• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Storing paper in 2 Gallon Ziplocks?

sweet maxine

DIS Veteran
I'm working on finishing up organizing my scrap area, and I had an idea about storing the paper in my Target cubes (horizontal) in 2-gallon ziplock bags. Is there any problem with doing this, or is it necessary for paper to be in those archival storage folders like M's sells? I want to keep my paper covered as I would worry about dust getting to it.

I keep my paper in the target cubes and in the priority mail boxes, they definently lay flat in the cubes and kind of lean in the boxes (but that's user error, I cut the dang boxes to low). I haven't covered any of my paper though. I like to get at it fast (when the inspiration strikes). :) maggie

What if you just covered the whole cube instead of each shelf of paper? A nice fabric cover or something?

I'm going to have to change up my thoughts on storing my paper I guess. I remember reading about putting your pages together and putting them in the ziplock bags until you're ready to scrap them to take to a crop night. I just didn't know you couldn't leave them in the bags for longer storage.

Thanks for the heads up!

have to admit, I have paper sitting in a ziplock that's been there for at least a year or so, can't say that I've noticed anything happening to the paper, used some yesterday in fact. maggie

I was curious about this too. From what I've read, the plastics should be safe - so I did a Google search. So far, I haven't found any links saying otherwise. It would depend on whether the bags were made with PVC or acetate.

I came across the "Scrapbook Preservation Society" Website (didn't know there was such a place :confused3) and thought this might help:

"What questions should I ask my retailer or supplier to ensure that a product is safe for preservation scrapbooking?
That depends on the product. The answer for adhesives won’t be the same as for papers and won’t be the same as for eyelets as for pressed flowers.

Papers - lignin-free, neutral sized, buffered, passes PAT

Plastics - PVC free, non cellulose (acetate or nitrate), preferably polypropylene, polyester, or polyethylene, passes PAT

Adhesives - passes PAT, no latex/rubber

Inks - pigment, fade-proof, waterproof, bleed-proof, lightfast, passes PAT

Embellishments - the questions to ask at this time are unknown—everyone must decide for her/himself if they are willing to risk using embellishments that one day may prove harmful to their photos and scrapbook creations"

It's an interesting site. Here's a link to their FAQ: http://www.scrapbookpreservationsociety.com/faq.htm#16

Deb, thanks for going to all that trouble to find out some great info! I'm going to look at that site. I also had no idea that one like that existed.

Maggie, I had to laugh about the paper being stored in the ziplock! It's just all the "acid-free" and "photo safe" warnings we hear. I have an old scrapbook my mom made for me with pix from elementary school. The pages in the book are fine, and have not deteriorated any yet. The pix are in good shape too, and that's after being glued (yes, with Elmer's glue!) to the pages.

I just don't know quite where to take a stand on all the "acid-free" issues. I'm planning on scrapping quite a few things into my Disney pages, like receipts, ticket stubs, etc., and I'm sure they're not on acid-free paper.

Please excuse my double post. :blush:

I just wanted to say that I just visited the scrapbook preservation society site, and all I can say is "Wow!". There is so much info on there! I'm going to probably download some of their articles. There's some very interesting reading there, just in the terminology page.

I looked up Ziploc brand bags, and on their website it states that they are made of polyethylene plastic. So I'm guessing (pending making a call to them), that they would be on the "safe" list. Maybe I can find something more out this morning by calling the company directly.

That is so funny that this should come up. I almost did the same thing this weekend. I wanted to store my paper in bags to protect it from dust. But I was not sure if I could or not.

Okay, I called S.C. Johnson Co., and asked about using the Ziploc brand bags to store scrapbook paper. The reply I got was kind of a non-commital "I think we can't recommend using them for paper storage, as the plastic bags may turn yellow over time." I was told that the bags are made from polyethylene though. I guess they haven't had that question come up before. The lady who talked with me was very helpful, and even signed me up to receive some free coupons!

I guess I'll go back to reading on the scrapbook preservation site again. I don't know if anything drastic will happen from putting the paper in these bags, but I'll try to find out more.

WHat about the plastic envelopes that Michaels sells specifically for this purpose? They often have them on sale for $1.50 or so and they hold quite a bit. I can't think of who makes them, but they come in a variety of colors.

I have been using Ziplock bags to store paper (not necessarily for scrapping), for several years, and haven't had any problem.

Polyethylene is a photo safe plastic. So the ziplocs should be ok. EIther there may be impurites in teh bag that causes them to tell you the paper may turn yellow OR, and I'm guessing this is nore the case, they just can't tell you it's photo safe and open themselves up for liability. Or, they have sub companies that sell photo safe product and don't want to compete. If it is polyethylene, though, you should be fine.

FYI - PVC is the worst plasitic, due to its stabilizers. Stay away from PVC.

All that Deb posted jives with CM info too.

Thanks for the leg work on Ziplocs, I was wondering before what they were made of.

I'm thinking the same thing, and she actually said the plastic bags may turn yellow over time. Come to think of it, I've never noticed a Ziploc bag turning yellow or any other color for that matter. I think it may be as you said about the liability issue, as that is kind of the gist I got from the conversation.

The liability issue makes a lot of sense, as does the non compete issue.

I've made a wire cube rack for some of my paper and started using the 2 gallon bags to keep my paper from getting messed up. The bags are easier to slide in and out than a bunch of paper.

I also use the 2 gallon bags to prep my pages and store swap items or specific theme paper, embellishments, etc. by theme (I stand those bags up in a crate).

Whether it is archival safe, I don't know. I figure that I'm not going to keep it there forever - well, maybe if I don't get scrapping, lol. It hasn't been there long enough to yellow the bags or the items.

Jeanne

I think the folks that are worried about Acid Free/ Lignon Free.. are more worried about it for the long term (50-100+ years from now)

Alot of the 'scrap safely' stuff comes out of what professional archivers do, use and reccomend. Most say if want to use embellishments and paper, like receipts, maps and souvie stuff, you should be ok, as long as you don't put it "on" the picture. The idea is to keep the picture safe for as long as possible. Alot of folks get doubles from film and keep 1 set in a special place and scrap the second set. Digital scrappers, print what they need and store the rest online, on their pc, or on cd/dvd.

.. and hopefully no one is using those awful 'magnetic pages' anymore (they oughtta be illegal!) ;)

--heather

heathrow42 said:
.. and hopefully no one is using those awful 'magnetic pages' anymore (they oughtta be illegal!) ;)

--heather
Oh yes, I totally agree - I have always hated those!!! I can't believe they still sell them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter