Stingray Excursion at Castaway Cay or Grand Cayman??

Scooby3x1y

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done stingrays both places? Which place is better to do it in? We may have enough to do a private boat either place, has anyone done it privately and not through Disney?

I can only give my opinion of Castaway Cay's excursion (you can't do a private boat there, to my knowledge) and I loved the CM's explaination of where Stingray's come from, the different types/sizes, their behavior/manners, and then what to do when getting into the water with them "The Stingray Shuffle".

After feeding them, we got to snorkel with them for a while, which was really cool. I would do CC's again in a heartbeat, and it's pretty cheap at $35 (when I sailed).

I have done both (grand cayman twice) I 100% say grand cayman. It feels more, real and open. Castaway is ok, esp. for people who may be afraid since they are more :trainied: to the mickey heads. I feel that at castaway I did not get the hands on real action that i did in GC. in Stingray they are all over and in castaway after they eat they kind of avoid the humans.

Thanks a million for the great replies. When you did the GC....did you do it through DCL or private?

I'd be willing to do it privately just to get the extra time and attention, and beat the crowds there.

We also have done Stingray City in GC. We did not go through Disney but booked it on our own through Captain Marvin's. Captain Marvin's was about a 10 minute walk from the ship. They were wonderful to deal with!

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

It was an amazing experience. The stingrays literally were swimming OVER my shoulder! Our DD was 7 and I was carrying her as she was quite scared. I was swimming back to the boat with her and one of the stingrays came up behind me and it's "wing" came out of the water and over my shoulder like it was greeting me! Once we got back to the boat our captain who was in the water saw that DD was scared so he CARRIED a stingray over to the boat so DD could reach down and pet it. AMAZING!! Here are a few photos of the excursion:

2337681913_a66893f2e8_b.jpg

2337678399_5e9417911c_b.jpg

2338520702_85a3813c50_b.jpg

We also have done Stingray City in GC. We did not go through Disney but booked it on our own through Captain Marvin's. Captain Marvin's was about a 10 minute walk from the ship. They were wonderful to deal with!

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

It was an amazing experience. The stingrays literally were swimming OVER my shoulder! Our DD was 7 and I was carrying her as she was quite scared. I was swimming back to the boat with her and one of the stingrays came up behind me and it's "wing" came out of the water and over my shoulder like it was greeting me! Once we got back to the boat our captain who was in the water saw that DD was scared so he CARRIED a stingray over to the boat so DD could reach down and pet it. AMAZING!! Here are a few photos of the excursion:

2337681913_a66893f2e8_b.jpg

2337678399_5e9417911c_b.jpg

2338520702_85a3813c50_b.jpg

Thanks for sharing your photos. How many were on your Captain Marvin's boat?

Thanks a million for the great replies. When you did the GC....did you do it through DCL or private?

I'd be willing to do it privately just to get the extra time and attention, and beat the crowds there.

We booked on our own through Captain Marvin's. We booked online, went by to check in at the shop (walking distance from the dock), then went to have some lunch and went back when it was time to go on the excursion. There were about a dozen or so people on the boat that took us out. We had a great time. I'd say it's my favorite thing I've done on a cruise so far. :goodvibes

I've done both and agree with the others that Grand Cayman wins, hands down. We also went through Capt. Marvin's and it was a great experience. Less crowds, and the guides were fantastic. Have a wonderful time! :)

Thanks for the replies. Last cruise we were diverted from GC, so I don't have any experience there.

Did you book really early? Do they get booked up early? We're cruising in December, and I tend to be an OCP. (Obsessive Compulsive Planner)

Thanks for the replies. Last cruise we were diverted from GC, so I don't have any experience there.

Did you book really early? Do they get booked up early? We're cruising in December, and I tend to be an OCP. (Obsessive Compulsive Planner)

We are 26 days out and Capt Marvin's has told me they have availability for both the group excursion and the private half day charter. We are in the process of reserving the private half day charter right now.

Grand Cayman is better than the one on Castaway - except if you have small kids. When we went, my youngest nephew was 5 and it was way too scary for him. Since you are out in the "ocean," the waves can be kinda big for smaller kids too. Either way, you HAVE to do it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter