Store brand VS name brand turkey

So I know this is a stupid question, but I'm new to the turkey making thing also. I looked up Emeril's brine recipe and it says to soak for 24 hours. There is no liquid so do you just rub the salt/brown sugar on the bird and scatter the herbs, oranges and lemons around it? I'm assuming in a bag? Thanks!

Actually a very good question. If new to turkey making, skip the brining step which adds a LOT of extra work/time on an already busy cooking holiday and can make the result excessively salty. (i.e. making gravy from pan drippings of a brined turkey isn't recommended since it will tend to be salty.) Even many of the TV cooking shows are split in their opinion about brining. The traditional definition of 'brining' is soaking in a salt solution/liquid. If you just rub seasonings on a bird isn't brining but more like a dry rub.

All of the major brands of turkeys have websites with a lot of good basic roasting information and use a meat thermometer to tell when the bird has reached the correct temperature. You can get great results without a lot of exotic spices or prep.

So I know this is a stupid question, but I'm new to the turkey making thing also. I looked up Emeril's brine recipe and it says to soak for 24 hours. There is no liquid so do you just rub the salt/brown sugar on the bird and scatter the herbs, oranges and lemons around it? I'm assuming in a bag? Thanks!
The Emeril's recipe I found doesn't list the water as an ingredient. Double check the directions section, it should say you put all the ingredients in 2 gallons of water then add the turkey. If not maybe search for another version as it seems you may be missing a section.

We buy whatever turkey is on sale. Thaw it in the refrigerator. Rinse it. Sprinkle with Tony Chachere's. Inject it with cajun butter and fry it. Cajun fried turkey. Juicy tender deliciousness. We have a turkey fryer and use the oven for ham or rack roast since we serve poultry and some type of other meat.
I do all the cooking except frying the turkey so any help is appreciated. Menu is usually : Dressing, sweet potatoes, mac & cheese (crockpot), brocolli &rice casserole, green beans, deviled eggs, some sort of green salad, cranberry sauce, and rolls. and of course fried turkey and this year baked ham-not spiral sliced-the whole smokey ham :)

Another thing to keep in mind. Regardless of price all turkey is hormone free. It is illegal to use growth hormone in chicken/turkey. It is ok to use antibiotics so if you want to stay away from those then organic is the way to go. Also if you think it's worth the money for free range I would suggest doing a little Google research on exactly what that means. In most cases it doesn't mean a whole lot.

I get the precooked turkey from Jennie o. It’s about saving time more than anything else. Got a 12 lb one for $15. Totally worth the time savings.

last year walmart had the cheapest turkeys around here and I got 3...my sister always cooks a butterball and bastes it forever,etc...I cooked mine in a Reynolds turkey Bag (easy and quick) and my kid said "Mom your turkey is so much juicier than Aunt Jane's"..lol...another time I soaked the bird in orange slices and salt water overnight(got the recipe online),stuffed it and used the bag and my sis thought it was great.
It’s the bag. I cooked a 4.75 butterball boneless turkey breast a few days ago in a bag and it was juicy and wonderful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter