Stopovers - help!

Emmafleur

Mouseketeer
Can I just ask anyone who's done a stopover, do you have to collect your luggage from one flight and re-check in for your next flight? I've never done one before. We've found a flight with a 46min stopover. I'm not a good flyer so the thought of racing around an airport doesn't appeal. Any advice about stopovers would be appreciated. Thanks. The flights are with virgin, direct on the way but a stopover in Atlanta on the way back.

If it's on the way back, then no, you don't pick up your bags - they will be ticketed straight through to the UK.

Can I just ask anyone who's done a stopover, do you have to collect your luggage from one flight and re-check in for your next flight? I've never done one before. We've found a flight with a 46min stopover. I'm not a good flyer so the thought of racing around an airport doesn't appeal. Any advice about stopovers would be appreciated. Thanks. The flights are with virgin, direct on the way but a stopover in Atlanta on the way back.

On your RETURN Journey From Orlando to Atlanta a 46 min Stopover

is a very very Tight Time. .

Yes your luggage will be booked direct to U.K.

BUT If you land on time in Atlanta you still have a lot of walk time & Mono rail time to do.

Your Flight to U.K. will not wait more than a few min. before leaving.

Hi

Going back the bags are checked through to the UK and you dont see them again until youre home. You just have to get from one gate to another. We've not done that flight, however we fly with a lay over via Philadelphia both ways. We where once delayed leaving Orlando which meant we should miss the flight to get home by a good 30 mins .. they waited for us and even the bags made it. I agree 46min is tight althought i don't know how close the gates are. Are they all with Virgin if so I would call them and get reassurance that it's doable?

Regards

Paul

Personally I wouldn't do this with such a tight connection, any delay on the first flight & your not going to make the next one.

Hi

A quick look at the terminal info for Atlanta airport shows Virgin fly from the International terminal only, so it looks like all you have to do is go up one level to departures, so you should be okay tight as it is.

regards

Paul

Are both flights actually on Virgin planes? Or just booked through Virgin? I know that Delta codeshares with Virgin.

Hi

A quick look at the terminal info for Atlanta airport shows Virgin fly from the International terminal only, so it looks like all you have to do is go up one level to departures, so you should be okay tight as it is.

regards

Paul

It looks like all Virgin ATL-MCO/MCO-ATL flights are actually operated by Delta and fly out of the domestic terminal.

It looks like all Virgin ATL-MCO/MCO-ATL flights are actually operated by Delta and fly out of the domestic terminal

Good info didn't see that back to plan B call Virgin and check

I hate code share you think you've got something and you get another :-(

Regards

Paul

remember you have 45 minutes and part of that will be spent on the plane waiting for those you are ahead of you to get off the plane so that cuts into your 45 minutes. I would never do a 45 minute layover in ATL. You may have to change concourses to get to your next flight The tram you have to ride makes several stops at different concourses

Hi, the connection is way way to short. Remember the arrival time is the time you land, you must then taxi to the gate, then disembark the aircraft then find the gate for your next flight that may not be in the same terminal. Isn't atl the busiest airport in the world? Your bags could be up to an hour behind you. Your luggage should be in transit for the whole journey assuming you are flying with the same airline. But always double check. They recommend an hour n a half layover in my experience you should be looking at 3 hours. I would rather be sat about for an hour than longer as you missed connection.

I've booked flights in two weeks time for a 4 hour stopover in PHL and 9 hours on the way back home. My shortest stopover was in Singapore with 55 minutes but didn't have to collect bags or change terminals. I personally wouldn't do it because of all the possible delays

Thanks everyone for all your really helpful replies. The first leg of the homeward journey is with Delta, then onto a Virgin plane at Atlanta. I guess we were just thinking that we didn't want to hang around an airport for ages and they wouldn't sell a stopover flight if the connections weren't doable but sounds like they will I'll keep looking. Just trying to find a cheap deal but not really getting anything at the moment Thanks again

I'm more careful in situations like yours (where I'm connecting to an international flights - which may only be once per day). For example, I flew DC-Atlanta-Santiago. There are many flights between DC and Atlanta but only one daily flight between Atlanta and Santiago (and any of the connecting flights options left before or right around the time of the Atlanta to Chile flight). So, I didn't choose the tightest option on the way there but did choose the tightest option on the way home (knowing that I could get another flight pretty easily). Also, knowing that it was just me flying and that I'm comfortable moving quickly through airports. I think my return trip had about a 90 minute connection though (which still left plenty of time to hit the lounge).

As long as you have a single ticket, your bags will be checked through (the airlines codeshare the flights) even though they aren't the same airline.

And, it is technically "doable" (it meets the minimum connection times or they couldn't sell it), but that doesn't mean that it is a good idea :)

Definitely wouldn't attempt such a short stopover (having twice missed flights as a result of delays with the first flight and not being able to make the gate in time - thanks Expedia for those).

First time worked in our favour as gave us about 6 hours in Paris during the day (was flying via CDG airport). Had time to take the train into Paris and see some of the sites.

Second time not so good as missed last flight and was stuck at CDG..both airlines blamed each other and took over 3 hours for one of them to finally arrange hotel accommodation for the night for those who had missed connections. Next flight was at the crack of dawn so only had a couple of hours sleep before having to get back to the airport again. Not fun.

Give yourself at least 2 hours to get off the plane and to the next gate. Grab a coffee, magazine and use the toilet. You'll feel much more relaxed rather than harassed as to whether you'll make it in time!

We do the Orando - Atlanta connection quite frequently and always give ourselves three hours. The connections involve a ride on the 'plane train' which although very efficient, does take up time. It's a very busy airport and some gates are a good walk from the entry to the terminal.

We've decided to fly direct now. My nerves couldn't cope with stopovers. But you helped us decide so thank you all so much for your great advice

Last edited:
Thank you for letting us know that you are sorted ..... This is what we try to do..... Help people.

Which airline did you book with ? From Where to where ?

Good info. for next person in trouble & needing help

Thank you for letting us know that you are sorted ..... This is what we try to do..... Help people.

Which airline did you book with ? From Where to where ?

Good info. for next person in trouble & needing help
We're flying with BA from Gatwick to MCO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter