Straightening Iron-Budget Buster-But So Worth It

Disneybuckeye

DIS Veteran
My DD was going to her second prom last night and begged me for a new straightening iron that was "good". She did not like the way her hair looked for the last one and blamed it on the iron (never mind that I volunteered to pay for her to have my stylist straighten it for this special occasion). I aquiesed as a present for her 18th birthday in two weeks and took her to the hair salon. We spent $160 :scared1: on a salon quality iron. Now, like everyone on the budget board I try and watch what we spend and scrimp where we can. We both have been using $20 irons for years and I was skeptical that the more expensive irons were that much better. Well, I was wrong. We used the iron on both of our hair and it definitely made the hair smoother, it handled easier, and our hair looked better, It also seems much better made as we were replacing our old irons once a year or so. In this case we got what we paid for and it was worth it. Now I need to start saving my pennies so I can buy one for me when she leaves for college in the fall.

My DD was going to her second prom last night and begged me for a new straightening iron that was "good". She did not like the way her hair looked for the last one and blamed it on the iron (never mind that I volunteered to pay for her to have my stylist straighten it for this special occasion). I aquiesed as a present for her 18th birthday in two weeks and took her to the hair salon. We spent $160 :scared1: on a salon quality iron. Now, like everyone on the budget board I try and watch what we spend and scrimp where we can. We both have been using $20 irons for years and I was skeptical that the more expensive irons were that much better. Well, I was wrong. We used the iron on both of our hair and it definitely made the hair smoother, it handled easier, and our hair looked better, It also seems much better made as we were replacing our old irons once a year or so. In this case we got what we paid for and it was worth it. Now I need to start saving my pennies to I can buy one for me when she leaves for college in the fall.

What kind did you get? I have had mine for years and it cost $100 (paul mitchell) but it's going to die soon. I can tell! And I need a good one!

Hey fellow cincy!
I totally agree! My dd16 and i have each have our own and i couldn't do without my hair straightener, she just got hers a month ago and loves it.
Kim

It is a Centrix. It was recommended over the Chi by the salon (and a stranger in the salon waiting for her appointment) becuase you can adjust the temperature to you hair type and not burn your hair. Glad yours lasted a few years. Hopefully we can get that. Of couse it will be going to college in the fall and that could be scary.

I believe that is it. The box does say Cricket company on it in small print. Let me know how ordering it from there goes. I knew we would overpay buying it at a salon, but had no choice due to our time crunch. Would love to find a cheaper place to order mine.

I think spending money on a good straightener (if you use it regularly) is always worth it! Good salon-quality straighteners have 100% ceramic plates instead of ceramic coated on the cheap ones. I was also replacing my cheap straighteners every year until I coughed up the money for a good one (a Solia - also recommended over the Chi because of the adjustable temp controls). My Solia has been going strong for 3 years now and shows no sign of wear at all! And my hair is much less damaged from the ceramic plates, so I don't have to cut it as often to keep it looking healthy.

I just got a haircut that I think would look better if I used a straightener (angled bob style). Never used one and my hair is straight, would it look more done if I ironed it? Should I start with a cheaper one? I do have a DD 11 who will likely eventually be using it too

My hair is very curly (ok, borderline frizzy) and I won't leave the house without straightening. Several of my daughter's friends who have what I consider straight hair do straighten theirs to make it look bettetr (their words, not mine). That is all I can say about straightening already straight hair.You can buy a cheap one relatively inexpensively to see if you like the look better. I would hate for you to spend $100 or so on something you later decide you don't need. You can pass it on to your daughter for her to use so it would not be a waste of money. I just wish they had (or maybe they did and I just did not know about them) when I was growing up. I hated my curly hair. I do have one friend who told me she would iron her hair with an iron when she was in high school. That sounds like a bad burn waiting to happen.

I also have the Solia and really like it.

I think spending money on a good straightener (if you use it regularly) is always worth it! Good salon-quality straighteners have 100% ceramic plates instead of ceramic coated on the cheap ones. I was also replacing my cheap straighteners every year until I coughed up the money for a good one (a Solia - also recommended over the Chi because of the adjustable temp controls). My Solia has been going strong for 3 years now and shows no sign of wear at all! And my hair is much less damaged from the ceramic plates, so I don't have to cut it as often to keep it looking healthy.

I just returned my daughter's In Styler, what a piece of junk! Her $20.00 straightner from Target does a much better job.

I forget the brand names, but I got an inexpensive straightener last year. It worked great, but only had 1 setting and my hair had to be dry to use. My hair looked great, but it was frying my hair and giving me lots of dead ends.

For Christmas my family bought me a new one for somewhere between $25 and $40 (can't remember the exact price). Its great its steam drys my hair which leaves it softer and straighter then the original one. Also I don't have the dead ends like I did before. It also has a temperature setting depending on your hair type.

If investing in a straightener whether you pay a little or a lot I would look for the temperature control and I like the steam drying one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter