Still getting over a cold - hand surgery on Monday

minniecarousel

Chris Isaak fan
I’ve been fighting a cold for a few weeks. Last Saturday it blossomed into a full-blown coughing nose-blower. I felt pretty good yesterday but woke up this morning hacking up crud. I am scheduled for hand surgery on Monday morning & they’ll use conscious sedation (prob propfol). How “over” this cold should I be for this? I’m desperate to have this surgery & don’t want to put it off.

you will be fine, but they might laugh at you cause you could have a booger in your nose (they might take your pic when you out and post it on facebook)

I think they mainly only worry about this for general anesthesia and not the propofol stuff. For instance, I think people who have colds don't end up getting their colonoscopies cancelled!!

The concern is prolonged, slow respiration due to general anesthesia which may also involved a breathing tube.

If you think you'll have difficulty breathing on the table, I'd consider delaying. Plus, you have a virus in your system. You could transmit it to others caring for you, but also it may not be good for your own recovery. YMMV Going into a surgery, ideally you should be well.

Speak to your doctor. It will be their call as to postponing or going ahead based off of how ill you are.

I am so sorry you are not feeling well and are having to have surgery soon!

You mentioned a few weeks?
A virus like a cold usually lasts a week to ten days.
I would now be concerned about bronchitis, or some other kind of upper respiratory infection that has set in.

Do any of the Dr.s know about your situation?
Or was this scheduled earlier, and they do not know at all?

Be totally up-front with them, and they will know best!!!

If the hospital thinks it is not safe they will just tell you and send you home. It really depends on the anesthesia provider.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter