and I did!

We’d only had a cookie ice cream each since Ponderosa so our thoughts turned to food. Well mine turned to beer but I was hungry too. We all fancied Chinese but couldn’t remember which all you can eat Chinese DFM had recommended. We spotted the Dynasty Super Buffet on our way back into Old Town and pulled in. It was very ‘Ponderosa like’ so our Julie felt at home straight away. The service was very welcoming and attentive and the food , though not great, was good and plentiful. There’s probably better elsewhere but for $55, including drinks, we were all stuffed and everyone had enjoyed their choices. Oh, I tried Crayfish. Not sure if I liked it though, coz after the tail I didn’t have a clue what to do with it, so left it.

Now me plan said we shouldn’t be tired on the first full day and we had Disney Quest and Pleasure Island on our itinery. It was only after 8 but the kids were complainin of bein tired and V was just complainin.

We went to the Nike store to change me shoes and J decided she would like a new pair after all. She was getting in a tired strop coz she couldn’t find a pair she liked (don’t know where she gets that from!) so Daddy saved the day by pickin a pair for her. I just found a pair that looked identical to a pair she has at home and she was happy.

Publix next for me beer supplies- Sam Adams and Amber Bock – and other essentials – orio wheetos and goldfish.

Back to AllStars by 9.15 and the kids were straight to sleep – no stamina, see. V wasn’t far behind them and I sat with 2 Buds and flicked the night away.

It’s all settlin into a nice routine now isn’t it.

Phew! Relieved to read you liked the Flights of Wonder show! :)

We got to Lion King late and were giraffes too - I'm still not convinced they sound like sheep though!! Yep, getting out of that show is a complete nightmare isn't it!

Astrid x

Phew, I'm glad Julie skipped Dinosaur, you wouldn't want to be a 'bad daddy' on the very first ride!

Sounds like a nice relaxing day.

Bev

LOL at unpacking at 5.00am as you do ( no Dave, I do not LOL!!) First up and last to bed eh? You have tremendous stamina :)
Another great read, thank you :)

ShirleyBob

Very much enjoying the more relaxed style of Spottydog touring.

The added benefit of this laid back approach is more beer time!
I nearly had a $4.50 beer in the Animal Kingdom, but the cocktails cost very little more, so I settled for one of those instead.
A cheap girly cocktail won out over an expesive manly beer.

Kev

Wow - great first day!! AK and shopping - you're slipping!!

I must admit I like your style...Parks and shopping ;)

That is the same reason Neil doesn't drink beer in the parks..:)plus the fact that 9 times out of 10 he drives...:):):) Stephanie and I really enjoyed Tarzan rocks too. As for the Lion King we were Giraffes ;)

I so admire your endless energy. This laid back is my full on. Maybe it's my age!!!!More please as usual. Carolyn:pinkbounc :pinkbounc

glad to hear there aren't any blisters yet Dave!;)

Can't get over this new version of Spotty, where's the real one gone???:D

This new, laid-back, SpottyDog is going to take some getting used to (unless, of course, it doesn't last...)

Great report Dave - like the new "Laid Back" style :) You sound so laid back you're almost horizontal! LOL

We did The Lion King show last year for the first time and I really enjoyed the inter-action, we were in Lion Section :)

Didn't get to Tarzan Rocks, is it the same as in DLP do you know as I saw that last year? Maybe we'll get time in May.

:) :) :) Thanks for writing the reports - always an enjoyable read :)

Yes, will this very laid back SpottyDave last!;) Its all going to plan so far! A great day all round:D

These are great Dave, can't wait for more.

Going for three weeks seems to make a big difference. Think that's what we'll be doing next year !!!!!!

Julie

:pinkbounc

Enjoyed reading this - great style too!
Can't wait for the next installment.....

I am enjoying your laid back approach - It's sounding like a very tempting way to do the parks - And I think I need time out from videoing so I think I'll come from behind the camera this trip. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks for the wonderful report - luv reading them!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter