Story about first time visits to Disneyland

william5419

Earning My Ears
https://www.wdwinfo.com/disneylandc...ic-of-disneyland-whats-your-first-time-story/
My first visit to Disneyland was in 1962. I was eight years old. My family and my aunt's family went there. We took separate cars.

We traveled up old highway 101, before I-5 was built. We entered Disneyland on West Drive from Katella Ave.

I remembered some of what I rode. I rode the kiddie version of the Autopia that was operated by the controller. Therefore, whatever gas pedal there was, it was all one speed only. I could steer the vehicle.

I also saw the show at the Golden Horseshoe Stage. I went on the Jungle Cruise and almost broke my leg when the attendant pushed me onto the boat. I went on the monorail.

After leaving the park before dusk, we all dinner at a nearby restaurant. After dinner, my aunt's family went back to Colorado and my family headed back to San Diego.

I can only remember that much.

Last edited:
My first visit was in 1960. I don't remember anything about it. But I have picture that I treasure
rik-madhatter1-jpg.571160

I went during my 2nd college program--flights were on sale, tickets were free, hotel was discounted, and my friends' days off aligned perfectly. We've been going to WDW since I was little every year but I'd never been to Disneyland until then. It was absolutely magical, gave me the same feeling I got at WDW when I was little!

I went during my 2nd college program--flights were on sale, tickets were free, hotel was discounted, and my friends' days off aligned perfectly. We've been going to WDW since I was little every year but I'd never been to Disneyland until then. It was absolutely magical, gave me the same feeling I got at WDW when I was little!

I had the same feeling of my first visit to WDW in 1974. It was so similar to Disneyland that I thought I was in Disneyland.

My first trip was also 1960, so I would have been 8. Went again with the family a year or two later, so I tend to mix up memories. Things I remember --

Standing in the line that wrapped around the Matterhorn for 2 hours(!) with my brother, who's a year older. We thought it was worth it.

Riding the Skyway multiple times. Ditto the teacups (can't take it anymore at my age!)

My younger brother would have been 3 in 1960, so this memory is probably from the later trip, when he was 4 or 5. The only "ride" he wanted to go on was the pirate ship run by Starkist. Wasn't really a ride, just a counter service restaurant serving tuna sandwiches inside the ship. But, being pirate themed, little brother couldn't be budged from that boat! All day! Eventually, the parents gave up and we each had to take our turn watching him while everyone else got to go on rides.

ETA - Oh, and the ticket books! A,B,C,D,E. And the booths in the park where you could buy books of extra tickets, which could be used for any ride, so of course you saved them for the E-ticket rides!

Last edited:
My first visit to Disneyland was in 2010. The one and only time I had been to a Disney park was Walt Disney World in 1992, so I was totally clueless.

Since 1992 I had this dream of going back to a Disney park and doing it my way, not with family who were not Disney people.

In 2010 I finally got the chance with a group of friends from California , who had grown up going to the parks. I was just so over whelmed by everything, I had no idea of what rides were what, I only knew about the rides I remembered from 1992. It was great being with friends who knew the parks but at the same time I felt so lost and disorientated. My friends wanted to give me the best time ever but didn't understand the sensory overload and that I didn't even know the most basic things about the parks. They assumed that because they had grown up with Disney Parks, that everyone else had the same knowledge and nostalgia they did.

We went again in 2011 and 2012 and I was a lot more prepared and knew what to expect.

But it wasn't until 2013 and my first solo trip to Disneyland, that I finally started to really enjoy the parks and to find my Disneyland happy place.

My grandma lived about 15 minutes away. My first visit was when I was a year old, so no memories! I am 6 months younger than Disneyland, so the park I grew up with as a child was very different from today. I've enjoyed the evolutions but also have nostalgic times when I miss things about the park back in the earlier days. Part of that is probably linked to the nostalgia for childhood, but overall I love the way DLR has continued to expand and mature.

Riding the Skyway multiple times. Ditto the teacups (can't take it anymore at my age!)
... the pirate ship run by Starkist. Wasn't really a ride, just a counter service restaurant serving tuna sandwiches inside the ship.
... and the ticket books! A,B,C,D,E. And the booths in the park where you could buy books of extra tickets, which could be used for any ride, so of course you saved them for the E-ticket rides!

Ah, yes! I remember those too. My first visit was in 1956 when I was 5. Park had been open just about a year. My dad took me. That became a yearly ritual in the summer and I looked forward to that one special day eagerly (I lived in northern Cal at that time). I can't say that I really remember anything from that very first trip, being only 5 years old. But that started a life-long love of all things Disney. I have very clear memories of the drive from the Long Beach area down Katella through miles and miles of orange groves. And we would keep watching out the window to try to be the first one to spot the Rocket Ship to the Moon, which was the tallest landmark in the park in those days before the Matterhorn.

I remember that pirate ship very clearly. That was such a treat. The skyway was so cool. And even more so when they built the Matterhorn and the skyway went through it. I think you can still see remnants of the loading area in Tomorrowland above the bathrooms at the north side of the Starwars Launch Bay, which was originally the Carousel of Progress.

In the early years (don't know when this disappeared) they had a demonstration circle where they would fly model airplanes on control lines. The circle was right where the People Mover loading area is at. They would often have 2 guys out there at the same time, each flying 2 planes (one with each hand) and they would be doing lots of aerobatic tricks with those 4 planes all at the same time. Those guys were good. It started my love of flying model planes. I may have even bought a trainer there in Disneyland if I'm remembering correctly. That area later became the Astro Orbiter. Then they built the People Mover and relocated the Astro Orbiter on top of it. Wow, now we were really flying high! Of course, they eventually moved the Astro Orbiter to its present position at the entrance of Tomorrowland

Later when I was attending college at Long Beach (around 1970), I began to go on a frequent basis. At the time I think you could buy just an entrance ticket without the A-E tickets. That way I could go in an evening and just soak up the atmosphere, doing the "free" stuff that did not require a ticket. Or I could purchase the book of just E tickets, which is what you wanted anyway. (Wish I had saved some of those left-over A B and C tickets that you always seemed to have.)

In 1971 I met my wife while working at a theme park (Magic Mountain). That job was the coolest time, Was in a band that played in the evenings and we could come and go at that park anytime we wanted. It was like our own personal park because that first year they were not crowded. Then came marriage and family (2 daughters). Of course, we took them to Disneyland very early in their lives. I remember a time when my youngest was about 3 and we were walking through Fantasyland and the Big Bad Wolf was walking through the area. She was TERRIFIED and went screaming and running away from us. A chase ensued and we got her calmed down. The girls both still have a great love for Disney.

We don't get to go as often anymore, but its still one of my favorite places on earth. Will be in WDW in 3 weeks (haven't been there for about 8 years). Looking forward to getting back to the original later on.

My parents took my brother for his first trip when he was 4 or 5. They thought I was too young so they left me behind with my grandparents. While there they saw tons of kids my age having the time of their life and felt very guilty, so when they got home they immediately booked a return trip for just the three of us - my brother sat that one out. I don't remember a single thing about that trip but my brother still remembers me pulling my Bumblelion by the tail through the airport when we got back.

I was 8 (1968.). I remember we stood in a LONG line for Pirates, and overall, we had a great time. We did some sort of Welcome to Disneyland tour. But my biggest memory? Standing on Main St watching fireworks next to some guy who was smoking and getting burned on the arm by his cigarette. When I yelled, there was no Sorry or anything, he said I needed to watch out better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter