Strange Walk-Up / ADR Experience at Epcot

Corwin

DIS Veteran
On our last visit to Epcot in May 2019 during the Flower & Garden Festival, we went to the counter-service at La Cantina de San Angel on a Saturday afternoon. Before I could order, though, my wife pointed out the fact that there was absolutely no seating available in the courtyard outside. For some reason, they no longer allow you to sit inside at La Hacienda de San Angel during the day, so if there's no seating outside, you're out of luck. (I also noticed that half of the people sitting at the tables outside weren't eating anything, either, and no Cast Members seemed to be doing anything about this.) :rolleyes:

We really wanted to be able to sit down and have a margarita, and so decided to try inside at the San Angel Inn Restaurante. Even without a reservation, we thought we'd be OK, since it was about 3:00 p.m. (and the restaurant isn't one of the more in-demand ones, to be frank). There was a line of people asking for walk-up tables, and everyone was being turned away, as was I. The hostess said they were not taking any walk-ups at this time. I noticed that only about a third of the tables were occupied, but I didn't feel like arguing with her.

As I walked away, it occurred to me to try for an online ADR on my phone. At 3:02 p.m., the system indicated that a reservation was available at 3:30 p.m., so I immediately booked it. We then walked right back over to the podium to check in for our reservation. We were seated two minutes later, and were ordering margaritas by 3:10 p.m. ;)

Reactions: CJN
We do last minute reservations a lot these days. It's great! Did The Plaza in May and La Hacienda last week both about 30 minutes prior to showing up.

I wasn't aware that they ever allowed people to sit inside at La Hacienda when it was closed. Interesting.

That is really odd about them not taking walk-ups but having ADR space. About the people sitting and not eating anything, I hate that people do that, especially when there are those with food needing seats. But I can see how a person needs to sit down and have a break. Disney has created that issue with not having enough places for people to sit and rest in the shade. I would E-mail Disney with your experience and maybe suggest that they add more shaded areas for people to sit. After all, how much money are they loosing from people walking away because there are no seats.

On our last visit to Epcot in May 2019 during the Flower & Garden Festival, we went to the counter-service at La Cantina de San Angel on a Saturday afternoon. Before I could order, though, my wife pointed out the fact that there was absolutely no seating available in the courtyard outside. For some reason, they no longer allow you to sit inside at La Hacienda de San Angel during the day, so if there's no seating outside, you're out of luck. (I also noticed that half of the people sitting at the tables outside weren't eating anything, either, and no Cast Members seemed to be doing anything about this.) :rolleyes:

We really wanted to be able to sit down and have a margarita, and so decided to try inside at the San Angel Inn Restaurante. Even without a reservation, we thought we'd be OK, since it was about 3:00 p.m. (and the restaurant isn't one of the more in-demand ones, to be frank). There was a line of people asking for walk-up tables, and everyone was being turned away, as was I. The hostess said they were not taking any walk-ups at this time. I noticed that only about a third of the tables were occupied, but I didn't feel like arguing with her.

As I walked away, it occurred to me to try for an online ADR on my phone. At 3:02 p.m., the system indicated that a reservation was available at 3:30 p.m., so I immediately booked it. We then walked right back over to the podium to check in for our reservation. We were seated two minutes later, and were ordering margaritas by 3:10 p.m. ;)
You can still eat Mexican counter service lunchtime at La Hacienda, but they start clearing people out at some point mid afternoon to get ready for dinner service. That’s probably why it was closed when you were there.

There was a line of people asking for walk-up tables, and everyone was being turned away, as was I. The hostess said they were not taking any walk-ups at this time. I noticed that only about a third of the tables were occupied, but I didn't feel like arguing with her.

As I walked away, it occurred to me to try for an online ADR on my phone...
I'm not really that shocked, they probably were not sufficiently staffed for all the walk-ups that day so turning away those makes some sense. I would assume that it was easier to turn all walk-ups away vs taking just a few and upsetting some. You were wise to try the ADR though, and it paid off for you!

You can still eat Mexican counter service lunchtime at La Hacienda, but they start clearing people out at some point mid afternoon to get ready for dinner service. That’s probably why it was closed when you were there.
That's good to know for the future. We've had trouble getting a place to sit for La Cantina de San Angel recently, while I remember sitting inside in the air conditioning on earlier visits. On our last couple of visits, we must have been trying too late in the afternoon when they are getting La Hacienda de San Angel ready for dinner.

Even when a restaurant is accepting walk ups, it the wait is more than 30 minutes, check for an ADR. I have done this. I was hearing walk up waits of 45 minutes for a restaurant so decided to go elsewhere. I had only walked a short distance to pull the app up to check so when that same restaurant came up for 15 minutes later, I grabbed it. I waited 5 minutes then walked up to check in and I was sat within 5 minutes.

This happened to us at Beaches and Cream. Not accepting walk-ups, we brought up the app, booked it, and were seated within 5 minutes.

Your experience is exactly what you'll see some of us advising those who don't want to make ADRs ahead of time to do. Have no idea why the restaurants prefer an ADR just made over doing walk-up. Perhaps it keeps everyone honest and has at least the appearance of fairness. This strategy of making what is essentially a walk-up ADR will work at probably 90% of the TS restaurants at just about any time during the year.

We were at Chefs de France last week waiting to be seated when we over heard a person asking about a walk up. The CM told her that they do not take walk ups, only reservations. So maybe it’s a new trend.

that's pretty normal if they haven't staffed to accommodate walk-ups. At Disney it's all about the staffing level.

that's pretty normal if they haven't staffed to accommodate walk-ups. At Disney it's all about the staffing level.

I would think though, that all Disney restaurants are staffed for capacity all the time. It would be the exception, not the norm for a restaurant at Disney to not be pretty much full.

You would think that bit that’s not what we see. They staff to reservations not capacity. Hence the no walk up policy

Feel free to try it yourself next visit

It’s not a trend. We’ve been seeing variations on this for years

Disney wants only adr guests at ts. Whether you made the adr 180 days ago or 5 minutes ago. Make the adr!
I've seen this happen many times. It seems strange to not take walk ups, but many restaurants don't.
We have had this happen, refused walk up service. Go to the app, get an ADR for a few minutes later and seated immediately.

I've had the same issue as the OP... I can see a lot of tables open, but the restaurant isn't accepting walk-ups. This past February, I literally stood at the hostess's counter and made an ADR for 15 minutes from then after she told me that they were not accepting walk-ups. About a minute later, it appeared on her screen, and she seated us.

I've seen the same thing elsewhere. I was in Sears surplus center a few years ago and saw a stove I liked. I checked online and found it available for $200 cheaper online with free delivery. So, I asked if I could get the online price from the sales person. "No" was the response. So, I literally stood there and bought it online using my phone.

So, I literally stood there and bought it online using my phone.

I do this frequently when shopping now. About 10 years ago, on Black Friday, I was at a store that had lines around the store to check out. The items I had in my hands were ones I needed to see before buying, but could get online. So, I pulled up my phone and started an order, my mom and I walked around looking at the items we wanted and placing the order as I walked out of the store. As we walked out, the people I was behind still had about 20 minutes until they reached the registers.

Since that day, I have a tendency go to the stores to see the actual product and then I order for the better deal online. I also do this with clothes. If the store only has certain colors in my size, I might check online and find the color I want in my size and order. This way, I get the product I actually want, without having to drive 10-30 miles to the next store that might have it.

No surprise that counter service seating was limited to the counter service area, surprised they ever let anyone go inside. You will find rude folks sitting at QS location tables at all times just to relax and .......... most the time CMs do nothing about it. In the end they are the ones losing money so .............

No walk ups for TS seating is very very common. I have had them tell me point blank, no available tables, booked for the night, sorry try somewhere else etc. I go outside and book it on MDE and a few times walked right in. Once the same girl says "Oh you are back" and I said "Yes, I just booked it on my phone". A bit red and embarrassed since she had fibbed to me. Other restaurants have at least said "We can't accept walk ups but you can go online and see if you can book." This has been my experience for last 3-4 years at most restaurants I have tried. At this point I go to MDE first.

NOTE: Empty tables doesn't mean ability to seat. They still need enough servers and a kitchen capacity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!