Stolen credit card possibly caught on surveillance camera WWYD

LadyBeBop

DIS Veteran
One of my co-workers had her wallet stolen. She immediately had her debit card cancelled and watches put on all three credit bureaus. Her credit union informed her that they attempted to use the card to make a $600 purchase at a local department store. Fortunately, the card was declined, so the person left without making a purchase.

She contacted the police department of the city where the wallet was stolen, and they told her to go to the city where he tried to use the card (about 25 miles away).

She contacted that city's police department, who said she had to go back to the city where the wallet was stolen.

The department store has good surveillance cameras, so she contacted the store to ask to see the tape. They said that police has to get involved.

The credit union gave her the time the attempted purchase was made, so it should be easy to pinpoint the thief. However it seems neither police departments want to get involved.

I told her to get a lawyer. We get free legal consultation through our work. But what would you do?

I'd drop it. It's too expensive for the police dept's to deal with, that is why they are not. A lawyer? That will cost her $2000 and what will she get from it? The satisfaction of a slap on the wrist for whoever did it?

When a bank gets robbed they look at surveillance cameras - but you can't really SEE the person real well. How will your friend, or the police identify the person? Around here they put those photos on TV and stuff. They are not going to do that for a stolen wallet.

I'd just drop it. Really. It's not worth the time or hassle. And, yes, I have had credit cards stolen before, so I am talking from experience.

I'd just drop it. Really. It's not worth the time or hassle.
I agree. You report it as lost or stolen to the credit union and move on.

Legally, most debit and credit cards are not *yours*. They are legally owned by the issuing financial institution, and the account holder is the authorized user of that card. One debit card I have even says this right on the back: "This card is property of XYZ Bank." So its really the bank/credit union's job to handle the *attempted* stolen property issue with the police.

Out of curiosity, how do you think getting your own lawyer would help in this situation?

Out of curiosity, how do you think getting your own lawyer would help in this situation?

I wouldn't have her hire a lawyer per se. We get a half hour a year free law consultation.

I was going to have her hire the lawyer to force the store to show her the survellance tape. Probably with the police.

She is out very little money (a $7 McDonald's charge), so yes it's not worth it. But the wallet also contained her social security card. So she has to get fraud watches on all the credit bureaus.

Why do I suggest her do this? To make sure the thief doesn't do this again. She spent most of the past week dealing with police, credit union, credit bureaus, etc. No one should have to do this.

The CU should have told her they'd handle it. It's really their problem anyway.

If she went to a lawyer, the only way they could subpoena the surveillance tapes is through a court order. These tapes are the private property of the store after-all, and I certainly hope they don't share them freely with members of the general public. Which means that a lawsuit would have to be filed and a judge sign an order. Your friend and the lawyer don't know who thief is, so they don't have a person to sue.

The lawyer could request that the cops investigate the case, but that's about it....its their decision how far to pursue it. It really the CU's job to press charges since your friend hasn't really been 'harmed' by this situation. She'll likely be made whole by the CU if she followed their procedures for reporting lost and stolen cards.

I understand the frustration. A very close friend had his apartment robbed and identity stolen. The worst part wasn't the missing items, but that a/the criminal gave my friend's name and info at some point when he was arrested. So my friend had to go to criminal court and say "I'm the real John Paul Jones please clear my record".

But the bottom line is that the only person to go after in these situations is the criminal...and most of these criminals have nothing to take, even if you were to win a lawsuit. That's why its called being a victim.

The best thing to do is to get an identity guard service and move on.

Honestly, I would drop it also. Due to privacy laws, she won't be able to see the tapes anytime soon.

She has protected herself as much as she can, and yes it is crap. However, the theif whether he/she gets caught will more than likely do it again. I would bet your friends wallet is not the first and not the last. LE is in a position where this type of thing is rampade thse days. I know it sucks to be out the time and the aggravation, i know first hand believe me, but she needs to be glad she was only out 7.50 monetarily.

I know someone who had their ssn stolen in 1999. They are still trying to recover to the tune of 30,000 bucks. Before there were securities in place people were getting taken for cars, money etc. Horrible.

Kelly

One of my co-workers had her wallet stolen. She immediately had her debit card cancelled and watches put on all three credit bureaus. Her credit union informed her that they attempted to use the card to make a $600 purchase at a local department store. Fortunately, the card was declined, so the person left without making a purchase.

She contacted the police department of the city where the wallet was stolen, and they told her to go to the city where he tried to use the card (about 25 miles away).

She contacted that city's police department, who said she had to go back to the city where the wallet was stolen.

The department store has good surveillance cameras, so she contacted the store to ask to see the tape. They said that police has to get involved.

The credit union gave her the time the attempted purchase was made, so it should be easy to pinpoint the thief. However it seems neither police departments want to get involved.

I told her to get a lawyer. We get free legal consultation through our work. But what would you do?

I would call the local news station and paper and see if they would like to print the theifs picture to see if anyone in the area knows him. They do that by us anyway. I do think it is up to the local police department where the store is.

Nothing is going to happen. A lawyer isn't going to be able to do anything. I'm sorry that your friend had her SS card in her wallet, but that is one of the biggest no-no's around. You don't carry that with you. Live and learn.

I would call the local news station and paper and see if they would like to print the theifs picture to see if anyone in the area knows him. They do that by us anyway. I do think it is up to the local police department where the store is.

Which needs access to the takes which will require a warrant or court order to obtain. The store isn't going to just hand the tapes to any random person (and they shouldn't) because they are private property. They have to go through the correct channels.

It sounds to me like her credit union is not doing it's job, and that is really the source of all her stress and aggravation.

About a year ago my Discover card was 'stolen'. I had the physical card, but apparantly someone cloned it (I believe that is the term). I got a call from Discover asking me if I had used my card at the Apple Store. I had not. Turns out, whomever was using my cloned card managed to charge $3,000 at the Apple Store and Macy's. They made one small purchase at the Apple Store, got away with it, so then went on a spending spree.

Discover handled EVERYTHING in a 15 minute phone call, took my statement (basically saying no I didn't charge anything and yes I had the actual card in my possession), cancelled my account, opened a new account, removed all charges from my old account--I was liable for nothing. They told me they would be contacting the local police and video tapes would be pulled since the purchases were made in person at stores, but also said I had no further obligation. Fifteen minutes--done. I never heard anything else about it, and I didn't pay a dime. Needless to say, Discover is now my go-to credit card!

I'm sorry for your friend's inconvenience, but it sounds like she's going through a lot of hassle for nothing. Her CU needs to do their job and take it from here.

Which needs access to the takes which will require a warrant or court order to obtain. The store isn't going to just hand the tapes to any random person (and they shouldn't) because they are private property. They have to go through the correct channels.

My point is that in our town they post those video pictures the same day or next day after the theft. I don't know if they do a warrant or court order that fast here or if the stores just cooperate or what but it is done fast. I was suprised when I saw the local news post pics from someone who found a wallet (lady admitted she lost it) he walked out with the wallet took out the cash and came back in and turned in the wallet with all the ID's, just the cash missing. They posted that picture from the video within hours. I guess all towns are not the same?

I am so sick and tired of all these BAD people getting away with things. Everyone is who saying to 'drop it'. Shame on you!! These thieves should be caught. Because you know why?? They weren't able to make the purchase this time, but they'll just STEAL someone else's information and try again. Do you know why? Because they can and nothing happens to them when they do.

Those of you who are saying to drop it? What if it's YOUR card information they steal next time? Do you still wish to have suggested to drop it?

When these thieves steal things, it is a total invasion of privacy. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to change everything about your bank account or not having the money.

I am VERY jaded by all this theft and Police not being able to or wanting to do anything about it.

Over Memorial Day weekend we had found out that someone stole our debit card information and wiped out our bank account plus some. It took over two weeks for the bank to even give us our money back based on regulation E. We did contact two different police departments in the cities where the cards were used.

So my advice is to contact the police department in the city with the store was again. Your friend may talk with someone else that may be more helpful in trying to find the THIEF who stole her information.

We have to stop this. It is not okay.

This is not the first time that I had money stolen from me. Unfortunately, I wasn't protected the first time and it's just NOT FAIR. Most of us are very GOOD people and we do not deserve something like this that happens to us.

Sorry for the rant......this is hitting too close to home.

It sounds to me like her credit union is not doing it's job, and that is really the source of all her stress and aggravation.

About a year ago my Discover card was 'stolen'. I had the physical card, but apparantly someone cloned it (I believe that is the term). I got a call from Discover asking me if I had used my card at the Apple Store. I had not. Turns out, whomever was using my cloned card managed to charge $3,000 at the Apple Store and Macy's. They made one small purchase at the Apple Store, got away with it, so then went on a spending spree.

Discover handled EVERYTHING in a 15 minute phone call, took my statement (basically saying no I didn't charge anything and yes I had the actual card in my possession), cancelled my account, opened a new account, removed all charges from my old account--I was liable for nothing. They told me they would be contacting the local police and video tapes would be pulled since the purchases were made in person at stores, but also said I had no further obligation. Fifteen minutes--done. I never heard anything else about it, and I didn't pay a dime. Needless to say, Discover is now my go-to credit card!

I'm sorry for your friend's inconvenience, but it sounds like she's going through a lot of hassle for nothing. Her CU needs to do their job and take it from here.

Her Credit Union did what they needed to do. They stopped the card and I'm sure issued her another one. What do you want them to do? She wasn't out any money and the CU wasn't out any money. The purchase did not go through, so no one was out the money. What exactly are they pursuing on her behalf? The biggest concern and point for the "hassle" is she had her SS card in her wallet. That is not anyone's problem but hers. In your case the purchase went through and they needed to catch the person because they needed to recoup the loss.

It sounds to me like her credit union is not doing it's job, and that is really the source of all her stress and aggravation....

Oh, the credit union is doing its job. :) (I bank there too.) They informed her that the card was being used at the department store. They're issuing her a new card, adn the old card has been cancelled. She's only out about $12 ($7 at McDonalds plus $5 reissue card fee). That's cheap, and not worth pursuing. And the card is no longer valid.

(Edit to add...Or what Alexander posted right before I did. Speaking of which):

I'm sorry that your friend had her SS card in her wallet, but that is one of the biggest no-no's around. You don't carry that with you.

Oh, I know that. :)

I am so sick and tired of all these BAD people getting away with things. Everyone is who saying to 'drop it'. Shame on you!! These thieves should be caught. Because you know why?? They weren't able to make the purchase this time, but they'll just STEAL someone else's information and try again. Do you know why? Because they can and nothing happens to them when they do.

Those of you who are saying to drop it? What if it's YOUR card information they steal next time? Do you still wish to have suggested to drop it?

When these thieves steal things, it is a total invasion of privacy. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to change everything about your bank account or not having the money.

I am VERY jaded by all this theft and Police not being able to or wanting to do anything about it.

Over Memorial Day weekend we had found out that someone stole our debit card information and wiped out our bank account plus some. It took over two weeks for the bank to even give us our money back based on regulation E. We did contact two different police departments in the cities where the cards were used.

So my advice is to contact the police department in the city with the store was again. Your friend may talk with someone else that may be more helpful in trying to find the THIEF who stole her information.

This is not the first time that I had money stolen from me. Unfortunately, I wasn't protected the first time and it's just NOT FAIR. Most of us are very GOOD people and we do not deserve something like this that happens to us.

Sorry for the rant......this is hitting too close to home.

Yep, it was my card number that was stolen just a few weeks ago. Credit union called and said two large purchases were attempted at a Walmart near Baltimore (I live in NY). The purchases did not fit my pattern of spending, so they did not authorize them, blocked my card, and called me. I was issued a new card and no money was ever taken from my account.

Should I sit and wonder who did it? Seriously? This happens thousands and thousands of times a day. I have much more important things to do with my life than worry about who it was. Will they do it again, probably, is there anything I can do about it, no, not really.

Should I sit and wonder who did it? Seriously? This happens thousands and thousands of times a day. I have much more important things to do with my life than worry about who it was. Will they do it again, probably, is there anything I can do about it, no, not really.

If we as a people don't do anything, we are just enabling those who do bad things to continue doing bad things.

Lucky for you that your money was saved by your CU catching things. What if next time someone steals information from you that allows them to take money from you. Would you still have the same blase attitude?

True, but perhaps one of the reasons it happens thousands and thousands of times every day is that thieves know this sort of activity is seldom prosecuted. It is primarily a failure of law enforcement, in my view, and I've seen it first hand - cities with enough resources to issue hundreds of speeding and parking tickets every day pleading lack of manpower when it comes to stolen credit cards and other identity theft issues.

Considering that "thou shalt not steal" is one of the 10 commandments, I'm guessing thieves have been around since the beginning of the universe. And even in the most authoritarian societies in the world, theft is a problem. So unless there's a 1-to-1 ratio between the number of cops and citizens, some people of low moral character are going to try to take what they want without regard to ownership.

Personally, I'd press it further with the card company that I wanted charges filed. Sure, she's only out $12, but if her wallet was stolen, this is a crime.

My mother had her purse snatched, and the person tried to use more than one card. She filed a police report and honestly didn't think she'd hear anything else. The man was caught about two weeks later after committing armed robbery in either Georgia or Alabama. I'm not saying this is the case with your friends case ... but the police were pleased (and shocked) that she wanted to push filing charges in her case. Most people don't think it's worth the time.

Most people don't think it's worth the time.
Again, most people don't have the 'jurisdiction' to pursue the matter: the card is *owned* by the issuing financial institution, so though it is in your possession, it is legally the property of that institution. That institution is the one who has had something stolen. Most people do not have anything lost as a result of the crime....yes maybe funds are missing from your account for a few days but once the funds are available to you again, they are no longer missing.

Also worth noting at this point that carrying/using debit cards is a bit riskier from a theft perspective:

Your maximum liability under federal law for unauthorized use of your credit card is $50. If you report the loss before your credit cards are used, the FCBA says the card issuer cannot hold you responsible for any unauthorized charges.
Your liability under federal law for unauthorized use of your ATM or debit card depends on how quickly you report the loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter